ABW Ambassador
    Forest Fire
    I can see a forest fire from my backyard. It has burned over 1800 acres so far and is coming down the side of the mountain. It looks amazing - very big, beautiful and dangerous. I wish I had a digital camera. It's curved around like the mouth on a huge smiley face and looks like it's going back up the mountain.

I'm not sure if any homes have been lost but as of 6:00 tonight none had been. I'm 6 or 7 miles away so I'm pretty safe as long as the wind doesn't go totally nuts. It's blowing a lot now, but it's going in a good direction. Hopefully it will send the fire back up the mountain and no one loses their house to it.

This is the first forest fire I've been close to (and certainly the first I've seen from my yard!) so this all seems pretty wild to me.

I've been trying to think what all I would take if I had to evacuate or head to a different area like the folks are having to do for the hurricane. It's pretty wild to think about having to decide what you would take if you only had 15 minutes to get out of the house and you could only take what you can carry in your car. It really makes clear what you can't live without and what is just "stuff."

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    Wow that must be some scene!

It's pretty wild to think about having to decide what you would take if you only had 15 minutes to get out of the house and you could only take what you can carry in your car.
    I thought about it after reading about last year's hurricanes and their evacuations. I figured it would be better to give it serious thought while it's only speculation...then if something does come up, I'm not spending most of the time deciding.

I think what I came up with was:

COMPUTER
    Wallet (Money, CCs, IDs all inside)
    Clothes
    Cellphone and Charger (might as well, since those are so small)

With those, the rest could be rebuilt... If I couldn't wrestle the computer out in time, I could use the nearest functional library's instead.

Make it 30 minutes and the 2nd-tier stuff (camera, etc) would start hitching a ride. A day, and a trailer would likely appear!
    There is no knowledge that is not power. ~Hemingway

It's amazing how much people accumulate over the years. We just moved my Father from the house he's lived in for 15 years. All of us, including my Father, were amazed at how much stuff there was. We threw a lot of it out, gave some of it away, and moved the rest.

I have quite a few things to get rid of myself, my problem is finding the time to do it.

Kip, I hope the fire burns itself out soon, and you aren't put in the position of having to decide what to take with you. But this is also a good time to start planning for when you might have to leave. I guess all of us should do that.

ABW Ambassador
    The fire is out. At least I think it is. I haven't heard for sure, but I can't see it anymore.

My list would look a lot like Leader's except I figure it would take me a couple of extra trips to get my dog and her stuff in the car too. Plus, I would throw in some pictures, my tax papers and, if I had time, a collectible or two. I figure it would take me about 12-15 trips to the car. If there were a fire in the house - I would just grab my dog and go.

This is one of my favorite pictures of a forest fire.
    One day parasites and their ilk will be made illegal, I bet a few Lawyers will be pissed off when the day comes.
    Mr. Spitzer is fetching it nearer

YouTrek

6. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread