A little suggestion, please.
    I absolutely want to learn some PHP coding and I would like to know if you have a good book / ebook to help me start and to help me improve.

Thanks in advance

Fred.

Yes, moi aussi. There are so many titles out there, but I don't like the "Dummies" series. I learn by doing, so a project oriented book would be best.
    Renée
    Pay no attention to that woman behind the curtain. -Wizardress of Oz

Animal Lover
    I learnt from a book called 'php and mysql web development' by Luke Welling.

It's got some bugs in it though but it does cover the basics quite well.

Oscar

I've found the best way to learn is to download scripts or snippets and modify them for your own purposes. After you've seen enough code and worked with enough it becomes second nature. I say dive right in!

If you've got no programming background it might help to buy a guide or short book, but I've never found reading a huge programming book to be productive. You learn best by experience.

- Scott
    Hatred stirs up strife, But love covers all transgressions.

Quote Originally Posted by Gu4rdian
    I absolutely want to learn some PHP coding and I would like to know if you have a good book / ebook to help me start and to help me improve.

Thanks in advance

Fred.
    Hi Fred,

Try this PHP Manual, it's free!

Sal.

Thank you, all, for your suggestions.

I have a good basis on HTML and I already know a bit about PHP, I just lack the experience, probably. I thought about buying the PHP Bible but, if you think I should stick with the php website and some code I found here and there, I'll do that.

Thanks again and sorry about posting to the wrong place. So many forums, we'll soon need a GPS

Read, test, questioning, retest, requestioning, reretest, furious, reread, do the test again, wow php is so cool, let's read further!

That's the way I learnt, and you know that :P

If you already can program in another language, I'd suggest picking a project to do, and then use the PHP manual to slug through it. If not, hrm, the only PHP book I have is from Wrox and is about 4 years old, so no suggestions here.

Sean

Gu4dian,

I guess by now you have either mastered PHP or gave up a long time ago, but just in case you are still looking for resources, there are two I find indispensable...

(1) PHP quick ref card... I have printed and laminated it

http://www.digilife.be/quickreferenc...nce%20Card.pdf

(2) Dave's QuickSearch Taskbar Toolbar Deskbar... it provides an awesome quicksearch capability with shortcuts to code manuals for PHP and other languages. So, any time I'm working on php code if I have a question about something I type in 'php function' or 'php foo' and the DQSD pops up the page of the PHP manual that addresses the function or topic.

http://www.dqsd.net/

Even if you have mastered PHP by now, if you haven't come across these tools, they are worth grabbing. Both are free.

10. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread