Coding Break) Did You Ever Have an Idea for Something That Later...
    Did You Ever Have an Idea for Something That Later...became a reality but because someone else pursued it and you let it slide?

I am taking a break from coding and I was just sitting here thinking of all the things I came up with that eventually someone else actually designed. I doubt my ideas were unique but based on seeing the need arise as I'm sure many other people recognized at the same time. Difference is...someone makes a move and beats everybody to the punch.

I remember like 10 years ago thinking I should register killer domain names but they were like $125 a year back then and it was too expensive (Hindsight sucks)

But some other ideas I had before actually seeing them "out there" include-
    - Coffee pots w/ timers (I was a toddler.. (lol uh-huh ) Timers were out but not on coffee pots. I decided my dad should have his coffee made in the morning so I set his coffee pot up with the timer switch.

- Disposable toilet cleaning brushes - Thought of it about 3 years ago.

- Security alarms for kids - Thought of it about 8 years ago.

Anybody else?
    Last edited by leeann; August 25th, 2005 at 11:31 PM.
    leeann

Shoppers determine what has value and they like coupons. Stop manipulating who set the cookie just because you do not like coupon and promotional sites.

I once thought of hooking computers together to share information. heheh just kidding but i know what you mean.

Life is Supposed to be Fun! Rexanne's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by leeann
    Did You Ever Have an Idea for Something That Later...became a reality but because someone else pursued it and you let it slide?
    sitting here thinking of all the things I came up with that eventually someone else actually designed. I doubt my ideas were unique but based on seeing the need arise as I'm sure many other people recognized at the same time. Difference is...someone makes a move and beats everybody to the punch.

I remember like 10 years ago thinking I should register killer domain names but they were like $125 a year back then and it was too expensive Hindsight sucks

But some other ideas I had before actually seeing them "out there" include-
    - Coffee pots w/ timers (showing my age..lol but I was a toddler.. ) Timers were out but not on coffee pots. I decided my dad should have his coffee made in the morning so I set his coffee pot up with the timer switch.

- Disposable toilet cleaning brushes - Thought of it about 3 years ago.

- Security alarms for kids - Thought of it about 8 years ago.

Anybody else?

I love the disposable toilet brush idea, Leann. I keep squawking about a coffee mug with a locator so when I lose mine in the house, I just have to press a button that's ALWAYS in the same spot and my coffee will scream back at me. If someone does this, please tell me where I can buy it. :-)
    Peace,

Rexanne

Rexanne.com
    Loving Everyone's Child Creates Magic

Quote Originally Posted by simplistechs
    I once thought of hooking computers together to share information. heheh just kidding but i know what you mean.
    You mean someone actually did this? lol (joke)
    leeann

Shoppers determine what has value and they like coupons. Stop manipulating who set the cookie just because you do not like coupon and promotional sites.

Quote Originally Posted by Rexanne
    I love the disposable toilet brush idea, Leann. I keep squawking about a coffee mug with a locator so when I lose mine in the house, I just have to press a button that's ALWAYS in the same spot and my coffee will scream back at me. If someone does this, please tell me where I can buy it. :-)
    Oh yeah...that would be a GREAT product! Or just a sticky thing you can put on whatever you lose.
    leeann

Troll Killer and best Snooper!
    I decide when the pigs fly!
    You know that little hand-held vacuum thingie that you can use to catch wasps, spiders and other pests in your home? Well my mother-in-law invented it! Only she called it the "Suck-A-Bug" and she never got around to making a prototype or patenting the idea.

Yea, ICQ. Tried to build an instant messaging system so some buddies and I could keep in touch real time. I thought it would be the perfect thing to put in the system tray. Then ICQ got launched

Sean

Here's an idea for someone to capitalize on... A remote control with a built in "clapper". Now go make a lot of money and give me a free one!

Streaatz

Well it's not a unique idea, but I thought of doing a Canadian version of Neflix a few years back. Since then, a few companies have popped up offering it.

I also thought of starting a caffeinated water business, market it to college kids, but that idea too was taken.
    [font=verdana][b][size=3][color=red]Are you familiar with [URL]MaxBounty.com[/URL] yet?[/color][/b][/size][/font][font=verdana][b][size=1][color=black]
    Over 120 merchants with CPA/CPS programs seeking affiliates
    Over 4500 network publishers seeking programs to advertise
    Earn $100 per merchant and 5% per affiliate on the second tier [/b][/color][/size][/font]

How about water proof cigarettes, so you can smoke in the shower? Ok, now I'm going a bit overboard...

Streaatz

Yup, Sure ... now let me check ... Cagles Mill's Avatar
    How about water proof cigarettes, so you can smoke in the shower?
    That would be for the really heavy smokers.

I've had a lot of "great ideas" while dreaming in my sleep. The only problem is that after I wake up they seem really stupid.
    Rick M.
    I would rather have a bottle in front of me, than have a frontal lobotomy!
    Does your bubblegum lose its flavor on the bedpost overnight?

Quote Originally Posted by Cagles Mill
    I've had a lot of "great ideas" while dreaming in my sleep. The only problem is that after I wake up they seem really stupid.

That's better than MY ideas, where they are really stupid when I come up with them being awake!

Streaatz

Yep, plenty of times
    Hey, Leeann, I've got a long list of those. In a previous life I designed products for big companies. Most were very succesful. We competed for development funds with all other departments. Many of my ideas were sidelined only to see them introduced by competitors a year or two later.

Ideas are still flowing non-stop. My brain won't take a break. I've got a desk drawer full of patents, a wall full of plaques, and made some fairly decent contributions to my bank account. Since going on my own, all the resources of the big companies are no longer available. But there is plenty of help for independent inventors. If you have an idea that you think has a real market potential, go for it.

If you are anywhere near a major city, there might be a local inventors' club. They have incredible networking and support groups. They can help you find experts, labs, money, lawyers, and all kinds of support. One club I belonged to even had a rep from Wal-Mart come and tell us about their test marketing programs. When you can get passionate about an idea, you just might make a big splah. One last note: stay away from idea and invention promotion companies. Most of them are scams.

Quote Originally Posted by raywood1
    . One last note: stay away from idea and invention promotion companies. Most of them are scams.
    I always wondered about those companies. I was trying to remember the name of the company that created the prototypes for one of the The Apprentice episodes. They came up w/ some pretty awful office creations and some company in NY made the product for them.

I still think grocery stores should all have a program for people to shop online while at work and stop by and pick up their orders. Groceries to go - concept. Only a handful do it and not many of the "big guys." Why doesn't someone here come up with an easy program and market it to Albertsons. I hate grocery shopping. All I can figure is that what software is available isn't universal enough because the stores are way slow in getting into it.
    leeann

Quote Originally Posted by Streaatz
    That's better than MY ideas, where they are really stupid when I come up with them being awake!

Streaatz
    People love stupid inventions. Look at the pet rock and the thing that grows grass out of the top of it's head. Stupid things have a way of becoming classics. I think I saw reference here to someone selling property on Mars or something? How dumb is that?? lol.. but what a kick. A framed deed to property in space.
    leeann

ABW Ambassador
    Recumbent tricycle. Two wheels in the front, one in the rear. Low to the ground despite the 27" wheels. Thought it up 12 years ago while riding my bike.

I saw one two years ago.

When I was a kid I was fascinated by the fact that some electronics (small radios and such) could be powered by an adapter that plugged into the cigarette lighter in a car. I was disappointed by how few products had such an adapter, so I thought it would be a good idea to invent some sort of device that would plug into the lighter, and would have a standard AC outlet. That way, ANY electrical device could be powered in the car.

5 years ago, I bought one of these power converters at Radio Shack for $125! This summer, I bought another one at Walmart. Go figure.

My dad was an electrical engineer - had the resources and relationships to create this product - but I was only in elementary school - he didn't take the idea seriously. (In the 80's, Dad did predict that TVs would be built-in to the walls in our homes - can you say "Plasma"?)

Another idea I had as a kid, was some sort of device that fits on the front of your car that regulates the speed of your vehicle based on the distance of the car in front of you. Kind of a cruise control with a twist. In the late 90's I saw a TV show where they were testing a prototype just like this. Saw a different show just a few days ago, where they are using radar and laser light to do the same thing.

I thought of both of these ideas 25-30 years ago.

My first experience dialing onto the Internet was in 1995. (At that point I had been using BBS for over 5 years-it was cool to be able to create graphics with ASCII characters and download small utilities for my computer...not to mention online chat!) My first thought was that video rentals and libraries would eventually be a thing of the past. I could see a huge worldwide database of books and movies, where we simply downloaded whatever we wanted to read or watch. Saw an aff program last week offering - legally downloadable movies.

These days, technology develops so quickly, you have to JUMP when you have an idea - tomorrow is too late. I love to imagine what tech will be like in 10 years and spend a lot of time thinking about it.
    - I am not young enough to know everything

I had an idea a couple weeks ago about a car engine that was designed as an 8 cylinder engine, but that scaled back to just the number of cylinders that the current load required. Come to find out, Cadillac did that (not very successfully) in 1981 and GMC picked in back up a few years ago, included it in several 2005 models, and is including it in more in the near future.

Their idea was to switch from 8 to 4 with solinoid. Mine was much more "random", with a computer balancing which cylinders to use, helping keep the wear even and firing just enough to meet the load. For instance, it might just first on 1, 4, and 7 one cycle, and 2, 5, and 8 the next. Step on the gas, and it might do 2, 4, 5, and 7. Step really hard and it might do all 8.

A computer could easily do this. Even at 6000 RPM, that's only 100 revolutions per second, or 800 decisions per second on whether to fire or not. (It's actually a little more complicated than just firing. There's air, gas, firing, and exhaust to consider.)
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

I have an idea that I'm fairly confident has never been done. I'd rather not go into specifics, but let's just say that it's a huge space and weight saving twist in a multi-billion dollar industry that would make a consumable product reusable a number of times. I think there would be broad consumer acceptance of it, but I think there would be little acceptance among those who would produce it, since it would reduce their consumable sales.

I wouldn't want to develop this myself, but I'd be more than happy to sell the idea for a very small royalty or a decent one-time payment. If anyone knows anyone who develops or buys ideas, let me know.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

I had the idea to make a Monopoly game based on the city I was living in. I was about 10 years old and loved the game. About 15 years later they were out there. Now if Monopoly really had it together they would let you get online and design your own. Maybe they do? I have never looked.
    leeann

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelColey
    it's a huge space and weight saving twist in a multi-billion dollar industry
    I just found out that they now have a washer/dryer combination that is full capacity and it is all in one. You don't have to switch the wash into a dryer. Based on the weight, it fills to the appropriate water level and based on the moisture - it will dry it without you setting any controls & automatically shutoff. It also does not require a lent vent going outside. It is designed at the same height as most dishwashers so you can put it under a kitchen counter or in a closet near a bathroom. No more ugly dumping ground/laundry room! Turn it into your own private computer room if you don't have one.
    leeann

22. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread