*MERCHANT* *admits* tracking affected !!
    Just got an email,

Hello Affiliate,

In response to the tracking outage that affected the Ameriquest program between the dates of August 3, 5:22 PM PST to August 6, 2005, 10:45 AM PST Commission Junction has credited your account to compensate for any likely missed transactions during this period. This compensation was based on your historical data (clicks and conversion rate) for Ameriquest and was added to your account on August 11, 2005 if your total traffic and conversion rate warranted a payout. If you believe that your compensation wasn’t properly calculated please respond and we will look into your question.

Regards,
    Ameriquest Affiliate Marketing Team

See tracking is affected sometimes !!

Unrelated,

I am seeing 7 hour reporting delay,

08-30-2005 08:14 PDT / 08-30-2005 13:06 PDT

They don't have the resources to keep up with Reporting and Payroll at the same time.. Add TRACKING to that and you get an OVERLOAD... Of COURSE tracking is affected and always has been...

BUT - this came from the: "Ameriquest Affiliate Marketing Team" not directly from CJ.. So to say that "CJ ADMITS that tracking is affected" is not totally 100% correct.. CJ will just say that it had nothing to do with them and that THEIR tracking is never affected... (even though we all know it's not a perfect world)

Isn't it CJ that keeps up the tracking part?

Who cares if it is their responsibility and they are the ones supposed to do it? If it is wrong, it ain't on account of them! If y'all don't believe me, ask Todd! Anyways, it wasn't affected just because the merchant says it was and wants to do the right thing. It is NEVER affected. Don't ya'll know nothin'? I gotta tell you every thing?
    Comments are opinion unless otherwise noted. Remember, pillage first. Then burn. Half of all people in the world have IQs under 100. You best learn to trust ol' SSanf!

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by holyearth
    Isn't it CJ that keeps up the tracking part?
    It's two-part.
    There's a "tracking code" on the merchant's side, that sends the pertinent data (transaction amount, type, etc.) to CJ.

Then CJ has to get the data, and process it.

So, if only one merchant is affected, it could indeed be that the merchant messed up their tracking code. The merchant, or their tech dept (if they're big enough to have one) does have to do things like figure out how to pass the Transaction Amount variable into the code, and then properly implement that. My experience is with SAS's system, but I'd think this part would be the same at CJ--they can't just know the amounts "by osmosis..."

Once a merchant has their code properly set up, it should keep sending the data properly, but some people (merchants in this case) seem to have a compulsion to mess with their own sites for various reasons.

CJ will just say that it had nothing to do with them and that THEIR tracking is never affected... (even though we all know it's not a perfect world)
    When only one merchant comes up, it does seem to be on the merchant's side. But I can't buy the *never* affected thing, either. Murphy's Law happens.
    There is no knowledge that is not power. ~Hemingway

Okeey-Dokkey

unrelated, i'm still seeing 5-7 hr delays

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by holyearth
    Okeey-Dokkey

unrelated, i'm still seeing 5-7 hr delays
    Yeah, something's screwy...
    There is no knowledge that is not power. ~Hemingway

ABW Ambassador
    You're seeing 5-7 hr. delays on regular merchants or ebay? Today i'm seeing the regular 1.5 hr. give or take delays except for ebay that's always done it's own thing.

ebay 5-7 hrs delay, for the dimes....

You guys are forgetting about batch merchants.

eBay delays are going to be longer than real-time merchants because they batch.

Only the real-time merchants work like Leader described. With real-time merchants, CJ sets the cookie on their side and a CJ tracking image on the confirmation page (in conjunction with the CJ cookie) triggers tracking of the sale. That's pretty foolproof, as long as merchants don't mess with the tracking image. With batch merchants, the merchant sets the cookie on their end, tracks the sales, batches them, and sends them back to CJ on a regular basis. There's far more opportunity for problems that affect tracking on the merchant's side with that.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

Last year, I had someone at CJ AAQ tell me that things happen sometimes and transactions/sales DO GET LOST. I have no problem with that, I understand that from time to time things are going to happen. I can't do anything about that, and neither can CJ. It will happen.

That said, and realizing it's impossible to be perfect, I have no problem with a sale not tracking from time to time. But if there's an issue that affects a greater number, and if that issue is inherent to system design or capabilities, then I do have a problem with that.

I understand that tracking is one system, and the reporting is another, but it seems to me if one of them is unstable, it will cause a domino effect which could allow errors to be made. I'm not an expert, but it doesn't make sense that one system at CJ could be basically foolproof, while another is problematic.

At any rate, if that is what's happening, it needs to be addressed. And CJ needs to stop making its merchants and affiliates BETA test new things - testing needs to be done beforehand and separately and the bugs worked out BEFORE it's rolled out!

The tracking outage above was specific to Ameriquest. There was a problem on their end and we worked with them to (a) correct the problem and (b) to credit publihers for the missing txns. This issue had nothing to do with Commission Junction's tracking.
    Todd Crawford
    Co-Founder, Impact Radius

Give me a minute before I post again

See!!

I TOLD YA SO!!

CJ has no responsibility to ensure that all the merchants have all their links working properly all the time just because it is their job to see that tracking works right. But, if they ain't, CJ will work with a merchant who wants to do the right thing. How very nice of them.
    Comments are opinion unless otherwise noted. Remember, pillage first. Then burn. Half of all people in the world have IQs under 100. You best learn to trust ol' SSanf!

ABW Ambassador
    Todd how many other merchants are still having problems, how many are you working with?

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelColey
    With real-time merchants, CJ sets the cookie on their side and a CJ tracking image on the confirmation page (in conjunction with the CJ cookie) triggers tracking of the sale. That's pretty foolproof, as long as merchants don't mess with the tracking image.
    That's worrisome. A common privacy setting is to turn off loading images (and hence cookies) from a site that's different from the one you're viewing. Wouldn't that cause an order not to track?
    Tim
    consultant by day, affiliate by night

CJ has indeed created the perfect world.. nothing ever goes wrong..

QUOTE - Andy - "That said, and realizing it's impossible to be perfect, I have no problem with a sale not tracking from time to time. But if there's an issue that affects a greater number, and if that issue is inherent to system design or capabilities, then I do have a problem with that."

Exactly...

Quote Originally Posted by infoTim
    That's worrisome. A common privacy setting is to turn off loading images (and hence cookies) from a site that's different from the one you're viewing. Wouldn't that cause an order not to track?
    Correct. Or, if there's an Internet problem that prevents the user from reaching the tracking server.

I don't believe that either situation is "common". Do they happen? Sure. Do they happen frequently? No. Having cookies deleted or having a parasite overwrite cookies is a more frequent problem.

No tracking system is perfect. Some percent of sales will always be missed. Network cookies and sale tracking images are about as reliable as any other form of tracking.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

ABW Ambassador
    Quote Originally Posted by SSanf
    See!!

I TOLD YA SO!!

CJ has no responsibility to ensure that all the merchants have all their links working properly all the time just because it is their job to see that tracking works right. But, if they ain't, CJ will work with a merchant who wants to do the right thing. How very nice of them.

Huh?

Can a sharesale merchant not track for a bit? Sure. Can a linkshare? Sure. So can you tell us so about those as well?

I am sure ameriquest's cut to CJ far outweighs its base payment, so to say CJ has not interest to make sure that tracking is working, is illogical.

Chet

I've changed the title of this thread so that it accurately reflects that it was a merchant tracking problem.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelColey
    I've changed the title of this thread so that it accurately reflects that it was a merchant tracking problem.
    Thank you - I wanted to do this but thought someone would make a big deal of it (it's always something).
    Todd Crawford
    Co-Founder, Impact Radius

Give me a minute before I post again

Boy, Todd got that one right. It's always something!

24. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread