Best Free Anti-Virus?
    I'm looking for the best free (or worth the $) software to protect my system against all viruses, spyware, etc...

I tried AGV, but wasn't that impressed. Any other suggestions???

Thanks!

I don't know nothing better than AVG for a free virus scanner but I know the best online free virus scanner:

www.trendmicro.com

I heard of Avast but I did not have time to try it, its seem it do not delete all virus when he found ones(thats what I readed on a forum).

Defender of Truth, Justice and the Affiliate Way
    I'm just looking for one that doesn't hog all my resources and slow my puter down to a crawl. With good detection of course. I'm even willing to pay.

I used AVG on my laptop, but about a year ago I had a couple weeks where I was getting several thousand LARGE infected emails a day. I was downloading megabytes upon megabytes of emails every hour.

At that time, I searched around and found a free Unix-based AV package that I was able to install on my mail server:

http://www.clamav.net/

Once I installed that, virtually all of the infected emails got eliminated at the server. A few get through and get caught by AVG, but it's pretty rare.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

IMO, there is no point skimping when it comes to protecting your PC. My recommendation is the version of ZoneAlarm with the integrated anti-virus. It's not free - but it's a neat package that should help keep your PC safe.
    Innovative advertising with Slimeware Corporation and Telephore. Mail-order fuel with Petrol Direct.

You can get the anti-virus from Computer Associates free for a year. Never used it, so don't know how good it is. Microsoft has a link to it: http://www.microsoft.com/athome/secu...s/default.mspx

-nishith

Talking
    I don't know of any free MS based AV's. However, I have personally used Panda AntiVirus and it integrates seamlessly. Catches a lot of stuff too. Check it out for yourself. http://www.pandasoftware.com/ I personally like it.

Streaatz

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    AVG is a must for even those with Norton or MacAfee. It is the only way to eliminate Adware/Spyware when bundled with the trojan horse backdoor re-install programs. All those Trojans and worms used with SAHS, 180Solutions, Gator, Coolwebseach, DirectRevenue, etc etc.. block Windows security patches, online scanning sites and existing anti-virus programs or SpyBot/Ad-aware from detecting or deleting them.

Download AVG and Microsoft Anti-Spyware,with full updating of detect rules during install process. Be sure to ctrl-alt-delete and stop all unnecessary running processes before install. Then reboot to the SAFE Windows mode and run those 2 before allowing normal boots. The cybercriminals running the BHO infestation games all bundle anti-virus blocking trojans as step #1 to protect their infestation fee revenues.... one customer at a time.
    Webmaster's... Mike and Charlie

"What have you done today to put real value into a referral click...from a shoppers viewpoint!"

I use bullguard its good and not to much $$$

I bought the new version of Panda Titanium 2005 and it SUCKED. It interfered with all my mail downloads so I had to turn it off to get my email, tech support is nonexistant and the software is full of bugs. I replaced it the Bitdefender which is much better.

(Yes, I run different AV on my desktop from my laptop!)
    Innovative advertising with Slimeware Corporation and Telephore. Mail-order fuel with Petrol Direct.

Talking
    Quote Originally Posted by Dynamoo
    I bought the new version of Panda Titanium 2005 and it SUCKED. It interfered with all my mail downloads so I had to turn it off to get my email, tech support is nonexistant and the software is full of bugs. I replaced it the Bitdefender which is much better.

(Yes, I run different AV on my desktop from my laptop!)

I must admit, you are the first person that I know of that has had ANY issues using Panda.

thanks
    thanks for the advice everyone. i have used zonealarm, agv, and a couple others. every time i get a new pc i'm shopping around for this stuff. i'm willing to spend some $ for it, if it works. i just hate dishing out $ for bad software. i guess i'll do some research now....

ZoneAlarm
    i just ordered zonealarm, not too much $. i hope i like it!

"I must admit, you are the first person that I know of that has had ANY issues using Panda."
    Thats the only software i've ever bought that was a TOTAL waste of my money.
    After it was installed, it killed my internet connection. After following instuctions from 'support' re: turning off firewalls, removing traces of old AV, etc. , still no luck.
    Then in desperation- tried REFORMATTING hard disk & installing. Still no luck.
    Tried it on my old backup Win98 computer in the basement & it crashed the thing....

Senior Affiliate Manager AMWSO James - AMWSO's Avatar
    Although I know I've got something of a vested interest in this post I do recommend Panda Software. Streaatz knows what he's talking about! I used AVG for nearly 2 years, and it is a great piece of software. However, I installed the Panda Platinum trial after being given the Panda Software account by Chris (had to check it out so i know what it can do) and its been on my computer at home ever since. I will even buy a copy once the trial expires because it's that good...
    James D. Nardell
    AMWSO.com Affiliate Management Team
    email: James.Nardell [@] AMWSO.com
    Phone: (805) 624-5669
    IM - Google/Skype: JamesNardell
    iolo technologies | Paychex | Personal VCard Website

Senior Affiliate Manager AMWSO James - AMWSO's Avatar
    I'm quite surprised about the problems you experienced Simcat. A lot of the Panda Software affiliates are absolute zealots about the software...They genuinely love it...

I had similar problems with Norton Antivirus/Internet Security package on my old laptop. After I installed it (from the free CD that came with the laptop) my computer freaked out and crashed repeatedly. Thing is I've met loads of people who are very happy with Norton. The only complaint is that it does slow down their systems...
    James D. Nardell
    AMWSO.com Affiliate Management Team
    email: James.Nardell [@] AMWSO.com
    Phone: (805) 624-5669
    IM - Google/Skype: JamesNardell
    iolo technologies | Paychex | Personal VCard Website

I'm sure Panda is doing something right- since they've been a major player in AV for some time. Just did'nt work on my 2 comps.

I use a FREE anti-virus program from http://www.free-av.com

Been using it for the last few years and never had problems with viruses. It's also easy on the system resources. I love it!
    [URL=http://www.hesk.com]Help desk software[/URL]

Outsourced Program Manager Jorge - SHOPiMAR's Avatar
    Been using www.trendmicro.com for years with many installs and many Free online virus checks.

Never any problems.

Just because PAV didn't work on a couple computers doesn't mean that it's crap. Let's think about something for a minute... WINDOWS!!!!!!!!! It has A LOT of issues, but the majority of people use it right?

Streaatz

Quote Originally Posted by ecomcity
    Download AVG and Microsoft Anti-Spyware,with full updating of detect rules during install process. Be sure to ctrl-alt-delete and stop all unnecessary running processes before install. Then reboot to the SAFE Windows mode and run those 2 before allowing normal boots. The cybercriminals running the BHO infestation games all bundle anti-virus blocking trojans as step #1 to protect their infestation fee revenues.... one customer at a time.
    Hey Mike, got a link for AVG?

Also, why run both of these in Safe mode first? To get a stamp of a clean system?

Thanks!

Avg
    Here is link to AVG free version

23. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread