Would this make you buy?
    Was doing some research on Google and saw a paid ad claiming their affiliate program makes millions and "The rest are useless". Obviously I had to take a look. They sell an ebook, of course, and have a banner on their page for their affiliates to use. The banner is an animated one and one of the frames states "I just bought an island. So screw you, I'm better than you are."

Do you think people click on this banner and, if so, why? Would they click out of curiosity, respect for the person who "just bought an island" or because they want to give their money to someone who just said "screw you"?
    Greg Rice Affiliate Program Management
    www.gocmc.com info(AT)gocmc.com | 330-259-1223

Join us! - MiNeeds.com | DiscountCandleShop/CheeseSupply | Feng Shui Plaza

Outsourced Program Manager e-Gazer's Avatar
    Cool Respect your target market
    Almost sounds like it could be a hoax or a joke website someone threw together just to see what would happen.

Who knows...? I believe that no matter what you put on the web SOMEONE will click to see it, somewhere, at some time. Whether or not something like that would make the guy who owns the site rich or not is another question... it doesn't sound to me like what he's doing would be very successful.

I distinctly remember my prof in Consumer Behavior 101 saying "Always respect your target market like you would a friend or family member - never insult them or their intelligence, or you will fail."

I believe the site in question breaks all those rules especially with the "screw you" bit. I can't believe anyone would call that effective advertising.

If anyone's clicking on it, it's likely for the same reason you did. Out of sheer curiosity.

Cheers,

Senior Affiliate Manager AMWSO James - AMWSO's Avatar
    Deary me...That is somewhat over the top...I've seen Google Ads using some other interesting psychology i.e. 'don't click here' or 'don't buy XXX' or 'product x is lousy'. Apparently it works.

Check out this link: http://www.marketingexperiments.com/...om:80/see/1114

Or this link: http://www.marketingexperiments.com/see/1114

This Web site is a great (free) resource, and I trust their data.
    James D. Nardell
    AMWSO.com Affiliate Management Team
    email: James.Nardell [@] AMWSO.com
    Phone: (805) 624-5669
    IM - Google/Skype: JamesNardell
    iolo technologies | Paychex | Personal VCard Website

Bleieve it or not, they have an affiliate program (they claim with Clickbank).

Outsourced Program Manager e-Gazer's Avatar
    Come to think of it, it could actually work with a certain type of target market.

For example, in regard to 'get rich quick' schemes... those looking to get rich overnight and who fall for those "get rich stuffing envelopes" scams and that sort of thing, generally fall into a certain type of personality profile.

Maybe that particular type of target market is responsive to insults? LOL

Sounds bizarre, but stranger things have happened...

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    It sounds like a test for the place Rick K. featured in this thread. (MarketingSecrets)

They use real sites, and real programs, to test various campaigns and methods. An "over the top" option such as that has appeared in their reports before.

I remember an AdWords clickthrough test with similar stuff, and for some products it did indeed get a lot more clicks than others. But, now that I think of it a bit, I vaguely remember that more standard ads got more actual ROI. It's been a while since I read the report, so I'm not quite sure which of about 4 tested "angles" had the best ROI...

But, if it had said that the insulted people had actually bought more, I almost certainly would have remembered *that* kind of a result! So I'm 99% certain that the insult group didn't buy the most, even though for some products they clicked a lot.
    There is no knowledge that is not power. ~Hemingway

Some good reading there. The banner was too obnoxious to be serious so maybe it was a test.

8. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread