An Idea: 16 ads on a FREE mousepad
    I had an idea that I think might work well.

Find 16 different merchants/sites that wanted to participate. Get each of them to provide a graphic logo or ad (about 1.75" x 2") and pitch in $500. With that $8000, buy 10,000 mousepads with the 16 ads. Ship 625 mousepads to each of the advertisers to give out for free.

For $500, the advertisers would get:

* Repeated exposure to 10,000 computer users (at a net cost of $0.05 per user).
    * 625 mousepads to give out (at a cost of just $0.80 each), perhaps in exchange for newsletter signups or something.

Alternatively, if none of the advertisers want to distribute the mousepads, they could try to find a merchant willing to give them out free with any order (perhaps in exchange for one of the 16 squares).

Does anyone else think this could work well? I think it could be some really effective advertising.

Obviously, one important part would be to include only one ad from each industry, so there are no direct competitors.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

It's been done, in many ways, many times. The key, of course, is to persuade 16 merchants to do it. As a merchant, I'd worry that all the other merchants will not effectively distribute the mouse pads; and why wouldn't I just create my own mouse pad anyway? I have received dozens of mouse pads in the past decade, and ignored the opportunity to collect hundreds more (at trade shows, etc.).

What is your measure for "effective" advertising? How would the merchant track this? This is really just like golf-course or yellow-pages advertising: paying for the chance that maybe the consumer will act. It probably works in some niches; I would personally never pay for it, and everyone here is all about tracking, tracking, tracking.

But in the end, the real question is, can you find 16 advertisers to do it? Or could you ever find a salesperson willing to pound the pavement (or make cold-calls) to earn the $1,000 fee you'd pay her?

Mousepad disctribution control would be the first thing that would worry me as a merchant. The second thing would be - to whom (and why do I have to believe that they will use "my" mousepad, and not just throw it into the box with their computer gadgets and forget about it with time)?

Geno

Branding and rebranding of a merchant logo/name is allways effective advertising and for only $500 per merchant it's almost a steal, but the kicker is the promotional item - it's been done, played out and dead. The idea however is good and solid, find a better / more novel item and it should work.
    Continued Success,

Haiko
    The secret of success is constancy of purpose ~ Disraeli

Quote Originally Posted by Haiko de Poel, Jr.
    ...find a better / more novel item and it should work.
    And it has to be the one that is wanted and that is going to be used by those having it. That's the key for me...

Geno

Does anyone use mousepads anymore? Most people I know don't since they have gone to optical mice.

Domain Addict / Formerly known as elbowcreek Thomas A. Rice's Avatar
    I like the idea of splitting the cost of a promotional/novelty item with others. If we could find non competing niches, I would definately be interested in that.
    Following everyone else is a GREAT way to become average.

8. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread