HELP: new domains & host
    Background
    For the past 18 months I've been operating my site with a .net domain. Last week I acquired the .com name after the owner let it expire. I also bought the .org and .info, which were both available.

Issue I
    I want to use the .com as my primary site and have each of the other domains send customers to the .com. How do I transfer my site to the .com? How do I set up the other domains to point to .com? Could I use my registrar's redirect function or is there a better way? Do I need to pay for each domain to be hosted or could I get away with only hosting one domain?

Issue II
    I also want to move to a new host. Should I set up the .com with the new host and when it's working properly cancel the .net host? What's the best way to transfer hosts?

Issue III
    My site ranks well with msn and yahoo searches - usually #1 for my keywords. It doesn't rank well with google. How will changing from .net to .com affect my search rankings? Will I be starting from scratch as if it's a new site or will my current rankings carry over to my new domain?

Any advice on the above or anything related would be very much appreciated. Thanks so much for any assistance!

OK --

Get a new host and point the .com to the new host..
    DO NOT Cancel the old hosting until the new one is up and running..
    You can upload the entire .net site to the new .com on the new host.
    Once the .com is LIVE.. cancel the old host and point the other domains DNS to the new one..

"I want to use the .com as my primary site and have each of the other domains send customers to the .com"

Have your hosting provider point all of those domains to the .com and no matter which one visitors come in on they will be redirected to the .com.. ( IF You are allowed to do this with the new host -- some only allow one domain per account )

"My site ranks well with msn and yahoo searches - usually #1 for my keywords. It doesn't rank well with google."

Google doesn't like affiliate sites.. period.. some will say that they are #1 and that may be true but for the most part Google thinks of our sites as very THIN AFFILIATE SITES.. so join the club..

Hope that helps...

ABW Ambassador
    It doesn't rank well with google. How will changing from .net to .com affect my search rankings? Will I be starting from scratch as if it's a new site or will my current rankings carry over to my new domain?
    If you're not ranking well with Google, chances are you may not have enough quality inbound links and/or good inbound links with appropriate anchor text.

Be VERY careful to *not* have all those domains resolve with a 200 or 302 temporary redirect. You want to have only a 301 redirect, and that can't be done by having the registrar "point" them (that's generally a 302 - you don't want that). You'll need to use Apache's mod_alias or mod_rewrite in .htaccess and permanent redirect/rewrite the other domains to the one you choose. Check with your new hosting provider for specifics on what's enabled - it's different between Apache & IIS hosting (Apache is easier).

And yes, there's a "delay factor" with Google for new sites that most people experience, so it will be like starting from scratch with a new domain, which it is. Some people report it taking up to a year to be able to get anyplace at all with new domains with Google. Some don't go through it - most do. Frankly, in your place I'd stay with the .net and redirect the .com just for type-ins, unless there's a very good reason, but it's your choice to make.

One thing you definitely want to avoid is getting caught with duplicate/mirror sites. In your place I'd move the existing site to new hosting first off and let the search engines catch up with the change first before messing around with additional domains. If there were links to the .com domain under the old owner, they *will* catch it right away.

Rule of thumb is to never, ever let the engines catch the same content on two different domain names and think you've got mirror sites up.
    Last edited by webworker; August 31st, 2005 at 04:29 AM.

4. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread