Does anyone else get depressed...
    at some of the pathetic commission some of these affiliate programs offer? yes, I'm *****ing, but c'mon. Why even set up an affiliate program if you're going to pay 8 bucks on a "not easy to sell" item.

More Cheesier Than Ever Cheesehead's Avatar
    No, why get depressed? Just don't work with them and find a better merchant. The merchant is in the driver's seat with respect to how good a program they offer. If it is too poor however they don't get good affiliates and worse yet they end up sending affiliates to their competitor. If you can find a better alternate program, let the merchant know and perhaps they will even match the offer. The good (and smart) merchants realize that this works both ways.
    This World is Not My Home
    We're gonna go inside, we're gonna go outside, inside and outside. . . And then we're gonna go go go and we're not gonna stop til we get across that goalline! Quotes from the movie Rudy, 1993

Cheesehead has wise words...

I think it's very important to let the merchant know what your objections are. A good merchant will often make accommodations for you, or will at least acknowledge your message. Sometimes the powers that be won't allow a more competitive program, which dooms it to failure, but they often don't have a good understanding of what it takes to succeed.

I'm amazed at how many merchants have to be educated in affiliate marketing. The good ones will respond improve their program, and it will grow. The bad ones won't, and will likely go away because no one successful will promote them. A good affiliate can spot a bad merchant program from a mile away. And face it, real estate on a good site is expensive.

Andy

If somebody is going to buy something, they are going to buy it. They can buy direct or you can give them the opportunity to buy you lunch. The only time commission percentage matters is when different vendors offer different rates on the same product at the same sale price. When the sale price is different, I'd rather promote for 5% of the lowest price than 10% of the retail price; most online shoppers check several sites offerings before buying, and the lowest price gets the gumball.

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    I agree with Cheesehead.

When the sale price is different, I'd rather promote for 5% of the lowest price than 10% of the retail price; most online shoppers check several sites offerings before buying, and the lowest price gets the gumball.
    I disagree; with most merchants I find that people will buy from whoever I'm pushing, unless that merchant's prices are *way* out of line or their rep sucks.

So, highest commission is king, unless the highest commission place has a really huge clinker that's going to wreck conversions.

If somebody is going to buy something, they are going to buy it. They can buy direct or you can give them the opportunity to buy you lunch.

If a merchant isn't willing to pay a real commission, he or she should be forced to use some other channel to sell their stuff! Think long-term...why should anyone pay you more than 1 or 2% if they can get their links shown for that?
    There is no knowledge that is not power. ~Hemingway

I wouldn't get checks from Dell if I didn't have Dell links up.

Should I take their links down and hound them for a higher commission? Or should I keep it up and continue to collect checks each month for putting in 20 minutes per year of hands-on effort and about 3 cents per month of my hosting costs?

I'm an idealist too, but I'd rather not let ideals force me to find some other channel to feed my kids.

My traffic is rather pathetic but I have a decent conversion rate, so I have to concentrate on merchants that have a higher flat rate payout, or sell high ticket items. Iv'e tried pushing penny-ante products thinking ther'ed be less competition, but no real luck so far.

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    I wouldn't get checks from Dell if I didn't have Dell links up.
    No, you'd be getting checks for 10x as much instead, using that same amount of time promoting a good-converting merchant that wasn't such a tightwad.

Should I take their links down and hound them for a higher commission? Or should I keep it up and continue to collect checks each month for putting in 20 minutes per year of hands-on effort and about 3 cents per month of my hosting costs?
    You should rip links and put up a better-paying competitor's, and then convince your traffic that the competitor is better than Dell. Or, since computer merchants in general are sickeningly miserly--just pick one of the myriad of other products out there, whose merchants aren't such cheap payers!

I'm an idealist too, but I'd rather not let ideals force me to find some other channel to feed my kids.
    Your extreme either-or scenarios are not reality-based at all. There's thousands of items you can sell that don't require you to accept lousy commissions, and there's no need whatsoever to even acknowledge the existance of chiselers like Dell.

No kids will starve, nor will it cause you to need any empl*yment, for you to send the cheapskates on a long walk off a short pier.
    There is no knowledge that is not power. ~Hemingway

Why promote a merchant that's a bottom feeder? Computer systems are for sale all over the place, and you can find merchants who will pay a reasonable commission to you.

Personally, I'd rather have fewer sales but larger commissions for the sales I do get. Supporting a merchant who values its affiliate base so little is bad business. I realize it's hard to change merchants when you're getting a steady check from them, but think how much bigger that check could be each month.

If you partner with reputable merchants who are competitive with their pricing, and you present them properly on your sites, people will buy from them.

Andy

10. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread