Include function in PERL?
    Hey, is there an equivalant function to PHP or SHTML's include in PERL? I would hate to have to code HTML using PRINT!

TIA!

Look into modules and packages. That'll do what you want. Once you build a module, you can "use" it in other programs. Here's a fairly simple tutorial.

You can find tons of packages that others have written with CPAN. See Installing CPAN Modules.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

Hi Michael,

Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately, this is way beyond me.

Back to adding print " & "; to every line...

I like traffic lights
    Southern hemisphere - away from Fukushima
    Errrr. "Print" by default sends output to standard output - in the case of a CGI script, the HTML being sent by the server to the browser. So "print" is what is usually used in PERL to output HTML.

Or are you talking about how PHP is used in an embedded within the HTML context?

No, I am running an old PERL search script and need to dump the search results into the site's look and feel (template). Looks like I need to output HTML in the actual PERL script. Got it to work but that means everytime I update the template, I have to update the PERL code manualy.

So you're needing to read a file and output it?

Code:
    open FN, "/path/to/file"
    while ($line = <FN>) {
       print $line;
    }
    close FN;
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

Quote Originally Posted by Affiliate Ian
    Hey, is there an equivalant function to PHP or SHTML's include in PERL? I would hate to have to code HTML using PRINT!

TIA!
    To include code you can use "require".

If you want to avoid prints, use here documents:

print <<FOO;
    This
    text
    gets printed
    FOO

Sean

I like traffic lights
    Southern hemisphere - away from Fukushima
    Quote Originally Posted by MichaelColey
    So you're needing to read a file and output it?

Code:
    open FN, "/path/to/file"
    while ($line = <FN>) {
       print $line;
    }
    close FN;
    or....

open FN , "blah";
    print while (<FN>);

:^)

$_ is your friend.

ok, i thikn i opened up a can of worms. here is what i want to do, let's see if this is possible.

I am using Matt's search script. In the portion where I display the results, intead of just displyaing the results in a simple HTML page, I want to take the results section and have it show up in the middle of my website template. So I don't mind coding in the template by hand using Print " but I want to be able to include my left hand menu, top navigation from a .html file so that when I update the site, the Perl search gets updated when the results are pulled when someone accesses the search.

Hope that made sense....

What does your template look like, and where is it stored? For instance, does it look like:

<html>
    ...html code...
    {Content}
    ...html code...
    </html>

Where "{Content}" gets replaced with the actual page content?

If so, basically you just need to read through the template file to get the part before and after "{Content}", then print the "before" part at the beginning of the script and the "after" part at the end of the script.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelColey
    What does your template look like, and where is it stored? For instance, does it look like:

<html>
    ...html code...
    {Content}
    ...html code...
    </html>

Where "{Content}" gets replaced with the actual page content?

If so, basically you just need to read through the template file to get the part before and after "{Content}", then print the "before" part at the beginning of the script and the "after" part at the end of the script.
    Yes, that is the idea. And I have done that for evey single line above and below {content}. But, within my ...html code..., I use SSI to include left menu, righ menu etc... I am not sure how inside the perl script, I can use an include function within my HTML. Any ideas?

Email me your existing script and tell me the full path and name to each file that you're wanting to include. You can find my email address on the "Contact" page of my site. (The link to the contact page is in my bottom nav bar on my site below.)
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com

13. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread