Who are all these new merchants in my LinkShare account?
    Logging into Your Account folder at my LinkShare account I see several merchants there I never signed up for. How the heck did that happen? I've been trying to reduce my LS merchants and now I have even more than ever. Anyone else seeing these merchants magically appear in their LS account:

AcornMedia.com
    BlueDolphin.com
    FastFloors.com
    FonCentral.com
    Fujitsu.com (expired June 30, 2004 but still on list)
    Mercantila.com
    LimogesJewelry (expired May 31, 2004 but still on list)
    Net2Phone.com
    RelaxTheBack.com (expired May 6, 2005 but still on list)
    WebPhone.com

I checked Program History link for all of these and it has no data.
    Last edited by Ron Bechdolt; August 23rd, 2005 at 12:05 AM. Reason: Found even more....what a mess!!!
    Ron Bechdolt | Affiliate Program Management Consultant
    7 Days A Week Marketing

That's weird. Are they still there?

None of those appear for me.

On a side note-
    LOL I see I am almost at the 1 year anniversary of my application for Domestications, it's still pending @@ (Not that I am interested anymore, found some very good alternatives.)

I have one or two there I thought I was happily rid of a long time ago, but still can't delete.

I've had two people PM me to say they have just about the same ones. Hope a LS Moderator can show up and explain what all those are doing there.
    7 Days A Week Marketing

Now will that be can-spam compliant?

ABW Ambassador LinkShare Moderator's Avatar
    Ron,
    I've filed a technical request to have your account looked into. In the future, for specific account issues that may require us to gather additional account specific information from you, please send an email to or call LinkShare affiliate support. You can also use the abw (at) linkshare (dot) com address.
    Thanks,
    Kelli

A technical request?? I think this has been going on for some time now. I've seen the same thing happen with merchants that want to work with me but I don't opt in to their program. It appears Linkshare allows them to automatically add themselves into your account where they lurk until you go into the account information page and opt into their program term.

Doesn't seem quite right to allow something like this.
    "Merchant with no cookie get no clicky"

Kelli,

I was about to do that but was first trying to see if this was just me or lots of affiliates.

Thanks.
    7 Days A Week Marketing

The slot machine that IS paid! Billy Kay's Avatar
    Ron,

Just about all the merchants on your list were let in by a "private offer" - and the only way to get rid of them is to deny the offer (especially after you read the offer and see it's a piece of cra^)

My feeling is if they're gonna' be "sneaky" at the invitation stage... (let's sneak into the affiliate's private domain, and maybe they'll accidently make links for us) - they will only get worse if you join them!!

Newbie at tooting my own horn M_Diddy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 7-days
    Logging into Your Account folder at my LinkShare account I see several merchants there I never signed up for. How the heck did that happen? I've been trying to reduce my LS merchants and now I have even more than ever. Anyone else seeing these merchants magically appear in their LS account:

AcornMedia.com
    BlueDolphin.com
    FastFloors.com
    FonCentral.com
    Fujitsu.com (expired June 30, 2004 but still on list)
    Mercantila.com
    LimogesJewelry (expired May 31, 2004 but still on list)
    Net2Phone.com
    RelaxTheBack.com (expired May 6, 2005 but still on list)
    WebPhone.com

I checked Program History link for all of these and it has no data.

Its Called WORK......HAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Billy,

I suspect as much, but LS has been quick to respond to my question of this and is looking into it for me [praise noted]. Whatever the reason, it really is not "playing nice" to do this without the affiliates knowledge or concent.

As no really seems to know what this is all about, here and at LS, I suspect it is a glitch that simply needs to be fixed (giving LS the benfit of the doubt until I hear otherwise).
    7 Days A Week Marketing

ABW Ambassador LinkShare Moderator's Avatar
    Its taken me a few days to get back to you on this one because I wanted to fully research Rons situation before responding. When Ron first posted on the issue, I thought it might be a glitch because it sounded as if a group of merchants suddenly appeared in his account and that other affiliates might be seeing the same group of merchants suddenly appear. I initially misunderstood the situation.

After further research, I can confirm this is not a glitch. Merchants can extend offers to affiliates who are not currently in their program. This is offered as a benefit to both merchants and affiliates. In the same way affiliates can search for specific merchants and apply to their program, merchants can extend an offer to the affiliate. Its not done to be sneaky in any way but rather provides another opportunity for partnerships to develop. Also, when the offer is extended, it typically triggers an email to the affiliate letting them know what has taken place.

Once the offer is extended, the merchant and offer will appear in the affiliates account. The affiliate still has to take a very clear step, in facts multiple steps, before acting upon that offer. To activate the partnership, the affiliate has to go into their Create Links section, click on the specific merchant, go to their Create Links page, access the desired link, copy the code and paste it on their site. The point being that the affiliate has to take a number of steps before any activity can be associated with this potential partnership.

Also, if an affiliate does not want to continue to see a particular merchant in their account, they can select Delete this merchant from my account at the bottom of their Program Controls page.

Because of all the steps an affiliate needs to take before activating a partnership, we feel comfortable allowing merchants to extend offers in this way.

Kelli

There are several side effects to that, if I'm not mistaken:

1) The affiliate will then receive the merchant's newsletters and other mailings, which they might (rightly) consider spam.

2) The merchant will then have access to the affiliate's address and other contact information, which the affiliate has not consented to sharing with that merchant.

3) If the affiliate runs a network-wide banners in rotation, that merchant's banners may then show up in the rotation. If, for instance, this is an adult-oriented merchant(like Playboy), the affiliate could end up with unacceptable banners running on their site.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

Michale makes some very good points which I agree with.

Frankly, I don't like LS allowing those merchants to be listed in "My Account". It is MY ACCOUNT, not theres. Regardless of the number of steps it takes, it makes my account confusing. There are actually more bogus merchants in my account that my real ones. Not that you want to copy CJ, I know LS sure does like to be different, but CJ has a daily (sometimes hourly) updated list of new merchants on the screen after I log in. I quite often look at them and see what they have to offer. I hardly every log into My Account and would not know those are there. And any email I would have gotten from them I would have considered spam and probably delete without even looking at it.

I understand fully what LS is doing here and I personally don't like it. My account merchants should be my account merchants. If LS want to let merchants in to try and get me to use them, then perhaps make a left column of my merchants and a right column of Merchants You Might Want To Consider.

The current way is rude, distracting and confusing (no one seemed to know what was going on, did they).

But......

....thanks for the quick information. Don't mean to shoot the messenger.
    7 Days A Week Marketing

15. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread