GoldenCAN idea list
    Hi there. I've been toying with the goldenCAN service for a day or so now and have come up with a short list of features I think would be beneficial. An underlying premise of some of these features is that they would only be offered for people who were to "subscribe" to the service, or license, what have you. I realize some of them are maybe non-trivial to implement, but would be worth it to take the service to the next level. The list:

*configuration: numbers of results returned -- add limit parameters

*give each type of your tables, links, span tags, div tags, font tags, etc. a CLASS attribute that a webmaster can construct a stylesheet for, so they can modify all aspects of the look and feel of your returned HTML without having to resort to other, less reliable methods.

*ordering of results returned (is generally different each request) -- add sort parameters -- users tend to look where they saw something last, and when it isn't there, it's frustrating.

*semantic grouping of categories across merchants for a consolidated vertical dataset --- that is to say, "Camping supplies" contains both "Tents" from Merchant A, and "Wilderness living" from Merchant B as they both offer products from conceptually the same category. End result would be the ability to "Create a store" that allows for (as noted previously in this forum) "Candles" or "Shoes" across one or more merchants.

*an option to turn the images off during browsing -- text links only can be very useful.

*a way for [paying users?] to upload their own templates that use a specialized form of markup to further customize their own results pages, as a "step up" from CSS (noted above).

*a sliding-scale of affiliate code replacement depending on overall sales throughput (starting with statistics on your 4th click), or by subscription/fee.

*a standard method for a user of goldencan to integrate their own data feeds into their specific goldencan output: that is to say, a way to specify: OK, I have created my store, but also include these web-service based datafeeds (which I provide on my own server) in your results. My web service that provides my own data is at: "http:// [...]". Allow these web services to implement a REST, SOAP or otherwise standard XML over HTTP transport.

*allow "proven" affiliates to access a web-service that the affiliate can use to either access the consolidated affiliate data in XML format, real-time, or alternatively provide an XSL transform to convert [an internal representation of your] XML data into HTML (and verify it's HTML if it's a violation to send raw data). I realize this may be a violation of your terms in being able to consolidate the merchant data-feeds, but it sure would be nice, and maybe a middle-ground could be struck based on the format of the data you are to provide, for how much, and who's getting paid what. It could be tricky but ultimately useful and profitable.

One major question I have is: How does it scale? What kind of throughput can you handle? How fast can you roll out more servers? Are you running multiple slaved databases? Etc. Any info you can provide would be great.

I'm sure I'll have more ideas later. Great start though, keep up the good work. It's fantastic that I can use it for no cost, even if there is a fourth-click sacrifice. I look forward to opening a beta page with it once I've tweaked my setup. I'll post that URL here for you to take a look at when it's ready.

Cheers,
    John

I have another suggestion. If affiliates want to pay an annual subscription fee, free access to feeds free of 4th click AND free of golden can links ( powered by golden can) I would pay for a service such as this, if the fees were reasonable.

Quote Originally Posted by Anne
    I have another suggestion. If affiliates want to pay an annual subscription fee, free access to feeds free of 4th click AND free of golden can links ( powered by golden can) I would pay for a service such as this, if the fees were reasonable.
    I'm sorry but, I don't agree on that.

If I am going to promote the merchant products by listing their datafeed on my sites, they better pay for that service or I would let the GoldenCAN take the fourth click.

I'm not willing to pay a fee in order to promote a merchant, if I can get another similar merchant to give me the same tools for free.

Sal.

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    What's with the Planet Splooge Free Game banner messing up the top of this thread? I'm all for GC enhancements and a wide selection of merchants. I'll go the old fashion way and make individual merchant showcase pages with some additional content. No free 4th click and I mix in some of their text/banners and competition too.

Sure wish Asif would explain how to properly make the multi-merchant search box show results on a seperate landing page template.
    Webmaster's... Mike and Charlie

"What have you done today to put real value into a referral click...from a shoppers viewpoint!"

ABW Ambassador
    "I'm not willing to pay a fee in order to promote a merchant, if I can get another similar merchant to give me the same tools for free."

It can be available as an option.

I have to agee with Leader on that one. On the surface, Anne's idea has merit, but when you look at the overall picture as Leader has, it does not work.

But that is what is so great about having a forum like this. Everyone is free to deciminate ideas and suggestions (and complaints) to help improve everything for all of us. Asif is lucky to have such a great group of folks providing suggestions. Of course, it helps that he has such a great product, support and reputation.
    Ron Bechdolt | Affiliate Program Management Consultant
    7 Days A Week Marketing

Asif will benefit from the growing gang using Golden Can either from merchants paying to make it 4th click free or from the 4th click. I guess I'm saying...why complicate things with different pay levels/options for using Golden Can?

I would entertain the idea of eliminating the 'powered by' for a nominal yearly fee.

I would entertain the idea of eliminating the 'powered by' for a nominal yearly fee.
    I have no problem with that idea!

But, While I agree that I don't like the 'powered by' anyone on any of my pages, I would not mind giving GoldenCan a free ride for the rest of this year.

In my view, GoldenCan has come out with the best affiliate marketing tool for 2005, so I have no problem with the miscellaneous stuff so far.

Sal.

I guess it depends on the site, and an option is an option. People who don't want an option don't have to use it, i think that is why it is an option, LOL!

Lightbulb
    Most of us have many sites, with just as many site ids in CJ and others. wonder if it will be possible to store the individual site ids (for each network that uses separate IDs) in our account at GoldenCAN? might be a good possible future modification. when it comes time to pick the proper ID for a store we could choose from a drop-down list of our sites and the ID would be inserted.

Mr. GoldenCan
    Quote Originally Posted by Herb ԿԬ
    Most of us have many sites, with just as many site ids in CJ and others. wonder if it will be possible to store the individual site ids (for each network that uses separate IDs) in our account at GoldenCAN? might be a good possible future modification. when it comes time to pick the proper ID for a store we could choose from a drop-down list of our sites and the ID would be inserted.
    I think this is a great idea and we can add this feature on GoldenCAN

Thanks
    Asif
    http://www.GoldenCAN.com

I'd like to see much improved search performance. Too many searches come up with no results, searches I know my visitors perform. When doing the same searches at shareasale "Get Product Linking Code" for Everythingfurniture there are results, on the Goldencan search nothing shows up for Everythingfurniture.

I think there should be an option to somehow have the "powered by" link removed. It is a drawback for some sites. This is especially true if the merchant is paying so the 4th click doesn't apply. Their affiliates shouldn't be forced to have that "powered by" on all their pages.

Plus, it's just another way for the SEs to identify the page as database driven, and apply filters.

15 years and counting
    Andy - Plus, it's just another way for the SEs to identify the page as database driven, and apply filters.
    I don't think it's visible by the SE's as it's inside the script. I'm not crazy about the "powered by" link because it doesn't fit most of my pages. It's worse if you have the script more than once in a page. Asif should offer us several options to remove it. One being buying a license fee... could be free too as more merchants are willing to pay the 4th click.

Outsourced Program Manager Jorge - SHOPiMAR's Avatar
    Hello patung,

Sorry for delay.

Can you provide me some samples of searches you are doing for everythingfurniture.

Thanks.

I've been trying too but you can't add EverythingFurniture to a Multiple Store Coupon integration but CAN add it to a regular Multiple Store Integration or to a Single Merchant Coupon page, all by itself.

I assumed you wanted it this way but did want to put it on a Coupon page with all stores.

But EverythingFurniture comes up great if you make a Multiple Search page of furniture merchants. I just tried some generic terms of things I knew you had, such as Reclining Chair, and Home Bar, and you were first on the results.

Outsourced Program Manager Jorge - SHOPiMAR's Avatar
    KariBon,

Thanks. Glad it's working for your site now.

Hope you did not mis this great tip. http://forum.abestweb.com/showthread.php?t=62421

Shows you how to display Price Drop Products Only using GoldenCAN.

Quote Originally Posted by jrami
    Hello patung,

Sorry for delay.

Can you provide me some samples of searches you are doing for everythingfurniture.

Thanks.

For me terms like 'southwest/ern', 'western' give no results on goldencan, 7 on shareasale. 'rustic' gives 7 or 8 on goldencan, 90 results on shareasale. 'Cedar' about 10 versus 67.

There must be others, those are the ones i looked at

Mr. GoldenCan
    Quote Originally Posted by KariBon
    I've been trying too but you can't add EverythingFurniture to a Multiple Store Coupon integration but CAN add it to a regular Multiple Store Integration or to a Single Merchant Coupon page, all by itself.

I assumed you wanted it this way but did want to put it on a Coupon page with all stores.
    KariBon, I was able to find the problem and fix it. You should be able to add EverythingFurniture in the Multiple merchant Coupon Integration now.

Thank you very much for letting me know about that problem.

Asif

Red face
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy
    I think there should be an option to somehow have the "powered by" link removed. It is a drawback for some sites. This is especially true if the merchant is paying so the 4th click doesn't apply. Their affiliates shouldn't be forced to have that "powered by" on all their pages.

Plus, it's just another way for the SEs to identify the page as database driven, and apply filters.
    and how

Mr. GoldenCan
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy

"Powered By GoldenCAN" link has been removed.

http://forum.abestweb.com/showthread.php?t=63372

Thanks
    Asif

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    I wish GoldenCan would publish their average conversion ratio of each GC merchant now they have gotten a ton of traffic from the application. The traffic generated by this application, overall, should be very targeted and devoid of spammy affiliate tricks. Having used it for several months on individual and combination showcase pages I cannot tell from network reports if it's a GC sale. Asif sees sales via his 25% and can easily compute the average clicks to generate a sale ratio.

Not all merchants deserve a GoldenCan badge of Merit. The GC conversion ratio will flag merchants who can't convert regardless of the product pre-click targeting. Resurrecting traffic to doggy non-converting merchants full of sister site leakage, 80% of GC products shown landing on OUT OF STOCK or discontinued pages does Asif, nor the affiliate do any good if the merchant won't purge and keep current the GC feed. I just checked eBags and most all wallets and handbags show OOS when clicked. Sister site (huge leakage) Shoedini has more in stock handbags and wallets ( ). Do either merchant deserve GC and affiliate exposure if they play these games and hide their conversion ratios?
    Webmaster's... Mike and Charlie

"What have you done today to put real value into a referral click...from a shoppers viewpoint!"

Internet Cowboy
    I would like to be able to store multiple PID codes for CJ and choose from them when creating a store.

25. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread