Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Question for affiliates - Linkshare Merchandiser Program
    As a Linkshare merchant, we've been considering this tool.

Affiliates, what is your opinion? Would it be something you could utilize? Do you notice significant differences between your merchant partners that offer it and those that don't?

-Brian

Check out www.goldenCan.com and see thier forum here
    Continued Success,

Haiko
    The secret of success is constancy of purpose ~ Disraeli

A Real *and* Darn Cool Member! lstolze's Avatar
    I personally do not use it, as I can't see spending that much money for feed. Many of the merchants I promote on LS actually do that program, but I suspect that it isn't widely used yet, since those same merchants tend to offer an independent feed as well, that they usually give me when I tell them LS's merchandiser terms are too rich for my blood.

Of course this is just my impression, and others may offer a better argument for or against.
    ~Lisa - Brilliant Mastermind, or Nut? You decide!

A good number of the top affiliates work with feeds but you may also consider making it available directly from you as well.
    Greg Rice Affiliate Program Management
    www.gocmc.com info(AT)gocmc.com | 330-259-1223

Join us! - MiNeeds.com | DiscountCandleShop/CheeseSupply | Feng Shui Plaza

We do make it available directly but just wondered how many out there prefer to receive it through Linkshare.

I'd prefer to receive it through CJ. They send it directly to my server every night. LS requires me to write a cron job to get it from LS. But both of those are still better than the ones I get emailed to me.
    Ron Bechdolt | Affiliate Program Management Consultant
    7 Days A Week Marketing

I say you offer a free datafeed for everyone. I for one know I would make more than 1 sale every 5 to 6 months with you if one was offered.

Since you already said you offer one I feel slow. I should of read the entire thread.

Whom may I contact to get it?

We are also interested in using datafeed but find that $250 for the LS datafeed is too expensive. It should be free. There is one Affiliate Program in UK which has the datafeed in XML and CSV format for download and it is free.

Until LS decided to give the datafeed free, we have to get the datafeed direct from LS Merchants. So would appreciate if LS Merchant having datafeed available for affiliates to download, please provide download info and contact in this forum.

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by HardwareGeek
    I say you offer a free datafeed for everyone. I for one know I would make more than 1 sale every 5 to 6 months with you if one was offered.

Since you already said you offer one I feel slow. I should of read the entire thread.

Whom may I contact to get it?
    You can contact me (Brian) at 636-861-9991. ext. 223.

Quote Originally Posted by starlight
    We are also interested in using datafeed but find that $250 for the LS datafeed is too expensive. It should be free. There is one Affiliate Program in UK which has the datafeed in XML and CSV format for download and it is free.

Until LS decided to give the datafeed free, we have to get the datafeed direct from LS Merchants. So would appreciate if LS Merchant having datafeed available for affiliates to download, please provide download info and contact in this forum.

Thanks.
    Give me a call and we'll get the datafeed rolling. Brian 636-861-9991 ext. 223

ABW Ambassador LinkShare Moderator's Avatar
    Just thought I'd remind everyone since the Merchandiser set up cost has come up a couple of times, in July we announced a change to our our Merchandiser policy to allow more affiliates to take advantage of our merchant datafeeds. The $250 set up fee will be waived if:

--You have been active in the Network for at least 3 months, AND
    --You have generated at least 50 orders in the most recent calendar month

You may already be aware of this but I thought it was worth mentioning in case you weren't aware.

Kelli

Is the $250 to setup a datafeed a one time fee to get feeds from all LS merchants (who offer it)? Or is it a one time fee for each LS Merchant you want a feed from?

ABW Ambassador LinkShare Moderator's Avatar
    Good question. It's a one time fee that gives you access to all approved LS merchant feeds. Some merchants auto-approve access to their feed and others manually authorize it. However, it's one fee for all merchants (not $250/merchant) which we're now waiving for many affiliates who meet the requirement threshold.

Kelli

And for smaller affiliates, 50 sales in the previous month this time of year is an impossible feat. I have less than 20 sales on LS for last month, even though the sales are several items a piece. LS feeds are still too rich for my blood....

I understand that $250 for LS and $200 for CJ are substantial setup fees but I paid for both of them by the end of the second month as I was getting the first five datafeeds up and going - I look at them as simple costs for getting started - like my computer and my desk - the tax man and I share in all these costs. Also, since they're a one-time charge - I have been able to add many more datafeeds for only the ongoing Internet costs (domain name and hosting)

Quote Originally Posted by LinkShare Moderator
    Just thought I'd remind everyone since the Merchandiser set up cost has come up a couple of times, in July we announced a change to our our Merchandiser policy to allow more affiliates to take advantage of our merchant datafeeds. The $250 set up fee will be waived if:

--You have been active in the Network for at least 3 months, AND
    --You have generated at least 50 orders in the most recent calendar month

You may already be aware of this but I thought it was worth mentioning in case you weren't aware.

Kelli
    We are aware of that. I guess we are in the same boat as lstolze.
    In my opinion, if you really want more affiliates to take advantage of the merchant datafeed, then waive the $250 without any conditions . i.e. FREE. Even if, we have to add or put in our affilate id ourself, it should not be a problem. Better than nothing!

It is a WIN-WIN situation for all parties. By doing so, sales will definitely increase.

Or you can try it out and offer the FREE datafeed to affiliates who sign-up for the feed within a certain period. Monitor the sales and who knows the increased sales may greatly exceed the $250 .......

Quote Originally Posted by lstolze
    And for smaller affiliates, 50 sales in the previous month this time of year is an impossible feat. I have less than 20 sales on LS for last month, even though the sales are several items a piece. LS feeds are still too rich for my blood....
    lstolze, I hope you take this as constructive advice (which is what it's intended to be) rather than a slam, but with thinking like that you'll always be a smaller affiliate.

If you have the technical abilities to work with feeds, and you have an idea for a site, and you think you can build the traffic, invest the money into the feeds. You won't regret it.

Alternatively, you might want to look for some items you can promote PPC to get to 50 sales. Since it's based on quantity of sales, look for a few cheap items that you can promote for $0.05 CPC. If you can get a 5% conversion ratio, it would just take $50 in $0.05 clicks to generate 50 sales.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

Michael, I understand what you're saying, and don't take offense, but here's my thing. Let's say I use only 3 LS merchants for product listings. Then of those 3, I only strongly promote one, but due to my niche, the products are small ticket. One of my three 'favored' merchants doesn't even offer a feed, and another only offers 5% and a 3 hour cookie (but they have a few things that fit well in my site). My best one offers a feed, which would be nice to use, but I would only pull say 300 - 400 products from it, due to my particular branding on my sites.

Now my options are 1) pay $250 for feeds of which I need a very small part of, or 2) try to make 50 sales on LS in one month during the worst season for my niche. Of course if I do manage to do the latter, then I have to sweat every month because if I drop down (according to an old LS post on this), they can take my feed away again. If I do the first, I feel like an idiot, because I just blew more in one month than I make from all my networks together, for a small portion of products.

Not all of us can live off our affiliate marketing. So for us, these datafeeds really aren't economical. If I were making $500 a month from all sources, then I might consider paying for feed, but in my case, that's a long way away. I'll be back to a 9 - 5 before that could happen, I'm afraid.

~Lisa~

The slot machine that IS paid! Billy Kay's Avatar
    I have 3 (different) answers to the same question:

1. I used a LS datafeed with WebMerge to make what I consider a sub-standard website. BUT... it gets more hits and sales then some of my real websites!

2. The default LS FTP process is a hassle - the feeds I need, the AM's email them to me.

3. If I need to add a couple products, I find it easier to use the datafeed then log in to linkshare, find the merchant, and hunt for the products using their search utility

Another option... Try some free feeds from merchants that offer them. That should give you a good indication of what you can do, plus it should push you over the threshold for free feeds from CJ or LinkShare if they're network merchants. Then you can determine whether or not you can justify the expense. Also, Billy makes a good point that some AMs will provide feeds outside of the networks if you ask.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

Yep......I'd be more than happy to supply a free feed for you.

True, true! Maybe if I can make more money with 'free' feeds, I can justify the expense of getting other inaccessible feeds. Thanks for the advice!

ABW Ambassador
    I'm in the same position, with low ticket items and it takes a lot to make some $ off 5% commission. I would NOT pay for a datafeed for merchants who are paying that.

>>If I were making $500 a month from all sources, then I might consider paying for feed

I wouldn't, not a chance. That would be paying half of the monthly income just to be able to use a feed to promote merchants paying 5%, many of which have cooties to begin with like most of my LS merchants do. That would leave $250 a month income for all the time put in, which is a whole lot less per hour than people make for cleaning toilets.

I don't understand the concept behind paying for datafeed access..

Don't you make money on the amount of sales we send to your merchants?
    Then why would you charge an affiliate anything for a tool that will not only make you more money but your affiliates as well..?? It takes a few minutes to set someone up with datafeed access and then it's on auto pilot.. So why the $250 in the first place..?? You should be handing the datafeeds out to anyone that is capable of using them.. it would only mean more profits for you.. instead you hold out for the $250 and actually make less money on the one time fee verses every affiliate using the feeds.. just my two cents..

Yes. AddHandler, well said.

I agree that the datafeed should be available free to all affiliates.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast