Lite On The Do, Heavy On The Nuts Donuts's Avatar
    Color code old posts and threads?
    Is there a way to adjust my settings so that old posts / threads are color coded?

Someone will bring an old thread back to life and I'm reading it and then 2 minutes later I notice the shiot is 2 years old... wondering if I can configure my settings to make the background color of older threads brown and dingy so I recognize theiur age sooner...

(and yeah, I see the date's there already...)

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    Just not something gaudy please!
    There is no knowledge that is not power. ~Hemingway

Just not something gaudy please!
    Yea, something simple like orange with yellow horizontal stripes and green vertical stripes!

Quote Originally Posted by Andy
    Yea, something simple like orange with yellow horizontal stripes and green vertical stripes!
    I disagree with Kay Jewelers. I would bet on any given Friday or Saturday night more kisses begin with Bud Lite than Kay.

Although I agree with the intention, I think this could backfire. It would be a warning to those of us who realized it, but it would really draw attention to the old posts, which is the opposite of what we really want.

I know we talked before about resurrections of old posts. There were several suggestions back then, but most of them involved hacks to the software, which would be ongoing work for Haiko to maintain. There was also the suggestion of auto-closing threads, but sometimes they should be legitimately resurrected. Perhaps that should be revisited.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

I think resurrecting old threads is usually an honest mistake. You do a search for something, find a thread that is interesting, get involved reading it, and then reply to it without understanding it was thread #4 from when ABW first went online.

Changing colors would likely just call more attention to it. Perhaps Haiko could append ARCHIVE: before the thread topic if it's dated older than 60 days or something appropriate. I don't know if that's possible, but it might be a lot of work to do, and it seems Haiko's plate is pretty full right now as it is.

Oh, Suzie, I was just kidding about the orange...

Or how about a small hack to draw attention to the date while reading the thread. Could add a colored notice to the right of the date indicating that it's more than a year or two old.

- Scott
    Hatred stirs up strife, But love covers all transgressions.

good idea! old post would be old after 1 year and the date would be yellow automatically after one year, feseable?

Defender of Truth, Justice and the Affiliate Way
    I think almost anything to address the reviving of old threads requires a hack. I know Haiko had a couple of ideas to address it back when this came up before. He's obviously been working on some changes on the board to improve the functionality. He posted the other day that he had more changes coming and some other goodies for the boards in the works. This is probably something he has on the to do list.

This may sound harsh... oh well...

Old threads can be revived for good reasons - if it's Kellie or Uncle Scooter or Leader or TrustNo1... but when newbies go through all the old ones and start lighting off old dead threads, I want them to chill. Sometimes some newbie lights off 15 new posts to 15 3-year threads in one day, and gets me in knots...

Perhaps, like the exisitng PM limits on newbies, we prevent them from waking the dead (threads) until they are reasonably familiar with things. This wouldn't color code ugly, the legit old posts someone wakes up, but might improve the overall quality of ABW by keeping the resuscitator cups (Clear... bzzzzt) out of the hands of the interns.

I think resurrecting old threads is usually an honest mistake. You do a search for something, find a thread that is interesting, get involved reading it, and then reply to it without understanding it was thread #4 from when ABW first went online.
    Whenever I've seen a really old thread come up, my guess has been that it was opened up from the "similar topics" at the bottom of the page. Took me a long time to see the dates on the right. It the date was right before the title, that might help some. One just naturally thinks that those topics listed are recent.

Oh, Suzie, I was just kidding about the orange...
    I know. Just been waiting for a reason to use that smiley!
    I disagree with Kay Jewelers. I would bet on any given Friday or Saturday night more kisses begin with Bud Lite than Kay.

Don't want the new posts nor active topics look like a rainbow so no color coding. If we use a hack that allows only mods to revive a thread that would mean that threads would need to be set to expire after x days, I can do all of that, NP but then we get back to the time frame issue.

Similar threads may be the issue, I've thought of that ... how about we move the listing box on the bottom to up top next to the search this thread, rate this thread drop downs(the similiar threads option would also be a drop down).

Thoughts?
    Continued Success,

Haiko
    The secret of success is constancy of purpose ~ Disraeli

Internet Cowboy
    I think some old threads need to be revived from time to time. I know that I have purposely sought old threads that I knew existed and revived them to spark new comments on an old issue or because the crux of the original issue has changed.
    I would say maybe bold the date on a thread after x days so that whoever is reviving it can more easily tell that it is an old thread.

Defender of Truth, Justice and the Affiliate Way
    I have to think the similiar posts could be the culprit. If it isn't a major deal to move it up there, then I say give it a try and see if it helps.

I concur with Kellie.

Done -> http://forum.abestweb.com/showthread...473654#similar

Look on the top right of the thread toolbar
    Last edited by Haiko de Poel, Jr.; August 26th, 2005 at 03:50 PM.
    Continued Success,

Haiko
    The secret of success is constancy of purpose ~ Disraeli

I think that should stop most of it. I'm not opposed to autoclosing threads after 90 or 180 days or so, as long as they can be reopened by mods.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

18. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread