Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Question Drinking Water
    We all know that we're supposed to drink 8-12 (8oz) glasses of water a day... but how many people actually do?

This is something I've really been struggling with. I'm just finding it hard to create the new habit. The water itself isnt so bad, it's just a matter of making a concious decision to grab the bottle and tote it with me wherever I go.

I managed 40oz yesterday - would like to work it up to 64oz/day consistently. I figured starting a thread here would help with the accountability factor...

[link drop removed]
    Last edited by Adam Ward; January 22nd, 2009 at 08:57 AM.
    <b>Lynn Terry</b>
    (<a href="http://clicknewz.blogspot.com">my blog</a>)

I heard a report on television that no one can really identify where the 8-12 glasses a day standard came from. There seems to be some dispute there, but I don't recall if the theory is we need more water or less water than the standard.

I can assure you, after having a kidney stone, you will make sure to drink plenty of water every day to keep everything flushed out...at that point, it is not a hard habit to create.

I drink at least 64 oz. per day of water. Carbonated, flavored sugar water, that is. (I know, that doesn't count!)

I probably don't drink 32 oz. per week of plain water.

A friend's great-grandmother refused to drink water. She said it would "rust her insides" (and she seriously believed it). She died at 92.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

Take this for what it is worth.

About 7 weeks ago, as the result of some dental issues , I switched from about 144oz of Coca-Cola per day to 80-100oz of water per day .

I haven't changed anything else. I've lost 14 pounds.

I am never going back.

-John.
    There's a reason army's wear uniforms even though it makes them easier to spot. Sometimes that's what you want. Uniforms suggest organization, power, and numbers. These, in turn, inspire fear. And, as any good operative knows, there is no more effective weapon than fear.

Hosting Comparison - HostScope - jrrl.com

A Real *and* Darn Cool Member! lstolze's Avatar
    I drink at least 8 oz of some type of water with every meal. After I had my son, I was still very overweight - I'll be honest here - I was 220 pounds at the end of pregnancy. When I came home from the hospital, I was down to 195. He is now almost 21 months old and I weigh 143 pounds thanks to the South Beach Diet, losing all sugar and soda, and only one glass of juice a day. When you see those kind of results, it's alot easier to down that water. The first month of the diet, I basically only drank water, so it's easier now. As for the suggested standard, I think it's hogwash. I think if you drink water with meals it helps digestion and gives you plenty for the day. It's alot more than most people drink, and as Michael pointed out, these same people live a long time anyway.
    Last edited by lstolze; August 26th, 2005 at 08:35 AM. Reason: Naughty typos!
    ~Lisa - Brilliant Mastermind, or Nut? You decide!

That is so encouraging, John!

For the last two weeks I've been cutting WAY down on food... and also working out consistently on my new Gazelle. After 2 straight weeks I would have expected SOME change... maybe a pound or two on the scale, my jeans fitting better... ANYthing!

But there wasnt a change at all. Nada. I was told to add water to the mix, and it would make all the difference. Glad to hear it from someone that there's some truth to it!

(sipping away on this end)
    <b>Lynn Terry</b>

I probably saw the same television program that Andy saw. According to that, a study was performed to determine where the 8 to 12 glasses of water advice originated. No evidence was found regarding ANY type of study that was ever performed regarding the health benefits of drinking that much water and no formal study ever recommended this. Chalk it up to urban legend or slick marketing from the bottled water companies.

I do, however, personally think it's a good idea to drink lots of water to keep your system flushed and to prevent kidney stones and other maladies.
    There's good, fast and cheap. Pick any two.
    [url=http://www.topranksolutions.com]Phoenix SEO[/url] :: [url=http://www.tech-evangelist.com/category/affiliate-marketing/]Affiliate Marketing Tutorials[/url]

ABW Ambassador
    I shoot for 48-64oz a day.

I too had dental issues due to my morning to night pop habit. I dropped the dew and picked up dasani. I was drinking 80 oz a day. I was told that was too much for me and to cut it back a bit. I keep bottled water at my desk and mainly drink water during the work day.

My other vice is coffee and it is slowly heading up the march to overthrow water. Must keep strong............

Sarah

As far as the lack of source for the 8-10 glasses rule, see what snopes has to say about
    it

That said, I do feel better, although I suspect that has more to do with eliminating 3000 calories per day and a lot of sugar and acid from my diet than any miraculous property of H20.

-John.
    There's a reason army's wear uniforms even though it makes them easier to spot. Sometimes that's what you want. Uniforms suggest organization, power, and numbers. These, in turn, inspire fear. And, as any good operative knows, there is no more effective weapon than fear.

Hosting Comparison - HostScope - jrrl.com

I used to drink at least 8-10 glasses of water per day. However my doctor advised me not to take it all in 2-3 shots(believe me, thats what a lot of us do). Its always advisable to drink a lot of water throughout the day and at regular intervals (say every 60 mins. or so).

When I was studying in graphic design, I heard that working in front of a computer screen long hours can dry you alot. I used to drink more than 10 glasses of water a day but since I have my air conditioner in my desk I dropped to 4-5 glasses.

Water can "rust your inside"? It make me think alot lol

Quote Originally Posted by Lynn Terry
    That is so encouraging, John!

For the last two weeks I've been cutting WAY down on food... and also working out consistently on my new Gazelle. After 2 straight weeks I would have expected SOME change... maybe a pound or two on the scale, my jeans fitting better... ANYthing!

But there wasnt a change at all. Nada. I was told to add water to the mix, and it would make all the difference. Glad to hear it from someone that there's some truth to it!

(sipping away on this end)
    Thought I'd give you a quick update: By the 4th day, I'd lost 2 pounds!

I'm tickled pink - first time the scales have moved in so long that I was beginning to wonder if they were stuck

I'm sold on the water... not just because I finally lost a couple of pounds, but I feel better in general to boot.
    <b>Lynn Terry</b>

I don't trust anything dieticians or "Pop-health" guru's say, especially what comes from any company trying to sell their product. A pet peeve is "isotonic drinks" - complete scientific garbage. Another peeve is people walking down the street in a business suit clutching a plastic bottle of water like a trophy - and worst of all - those baby bottle teats that grown people think is a good way to drink - rant over.

As for drinking enough, my own measure may seem crude, but I can't think of anything better - I go by the colour of my urine, it shouldn't be a noticeably yellow colour, if it is drink more, if it's pale or clear, you're doing OK. This makes sure your body has what it needs for the current conditions, in a very hot climate, you sweat out most of what you drink, in a cold climate, it all goes through the kidneys. people from hot climates have far more kidney problems as they spend more of their lives dehydrated.

I'm a p/t teacher as a day job and I frequently encourage kids to drink. Often one will complain of a headache (say midday - early afternoon) did you have any breakfast? - No, did you have anything at break? - no, did you have any lunch? - a packet of crisps (chips), when was the last time you had a drink? - um, er, last night. Kids are more active and lose more water in sweat and breath and their smaller size makes them more prone to dehydration too. When we run revision or study sessions, we always provide bottled water and some fruit - it helps send the right message.

We all know that we're supposed to drink 8-12 (8oz) glasses of water a day... but how many people actually do?
    Lynn Terry, I do not believe it's just water. Any liquid should do. Say, in Russia we drink hot tea, in the US - iced-tea (or "sweet tea" as they affectionately call it in the South). Coffee, juices, soups... all of that counts (as far as I know).

I personally always keep a glass of water on my desk while working. Never count how much I drink out of it, but it's one of those large 350 ml (approx. 12 oz) glasses and I refill it about 3-4 times a day.

Geno

This is something I've really been struggling with. I'm just finding it hard to create the new habit. The water itself isnt so bad, it's just a matter of making a concious decision to grab the bottle and tote it with me wherever I go.

I managed 40oz yesterday - would like to work it up to 64oz/day consistently. I figured starting a thread here would help with the accountability factor...

A great article on the benefits of Drinking Water, for anyone interested:
    http://www.inch-aweigh.com/water.html
    I drink 3 28oz bottles of water min everyday...

I've been doing this for 3 years, my doctor told me I needed 75oz perday to keep my kidneys flushed and to pervent kidney stones from forming.. I also had to modify my diet as well.

It was hard at first giving up the other liquids... up since they dont count in my daily intake count, i figured why bother... so it's only water now...

I must admit it is hard sometimes to remember to take my bottles with me where ever i go... so I leave several in my car at all times....

JOe
    ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    that's my2cents, 'cuz I'm a legend in my own mind....

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Ward

As for drinking enough, my own measure may seem crude, but I can't think of anything better - I go by the colour of my urine, it shouldn't be a noticeably yellow colour, if it is drink more, if it's pale or clear, you're doing OK. This makes sure your body has what it needs for the current conditions, in a very hot climate, you sweat out most of what you drink, in a cold climate, it all goes through the kidneys. people from hot climates have far more kidney problems as they spend more of their lives dehydrated.
    this is the measure i use...(my doctor recommended it as an accurate measuring stick) during the hot weather I have been known to drink 6 or 7 28ox bottles of water and during the cool months I struggle to drink my 75oz.

Joe
    ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    that's my2cents, 'cuz I'm a legend in my own mind....

Substitute water for the unhealthy stuff
    The water you get in other drinks counts, like Geno said. Fruit and vegetables are also full of water.
    The rule of thumb I use (unless I really want a Coke) is:

When I'm hungry, drink water first.
    When I want a Coke, find water, tea or coffee instead most of the time.
    Keep cold water in the fridge where I used to keep the Coke. Drink it.
    Instead of the concentrated calories in juice, eat the whole fruit.
    When I want a mid morning or mid afternoon snack - decide between fruit or calcium, not between Snickers or Ruffles.

All of the above should keep you pretty healthy and prevent weight gain from empty calories. If you want to lose weight, you have to stop drinking and move!

Gotta go! It's time for dessert!

Judi

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    I've always got a bottle of water on my desk.
    I drink about 6-8 glasses' worth in a day. How much I have depends on what I'm doing, the weather, etc. I tried increasing the amount, but it was unpleasant to drink so much even after doing it for several weeks, telling me my body didn't really want all that.

I watch my urine color, too. Light yellow's fine but if it's too dark I go for more water. I've never tried to make it clear, because years ago nurses told me that clear meant I'd had *too much* water! LOL funny how recommendations change...

About 7 weeks ago, as the result of some dental issues, I switched from about 144oz of Coca-Cola per day to 80-100oz of water per day .

I haven't changed anything else. I've lost 14 pounds. ~Jrrrl
    A few years ago, I cut way down on drinking Barq's for the same reason (to avoid needing more dental work). From 4 cans to 1... I can't give it up completely.

Unfortunately, I didn't lose an ounce of weight. My body soon detected the drop in calories, and simply compensated by turning on the HUNGER signal! This was an insidious rise in hunger level, not really consciously noticable, but which easily caused me to just eat enough to make up for the lack of pop. The body's ability to maintain a set weight, if left to its own regulating system, is fairly amazing...

I only started to lose weight recently, when I began an exercise program, and purposefully cut back on my food intake (making sure not to obey any resulting sneakily slight rises in hunger level--I'm onto that trick now!).

I'm a p/t teacher as a day job and I frequently encourage kids to drink. Often one will complain of a headache ~Paul Ward
    It's not just kids that happens to--if I don't drink enough I get headaches, too. If I get involved in something on the computer, sometimes a dull ache starting up is my first tipoff to actually stop and *drink* that bottle of water I've always got on my desk!
    There is no knowledge that is not power. ~Hemingway

"I drink about 6-8 glasses' worth in a day."

Well done leader - and everyone else whose drinking significant quantities of water!

I switched from Coke to pure fruit juices a couple of years back. However, I've heard that they can be harmful, too, and contain lots of sugar. Pardon my ignorance, but isn't their sugar 'natural' and not as bad for me?

Anyhow, am going to try to move on to water. Only thing is I don't like the 'taste' of water - because it doesn't have any. I like sparkling water - is that as good for us or does it contain something to make it fizzy which we shouldn't be drinking?

ABW Ambassador
    I used to drink 1.5 liters water in the morning before breakfast. I cut to 1 liter cos it is probably too much. I like to clean up my system in the morning.

Don't keep track how much I drink for the rest of the day though.

But I'm still overweight as I eat whatever I like, whenever I like and I absolutely love sweets, chocolates, ice cream.. the works.

I drink tons of water a day while on the puter. What I do is put 5 bottles in the freezer overnight and take one out and have next to the computer. This way it is always cold as I drink it.

I just watched this Dr. Oz guy on OPRAH and plan on buying his book( off my own site of course) You can watch his segment on your puter off Oprah's website click on "insiders guide to looking younger"

Quote Originally Posted by Azam.com
    I switched from Coke to pure fruit juices a couple of years back. However, I've heard that they can be harmful, too, and contain lots of sugar. Pardon my ignorance, but isn't their sugar 'natural' and not as bad for me?
    Sugar is sugar. Juice has a lot of other things in it that are good, but overdoing it on juice will have some of the same effects as overdoing it on any product with sugar.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    There's actually a slight chemical difference between sucrose and fructose, but it works about the same.
    There is no knowledge that is not power. ~Hemingway

The thing about fruit juices are you want to (if you can help it) drink 100% fruit juice. The fruit juice from concentrate isnt as good for you but thats the one that taste better of course. I have been doing a lot of research on this for my weight loss site. Figure if I am going to lose some weight might as well incorporate it to some use.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast