Yup, Sure ... now let me check ... Cagles Mill's Avatar
    Question Are mouseover menus bad for SEO?
    My stepdaughter is starting to try her hand at affiliate marketing and I have been trying to help her out.

She is working on a sporting goods site and one of the things she wants to do is to have a list of broad product categories on the left side of her page and when a person places their mouse over one of the categories a sub-menu would appear to the right with links to other pages on her site for specific merchants in that category and/or links directly to the merchant.

My concern is that the search engines will not follow the mouseover links which of course means the search engines wouldn't find her other pages. Am I telling her correctly? If the mouseover links pointed directly to the merchants' sites then it might actually be a good thing if the search engines did not see the links.

So... what advice would you give her? BTW, I've been telling her to join up on ABW and she may actually end up seeing this thread (I hope).
    Rick M.
    I would rather have a bottle in front of me, than have a frontal lobotomy!
    Does your bubblegum lose its flavor on the bedpost overnight?

ABW Ambassador
    It depends how she creates her menus.

Do a search for "son of suckerfish".

Its not too easy for someone who is beginning, but it does work and is spider-a-bubble.

One of my sites does what you're asking about for navigation. The spiders are finding every link with no problems.

Yeah the spiders have no problem with DHTML stuff.

Yup, Sure ... now let me check ... Cagles Mill's Avatar
    Thanks folks for your replies. It has long been my understanding that the search engines would not pick up links in pull-down menus, but perhaps that's wrong. Either way, it sounds like the search engines should not have any trouble building the type of menus she wants.

I'll tell her to go for it. At worse, if the pages linked to don't show up in a month, she'll know something's wrong.
    Rick M.
    I would rather have a bottle in front of me, than have a frontal lobotomy!
    Does your bubblegum lose its flavor on the bedpost overnight?

Lite On The Do, Heavy On The Nuts Donuts's Avatar
    Whether you do or don't use DHTML for your navigation, always use a site map ALSO. And link to the site map from your home page. This will relieve your concerns about the nav methods AND for dozens of other SEO reasons, it'll get you indexed and ranked better.

See Google's webmaster guidelines here:
    http://www.google.com/intl/en/webmas...uidelines.html

And about why to have the site map, see the first two things Google says you should do...

Most spiders will not follow JavaScript links. They need HTML hyperlinks. I have seen dozens of completely unspiderable sites where people designed the sites with DHTML menus and JavaScript menus. Some were two years old and spiders never got past the home page.

If in doubt, use the site map and place a link to the site map on the footer of every page. An alternative for a small site is to duplicate the menu items as hyprerlinks in the footer on all the pages.
    There's good, fast and cheap. Pick any two.
    [url=http://www.topranksolutions.com]Phoenix SEO[/url] :: [url=http://www.tech-evangelist.com/category/affiliate-marketing/]Affiliate Marketing Tutorials[/url]

8. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread