Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Cooking.com payment from EComWorks for February '05
    This is absolutely rediculous! We are approaching September and I still haven't received the check for the last month Cooking.com was at LS and managed by EComWorks.

On July 25, I wrote to them:

I just returned from the long 10 mile drive to my post office box to discover that I still have not received a check for the February 2005 earnings of $XXX for Cooking.com (the last month they were at LinkShare). Could you please tell me why there has been such a long delay, and when I can expect payment?
    They responded:
    We apologize for the delay and please be advised we are currently processing the Cooking.com February 2005 commission checks and you should be receiving your check soon. Thank you for your patience in this matter and have a great day!
    So I patiently waited, and then wrote again on August 15:
    I waited almost three weeks until Saturday, August 13, to make the trek to the post office again, thinking that would be plenty of time for the check to arrive. To my disappointment, it was not there. Any idea when the processing will be completed and the check will actually be mailed?!
    They responded:
    Thank you for your inquiry. Unfortunately, we do not have specifics as to when the check processing will be complete but be assured it will be soon.

We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause you.

Thank you for your patience and understanding in this matter and have a great day!
    Meanwhile, today I received four emails from them telling me I've been "pre-approved to become part of our newest client's Affiliate Program" for four different programs. And, get this, the site they quote in the emails as being approved isn't even my site. They haven't paid me for commissions earned in February, the can't get the name of my site right, and they honestly think I'm anxious to do business with them again?

I went to the post office box again this past Saturday, and still no check. Didn't bother writing to them this time as I might scream if they respond again telling me to "have a great day!"

Has anybody received their final check for Cooking.com February commissions? If so, please let me know. Ever since LS made me use my street address to re-register, it's the only check I'm waiting for at the post office box. I hate to make that long trek, again, until I know it is has a chance of being there.

I have never received final payment from cooking.com either. It looks as if I will have plenty of writeoffs on my income tax this year--under theft deductions.
    These are legal writeoffs for small business.

I haven't gotten my check either. I've only received the emails asking me to confirm the amount owed and my mailing address. Although I earned the money, they only still owe me under $3 so it's not really worth any effort on my part.

Hope they don't owe you too much. Maybe we'll get it end of this quarter?

You've been waiting 6 months for payment?!?!?! Talk about deadbeats! They can't pay affiliates for business they've already received, but they can try to lure new affiliates in...sounds like a HUGE SCAM to me. It would be foolish to promote them, timely payment is an important part of the circle, without it there's a big hole. It doesn't float.

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    Now I'm extremely glad I refused to touch them with a barge pole until after their move. Their payments have (so far!) come in just fine at CJ.

Sounds like a typical scumball's network-hop...leave, without paying the old network on the way out. Makes me wonder when they'll up and leave CJ--and leave their new affs with a bunch of reversals!
    There is no knowledge that is not power. ~Hemingway

Tracy, you should probably contact cooking.com and see if they can do anything.... EcomWorks are prolly still trying to recover from all the bounced check charges from their last fiasco!!
    Rosey Bear Boutique
    Dressy Children's Fashions With Style!
    5% Commission : NYS Merch : Parasite FREE
       Akoss Hosting
    We also provide reseller accounts for ABW members.
    Ask for details

Quote Originally Posted by geezer
    I have never received final payment from cooking.com either. It looks as if I will have plenty of writeoffs on my income tax this year--under theft deductions.
    These are legal writeoffs for small business.
    Careful. They're only legal writeoffs if you recognized the income. If you didn't recognize the income, it's already "written off" and writing it off again will be a double writeoff.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

Cool
    every company that leaves a network for another and owes me at the time will get a reminder every time they send me an email at the new network. I join at the new network but only put up a few links at first to make it look good.

It is my understanding the program is completely under new management. I don't think this is a case of Cooking.com trying to scam us. It is more likely a case of Cooking.com paid EComWorks (who managed the program while it was at LS), and EComWorks is dragging its feet in distributing the money since they no longer manage the program.

ABW Ambassador LinkShare Moderator's Avatar
    I'm working to get an ETA from EcomWorks. I hope to have an answer this week.

Kelli

That's inexcusable. Cooking.com needs to let its affiliates know what the hold up is. It is their reputation on the line, they are the ones who chose to do business with EcomWorks.

I hope you get your money soon, Tracy. You've been very patient!

Outsourced Program Manager Chris -  AMWSO's Avatar
    "pre-approved to become part of our newest client's Affiliate Program" for four different programs
    Hmmm That might explain some of those instances of people finding themselves signed up for affiliate programs that they never applied for... surely against the LS rules?

Did they sign you up for those programs and add them to your account Tracy or just say you would be approved?

Cheers

Chris

Actually, they said I could press the JOIN NOW button, so no they did not automatically sign me up.

The thing is the name of the website they quoted in the emails as being approved, isn't even my website. Not very professional, if you ask me. If they are going to do a List/Merge mailing, at least make they should make sure they match the sites up with the email addresses.

Oh, and I made the drive to my post office box again today because I was expecting another check from somebody else, which was there. Of course, still no check from EComWorks.

Newbie at tooting my own horn M_Diddy's Avatar
    Can anyone say GHETTO

Ecom is like the crack whore of affiliate marketing.....Lies, Deception....and sucking.

It is soooo uncool, and I personally want nothing to do with them.

Where is the communications, where are the emails...we are talking about FEB commissions.....Shame on you ecomworks, you just suck

Quote Originally Posted by LinkShare Moderator

Kelli
    The week is nearing its end, and Monday is a holiday. Did you get an answer?

Newbie at tooting my own horn M_Diddy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Tracy
    The week is nearing its end, and Monday is a holiday. Did you get an answer?
    Yeah yeah....The check is in the mail....Ghetto styles

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelColey
    Careful. They're only legal writeoffs if you recognized the income. If you didn't recognize the income, it's already "written off" and writing it off again will be a double writeoff.
    I probably should rephrase that as a bad debt since I provided a service and never received payment. That would be on the schedule C for a LLC company.

Quote Originally Posted by geezer
    I probably should rephrase that as a bad debt since I provided a service and never received payment. That would be on the schedule C for a LLC company.
    If they keep their books on the Accrual Basis (recognize income when earned). Those that keep their books on the Cash Basis, wouldn't recognize the income until they actually received if. If they never received it, then it was never recognized and there would be no bad-debt write-off.

Quote Originally Posted by Tracy
    If they keep their books on the Accrual Basis (recognize income when earned). Those that keep their books on the Cash Basis, wouldn't recognize the income until they actually received if. If they never received it, then it was never recognized and there would be no bad-debt write-off.
    Probably right there! Of course it doesnt make sense to record it as income, then deduct it, because you have still lost money for services performed. In my case it is not enough to worry about. The mechanics lein gives him the right to keep your vehicle until paid, but there is no recourse for professional services. The only other option is to go to small claims court and hope for the best. Of course then the legal expenses could be deducted as an expense.

This is a good reason why affiliates should be paid ON TIME!

I suspect that most people here do business on the Cash Basis. In my case, before I started Affiliate Marketing, I already had an S-Corporation set up and doing business, which I continued to use to receive affiliate income. Because my corporation maintains inventory, and sells items, by IRS rules I must maintain my books on an Accrual Basis. I have no choice.

Basically, this means that back in February my earnings from Cooking.com were credited to an Income Account, and the Accounts Receivable Account was debited. When and if EComWorks finally comes through with the payment, the Accounts Receivable account will be credited and the Checking Account will be debited.

If I never get paid, then I will have a valid basis for writing off the debt because I recognized the income on the books back in February.

Quote Originally Posted by LinkShare Moderator

Kelli
    Another week ... and still waiting for the answer.

ABW Ambassador LinkShare Moderator's Avatar
    I've confirmed that cooking.com has paid EcomWorks. I am still working to confirm the affiliate payment date with Ecomworks.

Kelli

Thank you, Kelli. I suspected that the problem was totally with Ecomworks. Doesn't say much for them, if they've received payment from the merchant, and yet more than six months have gone by and they still haven't paid affiliates.

She didn't say when EComWorks received payment from Cooking.com. That certainly may be where the fault lies, but let's not jump to conclusions.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

You may be right, but I'd still be interested in knowing when EComWorks actually plans to cut a check since it has been confirmed that they've been paid by Cooking.com. Do you think there is any chance it will be before the end of 2005?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast