Suggestions for the Fourth World Site
    I downloaded a free copy of Webmerge and liked what it could do, so I decided to purchase a registration. In doing so, I came up with a few suggestions that might make it a little easier for people to buy.

The first thing I did was go to the home page and look for a "buy webmerge" button prominently displayed. I didn't find that, so went to the "products" section. On arriving at the products section, I still didn't find a "buy webmerge" button. I finally figured out I had to click on the Webmerge image. When I did so I came to another page where I immediately searched for a "buy webmerge" button. I didn't see one immediately and so went to the bottom of the page. (Eventually I did see that there was one at the top - but on the right hand side ... didn't even think to look there.) When I finally got through to the page to actually purchase, I clicked and put a registration into my basket. When the page reloaded, it seemed nothing had happened and I was on the same page. I clicked again, and the same thing happened. I did it again, and the same thing happened. It was only after three clicks that I noticed a "checkout" button buried at the top in the right hand corner and camouflaged inside of a blue top bar. When I got to the checkout section, I found that I had 3 copies in my basket and I owed $300! I immediately searched for the "edit basket" button right by the basket total in order to knock my total down to one. Didn't see it anywhere. I tried starting all over, but it still said I had 3 copies in my basket. I thought that there was some session cookie placed on me, so I even turned off my computer (I'm a little embarrassed to admit I went that far, but it's true what they say about a little knowledge being a dangerous thing - I thought knowing about session cookies made me smarter than your average buyer). After turning my computer back on, I found I still had 3 copies in my basket. It was only then that I truly searched the page to find the "edit basket" option. I found it finally in the top left section, buried again in a blue bar. Finally I got it right.

So, my suggestions, based on my own (perhaps stupid) user experience, would be the following. On the front page put a "buy now" button for each of your products in the TOP LEFT corner. On the sales page (if someone hasn't entered the shopping process from the front page or some other way), make a number of "buy now" buttons immediately obvious - Top Left (not right), and FRONT AND CENTER. When the buyer has actually gone through the sales registration and has begun to purchase, it would seem their eyes are now oriented on the $$$ signs in the bottom right hand corner of the screen. Once the viewer's eyes are oriented to the sales transaction in the lower right hand corner of the page, make all the options accessible from RIGHT THERE. Give the sales price, a checkout button, and an edit cart button ... all three together where the buyer's eyes are now oriented.

Others may not be as dumb as I am, but this design would have helped me. I've gone to the trouble of giving this detailed account of my user experience because I find you put a lot of effort into helping people out on this forum and answering their questions. Hopefully, this might help you. Thanks.

Affiliate Manager
    If you click any of the WebMerge links from our front page you'll find that on the page you land on (and all WebMerge pages) there's an Order button at the very top of the nav buttons on the right side.

If you want to review or change the contents of your basket you can click the Basket Contents link.

To complete your order and check out, click Check Out.

Cookies are used to retain values from your last session in the event of an interrupted session. The Basket Contents lets you modify anything from the old session you may not want.

Thank you for your purchase.
    Richard Gaskin
    Developer of WebMerge: Publish any data feed on any site
    http://www.fourthworld.com

I have to agree, the visitor flow to the purchase the product could be made easier.

The shopping cart functions aren't the real issue. It is the initial arrival at either the WebMerge page or your front page that is a little confusing if one is simply buying the product.

The same goes for the product download.

Fred
    PS: I still think you're cool Richard

Affiliate Manager
    It may seem like an extra step today, and I see how I could cut the two steps down to 1. But we have a number of other products in development, and when we add those the current site structure may seem a bit clearer. I appreciate your patience in the meantime, and very much appreciate your clicking the extra link to make your purchase.
    Richard Gaskin

From my perspective, it's not the extra step that's an issue. It is how many steps does it take for the user to get to initiate the purchase of the product or start the download. Or if you prefer, how do I get to the first step? <<(rhetorical question).

That is the place where sales get lost. Once the process is started it's not a big deal.

Fred

Affiliate Manager
    I hear ya'. I'll add a "Buy Now" button to the front page this week.

Thanks for the feedback.
    Richard Gaskin

7. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread