Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Life is Hard with the New Google Adwords
    Is anybody else finding it a tough going with the new adwords system. I am. I missed setting up a new campaign where all my keywords are only $0.05. It burns my pocket these days. Imagine in order to get a word active I have to fork out $5.00 dollars. I carnt wait for some guru to discover a method to lower these cost. I guess google is aiming for the high Ad-rollers. So if anyone can post links with tips, ideas, articles or newsletters that really explains how to work with the new expensive adwords. Just tell us how to get around.
    [URL=]http://www.intelefone.net/voipvincent[/URL]

Hi Vincyheat,

Sounds pretty rough... Have you read all the info that google has on their site about it?
    Last edited by HumbleFish; August 30th, 2005 at 01:06 PM. Reason: spelling

ABW Ambassador
    There's no workaround. Whatever Google says is the minimum for any given keyword, you're going to have to pay if you want it to show. The only thing you can do is try to find cheaper or more targetted keywords.

Yes, it is annoying
    I've had several weird experiences, and some advice.

A weird experience: one day last week, several keyword phrases were made inactive and the minimum bid was $5 -- for a term that was active at 5 cents the day before. I left the bid at 5 cents, and the very next day the keyword was active again and drawing clicks at 5 cents. (My own name is still priced at 40 cents a click, which is more than I'm willing to pay.)

First, the minimum bids change often, and they seem to pop all over the place. Campaigns appear to go inactive, then become active again. When I launch a campaign at 3 cents per click (and I often do), Google would come back and demand 4 cents or 5 cents for certain keywords -- then when I check the next day, they are all inactive with a minimum bid of 10 cents, and I raise the bids where it's appropriate; then the following day, they are inactive again, seeking 20 cents. If I don't respond by raising my bid to 20 cents, then the next day many of those terms become active again at 10 cents. My strategy is to mostly IGNORE the minimum bid quotes and just put in the bid I am willing to pay, based on my performance criteria and test results.

Second, the new system requires LOTS of attention, and there is no way to just say "show me all keywords that are inactive so I can modify them" -- you must do it ad group by ad group, campaign by campaign. And ten minutes after you've adjusted all your campaigns, dozens of your best keywords might go inactive.

Third, I am wasting a lot of time on requesting exceptions to inappropriate "editorial rules," which seem to be poorly implemented. One of my ads contained the number 1,000 (as part of a product title) and the system informed me that this was a "prohibited superlative" -- I had to request an exception. I've had to request dozens of exceptions in circumstances that seem ridiculous; of course, I've also accepted some of these enforcements as either reasonable editorial decisions or "not worth fighting."

Fourth, I'm annoyed at the "malformed URL" message when I am creating unique URLs for each keyword. When you are entering the URL along with the ad text, you have to EXCLUDE the "http://" but then when you are entering an override URL for a keyword, you have to INCLUDE the "http://" -- this has been really frustrating at times.

And most important, I am horribly annoyed at the lack of any kind of "bulk submission" tool to submit new ads and keywords. Instead, I must manually cut and paste each line of the ad, each URL, and each block of keywords with bid amounts and URLs. I really don't want to have to learn the API and write code -- surely someone ought to have some scripts or software solutions available by now?

Lite On The Do, Heavy On The Nuts Donuts's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TrustNo1
    There's no workaround. Whatever Google says is the minimum for any given keyword, you're going to have to pay if you want it to show. The only thing you can do is try to find cheaper or more targetted keywords.
    Or optimize your ad.

Quote Originally Posted by tim-store.com
    My strategy is to mostly IGNORE the minimum bid quotes and just put in the bid I am willing to pay, based on my performance criteria and test results.
    Sound strategy, but don't forget to combine it with pursuit of max real (ie keyword focused and appropriate) CTR.

Some of this "inactive" stuff is totally loopy, unless I have missed something.

I have had several things disabled and told to raise from 0.10 to 0.17 yet when I look at the cost per click I am around 0.04

I have seent this both on google.com (costs in USD) and google.co.uk (cost in gbp)

I am not convinced that AdWords are giving me any sales so may just turn off all my AdWords and turn them back on in November when people are back in buying mode.

Actually I think I have missed something as looking at the stats again Google is trying to get me to bid enough to be pos. 1 when I was getting a good clickthorugh rate (say 5%) on average pos. of 1.3 when it disabled me so i guess that is how they expect to raise revenue.

Given that they are now beholden to shareholders they will be under increasing pressure to raise revenue and profitablilty and they will squeeze the easier targets first. No more nice guy google.

Les

ABW Ambassador
    "Or optimize your ad."

How does optimizing your ad turn a $5 click into a 0.05 click.

Through the Magic of CTR. There's nothing more important in adwords. And there's nothing within adwords more misunderstood by affiliates.

The change from "disabling regardless of bid" of your low CTR / bid keyword to "inactive, but bid this and we'll let you in" didn't change the importance of CTR at all - but it does let deep pockets avoid the previous situation (where deep pockets = deep margins <> affiliates). So Affs are left exactly where they were before - improve your CTR.

Say it with me.... C...T...R...

ABW Ambassador
    Say with me. If your keyword doesn't show there is no chance for CTR. We must be talking about different things.

I've been trying to understand the CTR concept and this is what I've come to understand:

You write compelling enough copy raise your bid to get your keyword shown and get a high enough CTR and then you can back down your bids while keeping your postion?

I don't have deep enough pockets or time right now to experiment with it.

Is this correct or am I still not understanding this?
    Suz~~GearGirl~~

Say with me. If your keyword doesn't show there is no chance for CTR. We must be talking about different things.
    TN1, if this were true, G would never give any new keyword any impressions because it's historic CTR would be = 0.

https://adwords.google.com/support/b...1377&topic=114

Quote Originally Posted by Julius
    how in the world does it determine if your ad has good enough CTR or not if it only lets in 5 impressions?
    it looks at your ad to keyword specificity
    it looks at your track record of ctr
    it looks at how often you log into your account
    it looks at it's estimates of the relevancy of your ads
    it looks at your history to see if you've improved over time
    it looks at the number of ads you have and if you have auto-opt enabled
    it looks at whether you use the dynamic insertion tool
    it looks to see of your ads are materially simlar to other ads you and others have tried
    it looks at the number of keywords you try and use in a single ad group
    it looks to see the degree of closeness in your themed ad groups keywords
    it looks at whether you've got a bridge to an MCC
    it looks how often you use your keyword in the ad text and synonyms as well
    it looks at match type - broad, phrase, exact
    it looks at how many negative keywords you've added to the particular group and whether you've made them campaign wide

shall i go on?

CTR is the affiliate's opportunity to compete with the big guys!

Now say it with me... C... T... R...

ABW Ambassador
    Damn Donuts, lol. If Google set a minimum for a keyword at $5 minimum to activate, and you put 5 cents, it ain't going to show.

Quote Originally Posted by suzigeek
    I've been trying to understand the CTR concept and this is what I've come to understand:

You write compelling enough copy raise your bid to get your keyword shown and get a high enough CTR and then you can back down your bids while keeping your postion?

I don't have deep enough pockets or time right now to experiment with it.

Is this correct or am I still not understanding this?
    I say base your bid on your ROI and nothing else.
    I've also found no need to monkey around with overspending or underspending (from an ROI perspective) to get a history or whatever. I typically leave my bids almost competely static.
    I never bid for position either, but you have your own goals. Mine is ROI only - not full spend or branding spend or anything else - just ROI.
    And I spend >95% of my time focusing on improving your CTR (regardless of what I bid).

And compelling ad copy is not the only path to maximizing your CTR, although it is a main one.

Damn Donuts, lol. If Google set a minimum for a keyword at $5 minimum to activate, and you put 5 cents, it ain't going to show.
    This is only true if you choose to do nothing else to your account. You can raise the bid as it suggests OR you can raise the other contributing factors that G estimates and calculates as contributors to the quality score.

Like me, G gets tired of explaining this to people - so they changed how they tell you you're not up to snuff. It used to be insulting to be told you didn't meet the performance reqs when you got disabled - now they just tell you you don't have enough money to play.

You seem to be assuming G is setting some kind of bid limit everyone must meet - this is not the case. G is telling you what you must bid, for your current ads, ad groups and other account details AND just for this one particular keyword in order for it's (I say again - IT'S) quality score to meet the min (Quality Score) reqs to show.

ABW Ambassador
    Um no. I have a campaign going with lots of keywords and a high CTR. There are going to be some keywords where bidding the minimum, no matter how great your ad, where they're just no going to see the light of day.

Whether you think that you can, or that you can't, you are usually right.
    ~Henry Ford

ABW Ambassador
    Well there you go Vincyheat. Just repeat "I think i can" over and over again and those keywords Google says you need to bid $5 to activate will magically start showing for 5 cents. You just gotta believe.

OY YOY

Thanks Donuts for "clues"--I have to digest...ppfffffffffffttttttttt...oh YES!!!
    Thank You!!
    Suz~~GearGirl~~

Nope, you just gotta believe that there's more than the bid amount that contributes to the quality score. And believe that a little effort might yield a little results.

But hey, to each his own. TrustNo1 is an authoritative source in my mind and I'm not being sarcastic. So I'll yield the public floor on this one - I wouldn't mind if everyone sided with TN1 on this - makes no difference to me. My CTR and I will however, walk away smugly and we won't change a thang that we're doing.

Good luck to you all.

Sorry Donuts if you took my reply the wrong way. I just meant there is so much to digest.

I can barely wrap my brain around it.
    I really do appreciate the information you posted
    Suz~~GearGirl~~

You both have valid points, really. There are other factors, but the CTR appears to be the most important one. And you can't get that CTR until you cough up the money they want. Sometimes the minimum bids don't make sense.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

Quote Originally Posted by suzigeek
    Sorry Donuts if you took my reply the wrong way.
    Not at all - I was replying to TrustNo1.

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelColey
    And you can't get that CTR until you cough up the money they want.
    Again, we'll agree to differ here. You and TrustNo1 seem to accept the statement above as an immutable fact while I see it as a false statement because it omits the other things you can do (besides just raising your bid) to resume an inactive state keyword.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast