The affiliate formerly known as ojmoo
    Cool What's a successful day?
    For me a successful day is a day in which I earn $50. I look at it this way, if I earn $50 everyday (including weekends) then I will earn $1500 for that month. For my site its an easy target to meet (no need to shoot for sales targets that aren't going to happen often) and I meet it over 90% of the time. But my revenue is seasonal so from November 1 to February 1st I expect to make 4 to 6 times as much.

Do you guys think of it like this. Are you on a weekly, monthly or yearly basis. Are you just looking for that one big sale to make you happy. So how do you measure success in affiliate?

Mike

A successful day is a day I can actually log on to CJ or LS and see my stats.

But really, it is what I see at the end of the year. Too many people expect a daily amount and often react (complain, change their sites, pay for clicks, etc) on the spur of the moment. I've found with over 75 active, earning sites that each of them will have a down period and I usually just wait a few months and nearly all come back. I don't worry about the existing sites much and try to spend my time building more and better sites.
    Ron Bechdolt | Affiliate Program Management Consultant
    7 Days A Week Marketing

Like you, I break my goals all the way down into days. I'm a bit of a stat freak, like many here, I'm sure, but I've been that way since I was a kid - eating up the daily sports page, etc. Breaking it down into days gives me a little game to play throughout the day ... am I going to reach the goal today? ... when I fall short one day, will I be able to make it up another day? etc.

Reading the archives here, you find a lot of people around the beginning of a new year resolving to check their stats less and work more. I can understand that, but I think daily stats (hourly ... half-hourly even!) can provide either motivation or a sense of accomplishment. Certainly there have been times when I overloaded on my stats ... especially when I had all day to work on things but didn't really have much planned out. And I've found that I look at certain stats less now ... but I also look at stats in a more intelligent way. Sometimes, of couse, it's in hopes of gaining purely a sense of satisfaction, but looking at your stats carefully can help you plan how you might adjust things or how you might (or might not) replicate something. That said, advice from a veteren like "7-days" should surely be taken into consideration. You can mess things up by changing on a whim (which you thought was a thought-out plan).

At the beginning of the year (essentially when I began this endeavor of making money on the internet), I set out a monthly goal to hit (and then, of course, broke that down into days). This month (8 months in ... actually 9 months, as I techically starte in Dec of last year), it looks like I will probably reach 3 times my monthly goal that I set at the beginning of the year. BUT ... a big "but" ... this month I also just lost my main source of traffic for my main site. But what my montly/daily goals have done for me is pushed me to expect more. Now that it looks like I'll reach 3 times my monthly goal this month, I don't want to go below that. I know that I might next month, and the month after that, but by the end of the year my goal is to be making montly 3 times the original goal I had set out to make at the beginning of the year. Looking at daily stats and monthly stats has motivated me to up my goals and helped me to learn new tricks and ways of doing things on the internet. I know a lot more about making montey on the internet than I did just 8 months ago, but it didn't REALLY kick in till about 2 or 3 months ago. As many posts will say in the archives, you have to just stick to it, stick to it, stick to it ... read, read, read ... test, test, test.

I set monthly goals and work towards them, but I've found that my daily numbers are pretty consistent as well.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

More Cheesier Than Ever Cheesehead's Avatar
    A successful day for me would be $500.

Well, $50 would be good too!

Success for me means weaning myself off of dependence on the search engines. Google sort of helped me along greatly with this last December as they now give me very little traffic, regardless of how much c*ntent I provide. It is going well regardless - on one site I am getting 2x the traffic from a single inbound link site as from google.

So I guess maybe I should thank google for getting me to change my focus -
    Don't make pages & sites for search engines, make them for people. Or eventually you will be cut off at the knees.
    This World is Not My Home
    We're gonna go inside, we're gonna go outside, inside and outside. . . And then we're gonna go go go and we're not gonna stop til we get across that goalline! Quotes from the movie Rudy, 1993

A successful day is when you made more money than yesterday

The affiliate formerly known as ojmoo
    Jane,

But that is unsustainable, you will be disappointed 1/2 the time

Quote Originally Posted by ojmoo
    Jane,

But that is unsustainable, you will be disappointed 1/2 the time
    Not necessarily.

$3
    $1
    $2
    $3
    $1
    $2
    $3

Only disappointed 1/3 of the time.

I may make my judgements based on stats over a period of time, but I am still a daily stats adict. Why? I love the thrill of logging on to todays stats at the networks and once in a while finding that really big sale and commission. It's like playing the slot machines. You keep putting in your quarters, losing most of the time, because you know once in a while that big one will come your way. And it is those big sales that give me the incentive to start building new sites, etc.
    Ron Bechdolt | Affiliate Program Management Consultant
    7 Days A Week Marketing

10. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread