Email: Next best to SEs and PPC?
    What is the best advertising besides SEs and PPC? Would you say email campaigns?
    If so, what types?
    I know there's incentivised email companies... but I am worried people will just read my emails just to get their 5 cents.
    And otherwise, I am afraid if I buy a campaign from a non-inceintive one, I may get mistaken for spam.
    Or is banner (cpm) advertising a good alternative...
    Thanks

From my experience, if e-mails are sent to the database of your current/existing customers, you get a much better response than to PPC campaigns. If you're e-mailing to just a targeted audience (potentially interested in your product), the results (% wise) are about the same as with PPCs.

Geno

I wouldn't suggest email advertising, but I would suggest creating an opt-in newsletter for your site. Like Geno said, that can be very effective.

A general, untargeted email ad will have far worse results than PPC, and many of the bigger players in that field are spammers. Stay far, far away from that.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

Quote Originally Posted by Geno - RussianLegacy
    From my experience, if e-mails are sent to the database of your current/existing customers, you get a much better response than to PPC campaigns. If you're e-mailing to just a targeted audience (potentially interested in your product), the results (% wise) are about the same as with PPCs.

Geno
    Thanks Geno:
    Well, I do OK with PPC...
    So if you say Targeted email campaigns are likely to give a similar result to PPC, then I might try that...
    Now the question is... what company?
    If you or anyone can recommend a company that offers good TARGETED email advertising... without getting me in trouble for spam... I would really appreciate it!
    Thanks

Daweller,

If it is a good offer that will compell people to sign up, then you don't have to go the incentivized route. You can always send out an email with strong creative to a well targeted list. It will be more expensive than the other options though. I don't know if your back-end ROI would support it.

For example, if each customer acquired represents $20 for you and you are willing to prat with $5, you could do a test drop and see what your conversion rates are. Let's say you convert at .5%. That means that every 1,000 emails yields 5 new customers. Then you can say that you can spend $25 ($5x5) for each one of those 1,000 emails. So you can pay up to $25 CPM for a premium list.

Granted, those are made up numbers, so please do not use them as a guide. You really have to test.

I have many clients whose offers do great on search but not well on email and vice versa. Testing of offers always allows me to have a good grip on what they can do for my pubs.

Hope this helps! Sorry if I caused more confusion than help.

and then figure out from every thousand sent how many convert.
    Danay @ LunaSolMedia.com
    Global Perfomance Marketing. Global Niche Markets = Opportunity!
    HispanicYa!|MallFreebies

I dwell in possibility. ~Emily Dickinson

Thanks Danay,

Well, I really just want to do a test run...
    I just need to figure out a good source to buy an email campaign from...
    I don't mind spending a few 100$ it it will reveal to me how well my site converts with email...
    Can you recommend a good targeted email place?
    Like I said, I am pretty much ready to buy... and I found a place that says they offer targeted to 500,000 for $100, with guaranteed 10% open rate.
    I'll try them... but if you can suggest someone that's proven good for you, let me know, thanks

PS. I'm also just going to make it a text email... do you feel strongly about HTML ads over text? Or viceversa?

HTML is more likely to get caught in spam filters - so keep it as simple as you can.

I use Topica - http://lists.topica.com/ which is free (it sometimes puts ads onto your mailings though, which is a fair trade-off). You can always export the data into something else later, but it's nice and easy to use and I managed about 7000 subscribers on it.
    Innovative advertising with Slimeware Corporation and Telephore. Mail-order fuel with Petrol Direct.

Hi Daweller,

YOu can email me at danay@filinet.com and I will point you in the right direction. I can tell you that at $100, 500K leads amounts to 20 cents per thousand emails sent. That means the quality of leads is really low.

There are many questions you should be asking like:

Are you purchasing those email addresses or sending to their list? Purchased emails have very low return, since they've been sold to a bagillion people all trying to sell something.

What are you selling and to whom?

etc. etc.
    Danay @ LunaSolMedia.com
    Global Perfomance Marketing. Global Niche Markets = Opportunity!
    HispanicYa!|MallFreebies

I dwell in possibility. ~Emily Dickinson

Hi,
    OK I am selling financial services ... debt consolidation and/or mortgage-loans/refinancing.
    The thing is, I do not have my own email addresses...
    I want to buy them... ie. buy a list, email blast, whatever it's called.

My God, Don't Do It!
    You wrote: "I found a place that says they offer targeted to 500,000 for $100, with guaranteed 10% open rate."

Oh, my God. Nobody who operates even the weakest kind of opt-in list will let you email that many people for that price. Period. And I can't imagine that anyone with a genuine opt-in newsletter would include your ad for that price. This would be SPAM, plain and simple.

Even if you're not concerned that such a practice would be immoral, unethical, and illegal, then consider this: if you send spam, the backlash damage WILL severely impair your future business (domain and IP blacklisting, negative goodwill, and the automated addition of YOUR company name and product name to zillions of spam filter rule-sets, and any legitimate merchants will terminate any affiliate relationship with you). And you won't get anywhere by claiming "I didn't know" or "I'm sorry for my mistake, please give me another chance" -- you will generally experience the equivalent of an online "death penalty" (perhaps maiming is a better analogy).

I've heard the same story from potential clients for nearly 9 years now: "They said that they would send my offer only to left-handed organ-grinders who had asked to receive these offers." Yeah, right, weren't you just a little bit suspicious when they offered to send the offer to 100,000 email addresses, since you know that there are only 5,000 left-handed organ-grinders in the USA, most of whom are older fellows who don't use computers? I always (always!) leave these folks to deal with their own mess -- I won't do consulting work or even become an affiliate if the company has this kind of ethical lapse in its history.

(Oops - should've recognized this as a troll)
    I can't believe I wasted five minutes writing a relatively polite response to this post -- now I realize that this troll used a picture of "Mr. Burns" to demonstrate his self-identification as a knowingly ruthless evil-doer.

Quote Originally Posted by tim-store.com
    I can't believe I wasted five minutes writing a relatively polite response to this post -- now I realize that this troll used a picture of "Mr. Burns" to demonstrate his self-identification as a knowingly ruthless evil-doer.
    WTF? No I'm not a troll, I promise. I just think Mr. Burns is the coolest Simpsons character.

Tim, you are probably right about these guys... I should have known, if it looks to good to be true...
    Anyways, I was looking for some alternatives to PPC engines last night... think I might try something like Adbrite or similar... Ill stay away from emails ( for now... heh heh heh *twizzles moustache * )

13. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread