Mambo php shop versus oscommerce
    Hi,
    I would be grateful for your help, please. Has anyone here any experience with both creloaded AND mambo ecommerce? I am probably a little too inexperienced to make a good judgement here, but mambo's phpstore seems to be the more powerful product, but unstable. I have downloaded the latest version, but there were around half a dozen instances where the whole site crashed on me when performing simple operations. Is this a fair comment, or am I just a silly noob? I have also checked out creloaded.....it seems more stable, but difficult to modify in terms of appearance and functional groupings compared to mambo.

I would be most grateful for any comments! Thanks for your time.

ABW Ambassador
    Don't want to take this off topic, but someone I know swears by Drupal (open source) for doing ecommerce stores. I don't know if there's an existing plug-in module for it, but feedback on that one would be good to have, too,

If it is shopping cart you are after then I'd always choose something that is a shopping cart first i.e. osCommerce. One of the big problems in the open source world is that people want every product to do everything. They want shopping cart packages to do CMS, they want CMS to do shopping carts, they want CRM packages to do accounting. I have seen way too many examples of weak features being added to a strong product.

Mambo is a CMS package first and foremost. Oscommerce is a shopping cart package first and foremost. Use each for thier strong points.

I've used both and although its been awhile since I configured OScommerce it seems I had an easier time with it.

I have a mambo store in the works right now and there are some issues that I have to go into core files to hack but I'm familiar with their system, for someone else new to mambo and not a technical guru it a fairly big learning curve. With that being said its easy enough to downlowd both of tham and install and play around with them for a week or so. I like mambo because of all the cms stuff it offers it has a better backend/administration IMO...but I've been using it and understand the system.
    Suz~~GearGirl~~

Hey thanks for the replies..I appreciate them.

Actually since I posted the original question, I have set up two test sites...one based on creloaded oscommerce, and the other Mambo with php shop. Both interfaces are easy enough to customise and it didn't take too much brain strain to alter & streamline some of the functionality......its all very impressive and I like the way these sites perform. Thanks to all you open source guys who created these awesome products!

Ok, so heres my initial evaluation based on around a month worth of work on the two test sites:

Creloaded pros:

-Nice choice of modules, including an affiliate program manager
    -Too many great functions to mention.... though I especially appreciate `easy populate' which enables the administrator to backup everything easily and duplicate the data on another site.
    -Functions are logical and grouped well, such as cross promotions and general browsing.
    -User can buy products without registering first (I really, really like this)
    -product pages are highly customisable ...just cut and paste your html into the document
    -great online community support.

Creloaded cons:
    -Surprisingly limited shipping options compared with mambo php shop, making it nightmare (if not impossible) to use for drop shippers who need different shipping costs for each product and nation.

-Some functions in the current version just don't work (specials cart) or are very poorly designed (the shopping cart module).....so its not as stable or user friendly as I would have expected. But you can dig into the code and fix these things of course.....it just takes a lot of time and messing with php code.

Mambo php shop pros:
    -its definately the superior product. It has more functions built into it generally, including very comprehensive shipping and product page options. It can do most of what creloaded does, and you can tweak it to present products and cross promotions in a very similar way too.

Mambo php shop cons:

-The buyer must register before buying. Thats ok for expensive items, but for my high volume, low cost items I don't think my buyers would like it.

-You have to be careful with using it with some Mambo templates .....sometimes the php shop component doesn't quite fit within the mambo table structure, and the whole module will disappear to the bottom of the page! Very unprofessional looking.

-I think the guys who created it stopped updating and supporting it for a long time...which makes me nervous. Oh well its free and i'm sure those guys have busy lives....I just thinkits a great product which could use a few minor alterations.

Anyway, hope this helps someone out there.

http://www.mambo-phpshop.net is the home site for mambo phpshop. Soeren is the lead developer and I believe they/he is still working on it? Maybe not... The last release was in July. They have their own forums on that board.

If I have questions I go to that board not the mamboforge board. I've always found the answer to my question or someone I can colaborate with to solve an issue.

p.s. Soeren is an awesom developer and has put in an unbelievable amount of work into this project.
    Suz~~GearGirl~~

Thanks Suzie, yes the developers rock!

Maybe my nervousness is unfounded, but another *tiny* concern I have regarding fully committing myself to mambo is, well,....the newest version is not even called Mambo anymore, did you realise? Its now called `Joomla' so I assume that mambo (as we know it) will be dropped. I therefore feel a bit skeptical about investing myself in mambo when cleary its in a transitional phase.

There another product I am quite interested in watching develop too is called `moscommerce'....its basically mambo, with oscommerce as the shopping cart instead of php shop. But again, the problem seems to be finding dvelopers who are willing to continue and update the project.

For now, most of my energy goes into customising my creloaded site.....for now it is my shopping cart of choice.

Yes you are right there was/is a split with mambo. The core developers split off into joomla (mambo renamed.) and most of the developers of components and modules are following the band wagon.

I don't really have the time to read up on the whole situation but it seems since its open source Joomla will follow its own path(similar to zencart and oscommerce) and Mambo has new developers taking their own direction.

I spent the better part of today messing with templates and integrating payment modules with Mambo. I guess I'm committed to it since its what I've been dealing with.

I did an Oscommerce storefront a few years back with a home business we had and it was pretty easy for a beginner to deal with. I remember seeing loxly on the boards then back then!

I don't think oscommerce has advanced any further since then(version is still the same). Not saying it needs to it is just more mature in development than mambo-phpshop is.

Mambo phpshop is still fairly new as far as cart software goes.
    Suz~~GearGirl~~

Thanks again for the info Suzie. I'd love to hear how you get on with the Mambo php shop site. If it is stable that would make me feel ecstatic! It really is a very professional and classy shopping cart in my opinion.

10. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread