A Real *and* Darn Cool Member! lstolze's Avatar
    It's my husband. He helped launch several well-known dot coms, but charges me next to nothing. Seriously though, I wouldn't be able to do it without him.
    ~Lisa - Brilliant Mastermind, or Nut? You decide!

Depends on the size and depth of the project, but I've used rentacoder, elance and some php experts I know for projects. The problem with elance and rentacoder is that the project becomes too rigid and in relaity it needs to be more flexible as you see new oppty's or issues with the project during and after completion, that's why I prefer my experts, but it's nearly double to triple the cost.
    Continued Success,

Haiko
    The secret of success is constancy of purpose ~ Disraeli

Thumbs up Good Programmers
    You can find excellent programmers at www.JobPosting.ws.

We have tons of freelancers in all fields ready to bid on projects.

Before launching Job Posting, I had a lot of experience working with some of the programmers on other projects.

Your first job posting is free.

Thanks,
    William

Finding one is a painful .. sometimes long and potentially expensive process. But, once you find somebody who knows your tune and can sing along, do whatever it takes to keep them.

I've always been a programmer first and affiliate second, but from time to time I do outsource some work for a range of reasons. I always, without a second thought, go with my personal contacts. I pay more than the offshore folks charge, but it's money well spent: communications, personalities, etc. are all "knowns" which makes it a better value and experience overall, as well as ultimately more profitable.

If you go with elance, scriptlance, rentacoder, or others make sure you have a specification that is as detail oriented as possible. I can't stress this enough. So many times in my own consulting history, or second hand stories from friends and associates have I heard stories of disaster that often began with "well, they didn't know what they wanted". Leave very little room for interpretation. Establish guidelines, milestones, style requirements, non-disclosure, etc. and always use an escrow. That said, if there are ambiguities in your requirements, and you know it, make note of whether or not the person you hired asks the right questions. Seems to me that managing programmers is sort of like herding cats.

That said, Once you get somebody who you can trust and do the job, make it worth their while not to pimp themselves, or they'll go back and end up playing ball with your competitors.

Sorry if I repeat a lot of stuff you already know here. Thought I'd share while I've got a sunny afternoon to post .

Cheers,
    John

I recommend finding somebody who's familiar with your industry. There are programmers here on ABW who are willing to do small contracts for other affiliates. Feel free to PM me if you'd like to discuss a project. I've got reasonable rates and can complete most small projects in just a few hours.

- Scott
    Hatred stirs up strife, But love covers all transgressions.

Try Elance.com, Some programmers are very good. This is an ebay company and you are able view customer reviews. If i Were you I would stick with a linux server and php programmer, its cheaper and ranks better in se's

lurk
    Quote Originally Posted by netnow22
    Try Elance.com, Some programmers are very good. This is an ebay company and you are able view customer reviews. If i Were you I would stick with a linux server and php programmer, its cheaper and ranks better in se's

Elance = 60% Indian's... personally I'd stay away from them since so many Americans are losing their jobs from companies trying to cut costs by outsourcing to India.

Php & linux are free so will save you money, yes... but as far as them 'ranking better in engines' that is a wrong statement.
    Jason

Quote Originally Posted by jrod805
    Elance = 60% Indian's... personally I'd stay away from them since so many Americans are losing their jobs from companies trying to cut costs by outsourcing to India.

Well business is business, you can pay a us firm 6000 or an Indian 600, the choice is yours

Php & linux are free so will save you money, yes... but as far as them 'ranking better in engines' that is a wrong statement.
    Okay well let me explain, they rank alot better than asp.net because of all the extra code that it puts in your webpage. PHP is far more easier to code in reference with putting your keywords at the top of your page and having less mumbo jumbo. In PHP you can have a dynamic site and use a simple mod rewrite to display static urls. So my choice is PHP

lurk
    Quote Originally Posted by netnow22
    Okay well let me explain, they rank alot better than asp.net because of all the extra code that it puts in your webpage. PHP is far more easier to code in reference with putting your keywords at the top of your page and having less mumbo jumbo. In PHP you can have a dynamic site and use a simple mod rewrite to display static urls. So my choice is PHP
    Ok let me explain... Bots don't see ANY ASP.net code, at all (or PHP for that matter). This is parsed out through the asp engine before it is sent to the browser.

If bots could read your PHP code, every single website on the planet would have been hacked by now. That statement says that bots can find out your datasources, table name, steal code, etc.

Also, in practically any language you can format your urls to better suite search engines, there are a several ways of doing this.
    Jason

10. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread