Couple of questions
    Hi there,

I'm helping a friend setup this script on his site. He bought the license, but we're having some trouble setting up a few things:

1 - It's caching product pages for the main product groups, but I need it to cache the pages for a specific category - Baking. If you go to the following page and click a link, it bounces you to amazon instead of displaying the results on the site, how can I fix this? http://www.baking-supply.com/amazon/...e/mode_289668/

But, if I do a search in the kitchen category for "cake pan", it lists off the products and each of those pages are stored locally. What's going on?

2 - How can I change the default search from Books to Baking? So when people go to http://www.baking-supply.com/amazon they'll get a list of baking products instead of topselling books?

Thank-you very much!

1. You don't mean "caching" (caching means storing data in the ae-cache directory). You mean "display pages locally". Upgrade to ae.pl v5.08.16-beta (or higher). If AE cannot parse the data from a browse node, AE redirects the user to that browse node at the amazon.com website (redirection does include your associates ID even though it does not appear in the Address Bar; see FAQ).

2. To set the default search, set the search.default configuration variable in ae.ini to the parameters that you want to use. For example:

search.default "type=browse&mode=289668"

Yours truly,
    Cusimano.Com Corporation
    per: David Cusimano

Cool that did the trick thanks.

Another question for you:

The script caches image files in the imgcache folder, but there're only like 128 bytes, that can't be the actual image. Is there a way to get it to actually download the complete image file and serve it locally?

Thanks

AE doesn't need to save the entire image in the ae-imgcache image cache directory. AE only needs the first 128 bytes since that's where the width/height information of an image file is located. That width/height information is used to add WIDTH= and HEIGHT= attributes to the product images (if imageWH configuration variable is "yes"); also used when the "if" grid option is used. When a user see a product image, their web browser downloaded the product image from amazon.com's website; never from your website.

Yours truly,
    Cusimano.Com Corporation

Yes I understand that, but my question is there some way of making the script actually download the image from amazon and serve it locally instead?

My friend is very adament about having this.

#2 - Simliar Products and Accessories lists are linking to ae.pl?... instead of the search engine friendly url's. Did I misconfigure something?

Also - is there an email address that I can contact you directly at?

Thanks,

-Chris
    Last edited by Baking; August 21st, 2005 at 12:34 AM.

1. With AWS (Amazon.com Web Services), images are supposed to be loaded by the user's web browser directly from the www.amazon.com server. Amazon.com has different rules regarding images when you use AWS compared to when you hand-code your own HTML. If you hand-code your product images/links, then Amazon.com requires that you save the product images on your own server and server them to the user from there. With AWS, Amazon.com allows you to use the IMG SRC URL at the www.amazon.com server. Since Amazon.com allows you to use those IMG SRC URL's, AE uses them. There is no AE configuration option to download and server images from your server. It's not necessary.

2. As indicated in the instructions on setting up Virtual Directory, edit ae.ini and set:

virtual.dir "/store"

(Note: The instructions say "/amazon" but you've put your store in the "/store" virtual directory so use "/store").

3. Contact via support form.

Yours truly,
    Cusimano.Com Corporation

7. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread