Teacher Scott
    So I went and did it... I got myself a *gasp* j*b! I'm going to be teaching English to 1st through 4th graders starting tomorrow. It's a part time gig at only 12 hours/week. I'm excited! This will give me an opportunity to get my duff off the couch every so often. Plus I can practice up on my Chinese as I'll be out in the community regularly. This is my first teaching job and have absolutely no experience, so wish me luck!! Any tips or advice will be appreciated.

Thank you!
    - Scott
    Hatred stirs up strife, But love covers all transgressions.

Wow Scott, congratulations!

My youngest just got into first grade (International School here). This is a great age for a teacher as the kids believe practically everything the teacher says. Keep it playful, kids have a rather short attention span, or you can 'loose' them easily.

You will also be amazed how fast particularly the younger ones pick it up if they have fun.

Good luck, Frank

PS: strange, somehow 'Kindergarden Cop' with Arnie comes to mind...
    [URL=http://www.golfbeginnerguide.com/]Golf Beginner Guide[/URL] ; [URL=http://www.ladygolfersguide.com/]Lady Golfers Guide[/URL]

very cool. I've always had a dream in the back of my mind to teach. Maybe someday.

Remember though...
    "foreach", "array_push", and "mysql_fetch_object" aren't really English.

Troll Killer and best Snooper!
    I decide when the pigs fly!
    Congrats, Scott!

I worked as a substitute teacher for a little while, so I can tell you about crowd control, but not much about teaching!

As far as discipline goes, be clear, consistent and fair. As far as teaching goes if you can convey your own excitement about the subject the kids will enjoy it and absorb it more. Remember that there are different learning types (visual, auditory and kinetic) and try to incorporate different ways of teaching to accommodate those types.

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    Talking
    So I went and did it... I got myself a *gasp* j*b!
    I suppose I should say "My Condolences," like I usually do when empl*yment befalls someone, rather than taking the wide open opportunity to gloat. But in your case, I won't.

Have fun WORKING, muaa haa haa!!! And with lil brats, too. I could hardly have dreamed up a more horrid torture outside of the manufacturing sphere.

Gives me even more appreciation for my "thin" Empire, made of sales pages w/o distractions, which has steadfastly kept me out of any such thing as empl*yment. Next time I don't want to bother updating, I'll just think of you, trying to tame those 2-legged zoo animals!! That'll be motivation enough...
    There is no knowledge that is not power. ~Hemingway

Senior Affiliate Manager AMWSO James - AMWSO's Avatar
    I taught in Bangkok, Thailand for 5 years. I started off teaching kids (even as young as kindergarten) and that was the hardest work I've ever had to do. Honestly, if you doubled or trebled my current salary it'd still be a very short conversation. However, that gave me the experience and the motivation to move on...

Try to get in to the corporate English/business skills development training programs once you've got some experience behind you. For 4 years I was basically doing that...Groups of managers from ExxonMobil, Philips, Shell etc were infitely more peaceful than the horrid 'anklebiters'. Although they had their moments...! I know there's a BIG market in China for this especially in Shiang Hai/Beijing. I was going to set up a training company a while back. But then I found internet marketing...

Good luck!

I salute you!
    James D. Nardell
    AMWSO.com Affiliate Management Team
    email: James.Nardell [@] AMWSO.com
    Phone: (805) 624-5669
    IM - Google/Skype: JamesNardell
    iolo technologies | Paychex | Personal VCard Website

Senior Affiliate Manager AMWSO James - AMWSO's Avatar
    A lot of the AMWSO boys have done some teaching in Bangkok at one time or another, so there's hope for you yet!
    James D. Nardell
    AMWSO.com Affiliate Management Team
    email: James.Nardell [@] AMWSO.com
    Phone: (805) 624-5669
    IM - Google/Skype: JamesNardell
    iolo technologies | Paychex | Personal VCard Website

Thank you to those who support me! I love children and hope to get better at interacting and talking to them. This gives my hands a break for a couple hours a day and gets me out and about. I've spent 10-14 hours a day typing for the past 8 months and it's about time I take a well deserved break!!

My youngest just got into first grade (International School here). This is a great age for a teacher as the kids believe practically everything the teacher says. Keep it playful, kids have a rather short attention span, or you can 'loose' them easily.
    Great to hear! This will be a real experience and I hope to learn a thing or two from it.

There's always plenty of time to build my online fortune and it'll still remain my focus, but this will give me a chance to experience the real world.

- Scott
    Hatred stirs up strife, But love covers all transgressions.

OHHHH YEAH!!!!

*Thinks* Does 'Duffman' know proper grammar? HMMM
    Continued Success,

Haiko
    The secret of success is constancy of purpose ~ Disraeli

I'm so sorry.

Well, at least, you may not hate it too much.

Watch out for the head lice. When you work in that kind of a setting, it is almost impossible to escape and get rid of them. And, take your vitamins every single day to strength your immune system!

Best wishes in all your endevors. I hope the rewards are worth it.
    Last edited by SSanf; August 30th, 2005 at 11:07 AM.
    Comments are opinion unless otherwise noted. Remember, pillage first. Then burn. Half of all people in the world have IQs under 100. You best learn to trust ol' SSanf!

11. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread