Question Help Me Please
    Hi I have done a couple of web merge datafeeds for several merchants with no problems. I am now trying to create a datafeed from a merchant that has 8 subcategories. Has anyone done this with upto 8 subcategories? Can anyone post some sample templates and screenshots of a multiple subcategory datafeed?

Quote Originally Posted by netnow22
    Hi I have done a couple of web merge datafeeds for several merchants with no problems. I am now trying to create a datafeed from a merchant that has 8 subcategories. Has anyone done this with upto 8 subcategories? Can anyone post some sample templates and screenshots of a multiple subcategory datafeed?
    First, you need to decide how many of those subcategories are really needed. Is there a nessted relationship between the fields, i.e., Category, Sub-Catetory, Sub-Sub-Category, Sub-Sub-Sub-Category, etc? Or, do you have eight equivalent Sub-Categories, i.e., with eight "keywords." Or, do you have some sort of combination of the above?

Second, how many products/records are in the feed? Splitting out 30,000 products into a five-tiered website might make sense, but doing it for 300 products would not be worth the trouble.

Personally I think a four-tiered website using Category and SubCategory fields is about right. Otherwise your visitors will have to manuveur seven or eight clicks from your homepage to the detailed product page.

I would suggest picking out two fields to use as a Category and Subcategory, and creating a four-tiered website. The Templates in "Franks's WebMerge Tutorial" will show you how to do that. Then, create a search function for your website where the keywords from all the other subcategories are included.

Once you've mastered the three and four-tiered website, then you might consider adding another tier one at a time using the same pattern of relationships between templates, setting files and subcategories. There's no reason why WM can't create an eight-tiered website, as long as you can wrap your brain around the process.

Good Luck,

FRANK
    Baertracks

Thanks Frank

I have 8 nested fields for sub categories, 4 of which only have very little products, so should i delete those four? Then i will be left with four. Would this be a 4 tier or a 6 tier?

Quote Originally Posted by netnow22
    I have 8 nested fields for sub categories, 4 of which only have very little products, so should i delete those four? Then i will be left with four. Would this be a 4 tier or a 6 tier?
    Sorry for the slow response. The way that I do it four categories would give you a six tier website.

Make sure that you don't the data in A, B, C & D fields do not duplicate each other. Othersise you will have problems with files overwriting each other.

Regards,

FRANK
    Baertracks

5. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread