Kowabunga/MyAP: Creating SubIDs?
    I am not sure where to ask this, so here it is:

Is it necessary to pre-define each "Sub ID" in the MyAP/Kowabunga system before using it? Or can I just use a term and have the MyAP interface recognize that I've identified a SubID that didn't exist before?

I am experimenting (as an affiliate of a MyAP client) with Google AdWords and would prefer to be able to assign each keyword phrase its own unique Sub ID, to optimize tracking. But it's a real hassle to have to define dozens of new Sub IDs manually.

Lite On The Do, Heavy On The Nuts Donuts's Avatar
    "just use a term and have the MyAP interface recognize that I've identified a SubID that didn't exist before" = yes.

many myap merchants have live (or almost live stats) unlike Kolimbo aggregated stats (which can take up to 24 hours to post) - so it's very likely you can test my answer quickly.... enter your aff url and append a subid to it... log into myap stats and check the marketing tab.. the click throughs will show there with the subid.... you don't have to wait for a sale or anything...

and if your merchant takes phone orders, think out your strategy (and check with your affiliate manager there) first... if you start passing 2 variables [your aff id (constant) and your new varying subIDs] you could confuse the phone order takers.

Hmmm
    Quote Originally Posted by Donuts
    "just use a term and have the MyAP interface recognize that I've identified a SubID that didn't exist before" = yes.
    I just tried it, and the first clickthrough generated an error message; subsequent clickthroughs did go to the right destination page. The stats are not yet showing the test sub-ID, but based on your comments, I assume it will do so.

Perhaps Kowabunga should add the ability to upload a LIST of new sub-IDs, and some management tools for dealing with larger quantities of sub-IDs.

Special Liaison

Doesn't seem to work
    Sorry, Donuts, but it appears that you are mistaken.

I'm afraid that the reporting does not bear out the idea that I could just "use" a SubID and have it work. It turns out that I do, indeed, have to manually define each new Sub ID, loading one at a time through the online interface (which, oddly, pauses quite a while after each submission).

Ben helpfully posted a link to a page that does say "To use a Sub ID, the affiliate must first log in to their Sub ID management area and add the Sub ID through the interface there." (I'm not really sure why you didn't just cut and paste that sentence, or answer the question directly; I had already read that page several times.)

This does add a significant cost to conducting large-scale keyword-phrase advertising, since it requires the extra step of manually submitting new Sub IDs, one at a time. I'm estimating the time for that at about 20 to 30 seconds per keyword phrase, which is a huge extra hassle for a campaign with more than a few dozen phrases. (My current tests are just using a few dozen ads and perhaps 500-800 phrases total; if the test campaign is successful, I'd hope to launch about 15,000 to 30,000 keyword phrases over the next week or two -- which would clearly be unmanageable with the current Sub-ID interface.)
    Last edited by markwelch; August 25th, 2005 at 05:02 PM. Reason: correct typoes, clarify message

Nope. Dude, I have been doing this for a long time. There's something else missing in this puzzle. Knowing I was right (for me and the merchants I use), I went and tested it just now for fun -again - which I have done MANY, MANY times. I grabbed my link, made up a new SubID (actually changed one I current used), stuffed it into a browser address bar and hit go to visit two different myap merchants. I had already logged in to their systems - so hit refresh and Voila! - there's my new marketing SubID in my stats with a count of one (my own click) in each of these merchants stats.

I can see the instructions Ben sent and no doubt Ben and his materials are not wrong either.

Perhaps there's a setting within myap that a merchant can flip to say "auto allow new marketing SubIDs".

Perhaps my merchants are using an older version that has since been changed to make it "easier" (sarcasm) for affiliates.

Manually entering them is just stupid! I have over 25,000 keywords in the account where I use SubIDs.... 25,000 x 20 seconds = Budweiser.

Good luck in your hunt!

Maybe there's a switch, or different versions
    Thanks for following up, Donuts. You did exactly the same thing I did to test, and in my case the new Sub-ID tag has never appeared.

Ben? Care to comment on this?

PM me if I can help further - I'm well versed in ROI feedback loop completion regarding AdWords (and others) - you're looking at one way - if you're selling more than $5k / month for this merchant, grab me and we can discuss a MUCH better way for you to do this.

Special Liaison
    You do NOT have to upload each Sub-ID. Like Donuts suggested and tested, you can simply add any sub-ID you wish to your MyAP affiliate links and the MyAP reporting area will pick them up and report them individually - therefore having thousands of them does not need to be a massive headache.

If this isn't working with your particular merchant then let me know which merchant it is and I'll look into it further for you.

Either reply here or email me at ben at kowabunga.com - send me the merchant plus an example link you are using with the sub-ID attached to it.

12. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread