How do I make pages unreachable...
    exept from a link on my site? Without using password protection to reach certain pages, can you make pages that are unreachable exept through internal links? So if someone say emails that page to a friend it is redirected as having to be reached via a certain page or something...is this possible?

Lightbulb
    while you might be able to block google from passing the page on, there are some other search engines now that don't follow the robots.txt file.

cheap way out would be to give a file a messy file name and keep changing it on a regular basis. people who are authorized to download the page must be told the filename and the time period for which it is valid. unfortunately, a client that is entitled to see/download the page can forward the page or just the url during that period.

Sure, you could do that pretty easily. Just check the referrer, and if it's not from your site, redirect to the home page or wherever you want. You could do that through .htaccess or just about any server-side language.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelColey
    Sure, you could do that pretty easily. Just check the referrer, and if it's not from your site, redirect to the home page or wherever you want. You could do that through .htaccess or just about any server-side language.
    hey that coudl be handy. u got php codes for checking referrer?

This simple code I made should help you:
    <?php

$referer = $HTTP_REFERER; // invent a variable and assign it a Global variable that your server have by default

echo $referer; // would echo the webpage adress that driven the visitor on this php page

?>

You can test it here

If you need more help to implement it further, just ask

ok, i knew the referer part but for teh example described, wouldn't teh script need to run some sort of a check to see if the referrer was from a particualr domain. if so, then redrect to protected page. if not, redirect to homepage? I am wondering how to detect if a referrer was from a particular domain.

Quote Originally Posted by sendmemybill
    This simple code I made should help you:

You can test it here

If you need more help to implement it further, just ask

Then it would be something like this:

<?php

$referer = $HTTP_REFERER; // invent a variable and assign it a Global variable that your server have by default

$rest = substr($referer, 7); // strips http://
    $parts = explode("/",$rest); // split into array at each "/"
    $domain = $parts[0]; // www.anydomain.com is the first array element

if ($domain=="forum.abestweb.com") {

header("Location: http://www.google.com"); // would redirect to google if the referer domain is good
    }

else {
    header("Location: http://www.yahoo.com"); // would redirect to yahoo if the referer domain is not what you want
    }

?>
    test it here

and try it from an other referer host, like mine.. here

The only thing I can't find is the "protected page" thing. I don't know how to protect a page or directory from being viewed, without robot.txt or .htaccess. .htaccess would prompt for a login/pass and without protection I can just type manully the web adress and view your page.

Sorry for that. Maybe someone else can help?

I use Perl rather than PHP, so I'm not familiar with the commands and functions you have available, but if you could make the checks case sensitive and just do a string match for the main part of the domain name (without www.), it would be better. Otherwise, someone coming from "www.YourDomain.com" or "yourdomain.com" would get redirected as if they weren't coming from your site.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

9. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread