Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Arrow Origin of Nicknames
    "A nickname is a short, clever, cute, derogatory, or otherwise substitute name for a person or thing's real name (for example, Nick is short for Nicholas)..." [Wikipedia]

Some of the nicknames here are pretty straightforward, while others - funny; some - strange, while others - real cute... Wouldn't it be interesting to find out the origin of some of them? For instance: what are those characters in the end of Herb ԿԬ or why does Gu4rdian have that 4 in the middle? Maybe it's just me, but I just think some of nicknames around here may have a fascinating story behind them... I see some striving for leading, while others - for guidance, some - for self-expression, others - for self-improvement... I believe, it'd be fun to "get to know others better" in this way too.

Finally, there's a contest for the coolest avatar running now. Why not start one for the coolest nickname too?!

Geno

ABW Ambassador
    Count one vote for Poopie Nubert

Quote Originally Posted by webworker
    Count one vote for Poopie Nubert
    That definitely is a good one...

Well, the story of my nick is a bit twisted.

Back about 8 years ago, I started chatting on the IRC network Undernet under the nick "Gandalf" or "Gandalf2" (when the first one was already taken). As you all know now, "Gandalf" is one of the main character of the multiple stories of J.R.R. Tolkien. After a year or two, I was tired of fighting for my nick, and, about in the same time, I discovered a band named "Blind Guardian" who was signing songs (on a few albums) about all the Tolkien's stuff.

So, I decided to take "Guardian" as my nickname, but, *ho, what a surprise* it was already taken. So, I tried a few variables, like "Keeper" or, sometimes "DjKeeper" (yes, I'm ashamed now). Nothing was fitting my taste, so, I just decided to do like the "h4x0rz" with whom I was chatting on a regular basis and added a "1337" style to my previous nick "Guardian" and it became "Gu4rd|an" (yes, most of the boards, and php in general, don't like the "|" so I just skip it most of the time).

And, now, I have this nick from about 6 years ago and I never changed, I still loves Blind Guardian and I think it fits my personality (I'm a pain in the butt, just like every guardian ).

And that's probably one of the longest text I've ever written completely in English, I just hope my structure is not too bad

Fred

Cool story, Fred!

Geno

Thanks, Geno

As I said, I hope the structure of my phrases are not too bad. I usually write in French and then translate it but I've decided to write directly in English

A Real *and* Darn Cool Member! lstolze's Avatar
    Oh the days of a cool nick... I stupidly chose the first initial of my real life nick and my last name - thus the LStolze. I ALWAYS went by Mistress-Liriel, and would love to change my nick on here, but alas, there is no way to do that without starting a new account.
    ~Lisa - Brilliant Mastermind, or Nut? You decide!

Quote Originally Posted by lstolze
    Oh the days of a cool nick... I stupidly chose the first initial of my real life nick and my last name - thus the LStolze. I ALWAYS went by Mistress-Liriel, and would love to change my nick on here, but alas, there is no way to do that without starting a new account.
    Are you sure? Talk to Haiko!

Geno

Outsourced Program Manager e-Gazer's Avatar
    I'll make this short. I am the AM for Rugman.com and thought it best if I stayed away from "self-expression" to put my best face forward for the sake of my company's image.

And so, I am RugmanAM on ABW and just plain ol' Liz to those who know me.

Not a very interesting story... but such is life.

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    As I said, I hope the structure of my phrases are not too bad. I usually write in French and then translate it but I've decided to write directly in English ~Gu4rdian
    Actually, this was much easier to understand than most of your other posts! Maybe because you *weren't* looking at the French sentence structure while doing the English version

Some of the nicknames here are pretty straightforward, while others - funny; some - strange, while others - real cute... Wouldn't it be interesting to find out the origin of some of them?~Geno
    My nick and avatar go together.

Years ago, I wrote a story about another planet. (That's where the Alien comes from.)

Of course, I put myself in it (as the main character). I start out as a Rebel, but end up taking over the government, and becoming the ruler. On that planet, the dictator's title is Leader. So that's where the Leader comes from. It goes with the office.

Yep, the place is a dictatorship (a capitalistic dictatorship...an apparent rarity on Earth...). I wasn't about to have my character go through a bunch of hash only to end up having to argue with a Legislature, and then get term-limited after 8 years!!

Plus, I had no desire to just write a fictionalized version of US History...(ie, have big war, throw out king, make democracy).

After all this time--I wrote it long before I started posting here--I've pretty much internalized the 'nick' as my name. I've almost signed it on checks a few times...
    There is no knowledge that is not power. ~Hemingway

Quote Originally Posted by RugmanAM
    Not a very interesting story...
    My story isn't very interesting, Liz. "Geno" for Eugene-Gene-Geno chain (Eugene being the English version of my Russian full name Evgenii). "RussianLegacy" for RussianLegacy.com

Quote Originally Posted by RugmanAM
    ...but such is life.
    C'mon!!! What do I hear?! And from you?!?!

Geno

ABW Ambassador
    evgenios in other words correct evgenii? ;-)

mine are the initials from name middle name and last name... so its KGP or KGB thats the question ehehe

Quote Originally Posted by KGP
    evgenios in other words correct evgenii? ;-)
    KGP, I am Russian, remember? Have nothing to do with Greeks. Why Evgenios?! It's Evenii or Evgeny!

Quote Originally Posted by KGP
    mine are the initials from name middle name and last name... so its KGP or KGB thats the question ehehe
    KGB would've been a cool one...

Geno

ABW Ambassador
    well your name comes from the greek name evgenios ;-)

next time when i find any of the greek-arian-style websites i will send it to you...they prove that everything came from greece.... language, words anything you can imagine.... we only imported smart with plenty of know-how aliens...who of course came to us greeks to "transfer" everything they knew... hehehehehehehhe -its the kind of websites you dont wether to laugh or cry about-

Quote Originally Posted by Leader
    Actually, this was much easier to understand than most of your other posts! Maybe because you *weren't* looking at the French sentence structure while doing the English version
    Yeah, you're probably right. I really like English, I kinda learned it by myself (English at school sucks here).

Quote Originally Posted by Leader
    I've almost signed it on checks a few times...
    Now THAT I can understand, I've had exactly the same problem

Mine is simple. A long, long time ago someone read my name the wrong way around.
    It stuck.

I got my nickname in karate class. An over-confident 18 yr old newbie student was quite surprised after a short sparring session with an old fart - me. He started calling me "da erninator" and the name stuck.
    ~Ernie

My best friend is a gay man and I used to go online and chat with him and his friends in a local gay chat room (I'm a married mom of 3 and not gay ) I had some girlie nickname, and most of the guys thought I was a guy. The name Lola was given by them! Guess I walk like a women and talk like a man That was 10 years ago, and most of my friends still call me Lola

Noth is short for the real estate company I work for. If you live in the Rochester area, you know who it is...

I was checking my stats in CJ while I was subscribing on ABW, and this nickname pumped up lol. (pumped up? Did I just invented an expression? Anyway. I know what you feel G4rd|an!)

What I find odd is that nicknames in some Eastern European countries are longer than the real name. Been there numerous times and find it bizarre that they take pleasure in lengthening every name. So Ola becomes Olusia and Ewa becomes Ewcia. Surely the whole point of having a nickname is to shorten it? LOL

My nickname is the first 3 letters of my first name and the first 3 letters of my last name, which makes "Matlok". As everybody knows the series Matlock , I decided to use Matlok (without the letter "c") as my nickname. Funny that I've never seen one episode of Matlock

well what the heck...

I'm My2cents... cuz my wife say I offer "my2cents" (opinion) even when it's not wanted..

She says i over load her... maybe that's why she just moved 2500 miles away...to be closer to mommy?

Joe
    ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    that's my2cents, 'cuz I'm a legend in my own mind....

Quote Originally Posted by Azam.com
    What I find odd is that nicknames in some Eastern European countries are longer than the real name. Been there numerous times and find it bizarre that they take pleasure in lengthening every name. So Ola becomes Olusia and Ewa becomes Ewcia. Surely the whole point of having a nickname is to shorten it? LOL
    Not familiar with the two names you've mentioned, but more than likely these are not nicknames, but diminutive forms of nicknames (not names). Say, in Russian we have a name similar to Ola - Ol'ga. Nickname for that would be Olya. But when you want to call someone affectionately or it's a baby girl you're talking about, you'd more than likely use Olen'ka or Olyusha (just as you would call Bill - Billy; also longer in spelling, but more tender). Nicknames, on the other hand, always do tend to be shorter than full names (Robert -> Bob or Anastasia -> Nastya)

Geno

Marketing Mistress Lectrickitty's Avatar
    I made up my own nick name. I originally tried to use electric kitty, but it was already in use when I tried to use it so I dropped the e and became lectric-kitty, then took out the - and I've been lectrickitty ever since. My avatar is a cat walking on a high wire getting an electric buzz.
    [color=blue]"Those who give up their freedom for a little security deserve neither freedom nor security" - Benjamin Franklin[/color]

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast