Reciprocal link question...
    I am almost ready to go live with a site and don't really plan on having a link page per se...I would rather put links to relevant and useful sites throughout the site on pertinent content pages. Anyone think other site owners would have a problem trading a link if it wasn't on a "link" page? and do links get rated differently in the search engines if it is in relevant content versus a page of nothing but outgoing links?

(Food for thought...someone asked me to "trade" links with them, gave me the link page url...but when I surfed to their home page and subsequent content pages...NO TRACE OF A LINK TO GET TO THE LINKS PAGE FROM MAIN NAVIGATION! Yeah, I really want to trade with them now...)

ABW Ambassador
    "Anyone think other site owners would have a problem trading a link if it wasn't on a "link" page? "

No, i think it would be better that way anyway.

I agree. My Link pages are hardly visited, except for perhaps by the search engines.

On the downside, if you exchange links with people you'll be giving them prime real estate, and they'll probably put you on their hardly-visited Link page.

They will definitely be getting the better part of the deal. Links pages are usually ranked very low by the SEs, for obvious reasons. But a link located on a page with content of a similar nature is solid gold.

>> They will definitely be getting the better part of the deal

yeah. you should get the same in return or equivalent. Don't settle for a link page recip if you're giving nice in-context links.

Offer to write a short article or some copy for them to use with your link in it. Make it easy for them.

Yea you have to watch your link exchanges - I have ran across many like.

Another thing to watch out for is the ones that give you a link on one domain and then put your link on another... like that helps you...

the best thing to do is seek out your own exchanges and pick the ones that are good solid links with PR..

I've noticed some of the large automatic link exchange companies have gone to PR0 recently. Not sure if Google is turning big time against Linkexchange companies or these companies got caught doing something wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by mhutch
    Not sure if Google is turning big time against Linkexchange companies or these companies got caught doing something wrong.
    Probably both! Link farms have been bad news for a long time - stay away from them!!
    Rosey Bear Boutique
    Dressy Children's Fashions With Style!
    5% Commission : NYS Merch : Parasite FREE
       Akoss Hosting
    We also provide reseller accounts for ABW members.
    Ask for details

Link exhanges are dead!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks guys for all the input. As usual, I knew I could count on everyones insight. I never even thought of offering content in the form of articles for the link, but I see that is probably the best way to ensure a more even trade and not be buried on an obscure page somewhere.

Link exchanges are tough. I think we all start out with them, but often the other side dumps your link without notice, or you exchange links with sites that get little or no traffic. Lots of effort for very little return.

If you've got all the time in the world, link trades are fine. If you've only got so much time to work with, you're probably best to spend it on working the search engines or looking for cheap or no fee places to buy traffic. Depending on your site topic, you can try writing articles that indirectly push your site, and offer them free to similar topic e-newsletters. Not only would that get you some free traffic, the type of return links it would get you should boost your search engine rankings.
    [font=verdana][b][size=3][color=red]Are you familiar with [URL]MaxBounty.com[/URL] yet?[/color][/b][/size][/font][font=verdana][b][size=1][color=black]
    Over 120 merchants with CPA/CPS programs seeking affiliates
    Over 4500 network publishers seeking programs to advertise
    Earn $100 per merchant and 5% per affiliate on the second tier [/b][/color][/size][/font]

I have link pages on most of my sites but I'm making more "non" link page exchanges, and home page exchanges.

13. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread