Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Defender of Truth, Justice and the Affiliate Way
    If I Ever Meet A Spammer.....
    face to face, I will not be responsible for my actions. My defense will be justifable h*micide.

I understand your frustration and anger.

And I pity the poor fool spammer unfortunate enough to find themselves looking at you face to face...

You go, Girl!

The slot machine that IS paid! Billy Kay's Avatar
    If you'd answer your friggin' phone... I wouldn't have to spam you!!

So if we actually purchased a pee pee enlarger - would the spam stop - since we wouldn't need another one ?

Quote Originally Posted by Kellie aka Ms. B
    face to face, I will not be responsible for my actions. My defense will be justifable h*micide.
    I know what you mean, I hate spammers too.

But, you just blew your justifable defense with that post.

Now it wil be a premeditated h*micide.

ABW Ambassador
    >So if we actually purchased a pee pee enlarger - would the spam stop

I purchased 3 and it didn't stop....

I purchased 3 and it didn't stop....

Thanks Adam you saved me buying one
    One day parasites and their ilk will be made illegal, I bet a few Lawyers will be pissed off when the day comes.
    Mr. Spitzer is fetching it nearer

YouTrek

How about if you met one of those Paypal or eBay crooks who are constantly trying to steal your login information and money?

- Scott
    Hatred stirs up strife, But love covers all transgressions.

Heck I would probably NEED 2 or 3 to see any results...

=)

No one I had rather make fun of than myself... LOL..

Mr. Sal, it would still be justibable since it seems I was bombed today and it caused my inbox to corrupt. I'm now having to go through a 650MB mailbox file (had to buy software to even be able to open it) and try to retrieve the 450 or so good emails that was in mailbox. 450 emails does not make a 650MB file. However many it does take to make a file that big is how many came in at one time this afternoon. I'm up to Line 24000 of text code in the file. That's about 1MB worth.

And yep Billy I *did* get your pee pee enlarger emails.

Can you not send the file to that Spritzer guy Kellie?
    One day parasites and their ilk will be made illegal, I bet a few Lawyers will be pissed off when the day comes.
    Mr. Spitzer is fetching it nearer

YouTrek

I had to abandon my vanity mail box all together.
    Comments are opinion unless otherwise noted. Remember, pillage first. Then burn. Half of all people in the world have IQs under 100. You best learn to trust ol' SSanf!

My favourites are the "my father, the richest man / president / king / etc.... of "enter name of country here" has died and I need YOUR help (yes, mine... out of all of the people in all of the world, me) to get the $500 Billion out of the country.

The worst part is.... people fall for this one.

Have to say it though, as an eBay user, they're getting pretty clever. So much so that eBay sometimes gets confused as to which is theres and which isn't.

I had one that came in as a "Question on your item." and I got a little suspicious, so I sent it to spoof@ebay.com, just to be sure.

They came back that this was NOT sent by eBay and was a spoof e-mail. Sure enough, a day later, the person e-mailed me again asking why I hadn't responded, and - on future investigation - discovered that the original was - in fact - a valid e-mail.

That's what bugs me the most about SPAM, is that - because of it - real e-mails get filtered, deleted, ignored, etc.

SPAM sucks. SPAM sucks big fat piles of monkey butt.

I had to abandon my vanity mail box all together.
    Yeah I would have done that too a loooonnnnggggg time ago. But this is my primary business email addy, so it's not an option unfortunately. I was being able to handle the load when they were coming in at a little over 100/minute.

Quote Originally Posted by Kellie aka Ms. B
    Yeah I would have done that too a loooonnnnggggg time ago. But this is my primary business email addy, so it's not an option unfortunately. I was being able to handle the load when they were coming in at a little over 100/minute.
    I hate them, too. Use spamcop and it helps, but these folks are always changing IP addresses. Nearly all of them are non- arin IP addresses.

I use Spam Assassin, and it helps me a lot! Everything goes into a mail dump file, which I can delete with one click. So far, I've not been notified of any legitimate messages being dumped. I was getting thousands a day, now I only get about 10% of that.

The amount of time it takes to process this is ridiculous! Day in, day out, spam, spam, spam! I hope the spammers drown in their own waste some day!

Internet Cowboy
    I use Gmail exclusively now and it works great. Their spam filter seems to be right on target as to what is good and what is not. If anyone wants a Gmail account, PM me. I am not sure if it is public yet but I have a lot of invites.

I had to close a few email accounts out because of spammers. Now I use a 3 pronged approach to avoiding spam.
    1. Created a new personal account and only give out to friends, associates and what I consider safe places.
    2. Created a "junk" account for when you need to give an email address for something and suspect your account will be pimped all over the world. If this account gets trashed, I just delete it and make another junk account.
    3. Gmail account for when you have to have a long term account but aren't sure if your address will be sold. They do a pretty good job of identifying spam. You can have them notify you of incoming emails or even check your mail with Outlook. Like UncleScooter, I have invites available so PM me if you need one and UncleScooter runs out
    Always protect that personal account (1. above) so you don't have to close it and notify all your friends, etc. that you have a new addy.
    Greg Rice Affiliate Program Management
    www.gocmc.com info(AT)gocmc.com | 330-259-1223

Join us! - MiNeeds.com | DiscountCandleShop/CheeseSupply | Feng Shui Plaza

Outsourced Program Manager Jorge - SHOPiMAR's Avatar
    UncleScooter

> If anyone wants a Gmail account

Get me one of those buddy, these spams are getting ridiculus.

PM sent

Outsourced Program Manager Jorge - SHOPiMAR's Avatar
    Greg,

> pimped all over the world

Exactly!

I've had the same personal email account for years now. I've probably less than 20 spam to that account in all that time.

I've used both SpamCop and SpamAssasin. With my normal daily spam load at 30k+/day now, SpamCop just isn't realistic. I've used different things like MaiWasher (which has spamcop built in), but they always wind up either crashing the software or slowing my computer down to a crawl where I can't do anything on the puter while they are running. I guess they just aren't meant to handle that kind of volume espcially since they tend to write to flat file db for their logs. Gets resource intensive within a day or so because the file sizes become so large. I actually have SpamAssasian on the domain that's causing me all the trouble. It's never worked right for me and had conflicts with cpanel. I've lost all incoming emails at the server because of it on 3 separate occassions. Since this is the my primary biz account for ecommerce site, I'm now chicken to even try it again.

The built in spam filter for Eudora seems to be working pretty good for me so far, so at least I don't have to see them mixed in with legit emails. It's just that when I got bombed yersterday it corrupted the inbox. That tends to happen with Eurdora when the mailbox file gets over half a GB. It is just a text file being written to with each email receive. This is the second time I've had this happen now. Since the last time, I've been keeping a close eye out, but I just too many come over at once it would seem.

Off to work some more on restoring what I can't access at the moment. I know there are a few emails in that file for stuff that I should have taken care of yesterday.

The moral of the story.....what can happen I suppose when you speak out publicly against spammers.

Kellie,

Have you tried server-side DNS-based blacklists?

http://dmoz.org/Computers/Internet/A...am/Blacklists/

I've used some very successfully, and they effectively cut the spam off at the server. You have to pick and choose carefully, because some do have false positives, but many are really good.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

Does your cPanel have Boxtrapper? It may be useful to you as it requires the sender to reply back before the email hits your inbox.
    Greg Rice Affiliate Program Management
    www.gocmc.com info(AT)gocmc.com | 330-259-1223

Join us! - MiNeeds.com | DiscountCandleShop/CheeseSupply | Feng Shui Plaza

Thanks MC, I'll check those out in a bit.

Greg, no it doesn't have boxtrapper. I've considered something like SpamArrest but I'm not too sure how customers for an online store would view something like that.

I almost suggested a challenge-response, but with 30k emails a day (most of which are spam), she would then be sending out 30k challenge-response messages. Since the from addresses on spam are usually forged, that means she would be contributing nearly 30k useless messages every day. I'm sure she wouldn't want to do that.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

Good point MC.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast