ABW Ambassador
    Losing Out on Private Offer Deals with New System
    How it's happening is that when the merchant makes a private offer to the LS account that is not the main "legal entity" - call it Site-B - it's only good for the sites associated with that secondary account name - not the main "legal entity" name - call that one Site-A.

Say we want to use this merchant's goods on Site-C, a newer site that's converting well for that line of goods. Site-C is associated with the main Site-A account and cannot take advantage of the increased commission because you can no longer add it to be associated it with the sub-account under the old Site-B. The main account did not receive the private offer.

So - in order to get the higher commission, all the links have to be changed to the sub-account under Site-B. BUT then tracking will be incorrect because it will look like the sales came from Site-B - not Site-C where they're really originating.

For this and many other reasons (like non-consolidated payments), I'm glad I never created sub-accounts on Linkshare. I run everything through a single account and sort it out with "u1=" Signature tracking if necessary.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

ABW Ambassador
    I originally opened up a second account because my password was messed up and couldn't get straightened out. Support eventually assigned a new member name and password, but by then I'd opened that second account only because I couldn't get in.

I run everything through a single account and sort it out with "u1=" Signature tracking if necessary.
    what's "u1=" ? Never heard of it.

Well, somehow I have three accounts. Two I created years ago when just investigating LS and one less than two years ago (because I forgot the first two) that I use all the time. Still, when I log in to LS, it has me in one of the earlier accounts that has not merchants in it. Duh!!!

Kelli is investigating ways they can truely combine these and I hope they do it soon. This is so frustrating and wastes my time with needless clicks.
    Ron Bechdolt | Affiliate Program Management Consultant
    7 Days A Week Marketing

"u1=" or "Signature" is basicaly LinkShare's way to track affiliate-provided data. It's typically used for rebate/incentive sites to track back to individual members, but many of us use it to track individual sites, pages, links, keywords, etc. You have to ask to have it enabled for your account at LinkShare.

CJ's uses "SID=". BeFree uses "bfinfo=". Just about every network has something like this.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

ABW Ambassador
    webworker - when a merchant makes a private offer in a sub-account, email them and let them know that you are affiliated with them through your main account (and provide the ID). My experience has been that the merchant wants you to have the offer, and will change it to your main account if necessary.

ABW Ambassador LinkShare Moderator's Avatar
    webworker,
    If I'm understanding your concerns correctly, the scenario you describe didn't result from the new channel consolidation and management system. It has always been the case for affiliates that have multiple accounts (now called channels). Affiliates have always set up and managed multiple accounts. Under the old and new system, a merchant needs to approve affiliates and extend offers at the account (now channel) level, not the legal entity level. At this point, Gr Sacc's recommendation is the best approach. If you contact the merchant, in many cases they will extend the offer to your other account(s).

That being said, you bring up a good point. We are looking at future enhancements to Athena that will provide additional consolidation features at the legal entity and channel levels.

Kelli

ABW Ambassador
    If I'm understanding your concerns correctly, the scenario you describe didn't result from the new channel consolidation and management system. It has always been the case for affiliates that have multiple accounts (now called channels).
    It did. Under the old system you could add merchants to either one, now you can't. However the offer comes in to the *username* not the channel name and this one came in to the other username, to which I can't add sites any more.

The channel thing is different from what's in the drop-down box at the top of the main interface. In fact, if you click on the second listed you get taken to different reporting altogether - so they're not 100% combined. Each still has their separate list of merchants and separate reporting.

I did write them and tell them - they re-sent the offer this morning, but again to the secondary, older membername. They *think* some sales came in from that membername, which is probably why they've made the offer, but they didn't - there aren't even any links on that site. Their sales are from a new site only 2 months old that will be *full* of their links once it's straightened out with the commission structure.

I'll write them again, maybe they'll get it right if I make it clearer - in fact I'll send them the transaction numbers to show that they're showing up for the wrong site.

Truth be told, most of my LS merchants give way shorter return days and lower commissions (by half or almost half) than comparable ones from the "other" network, so generally I'll decide based on that.

Thing is, if they're now being competitive with the percentage I might as well put them on because they convert, and convert quick (even with lousy return days).

Added:
    BTW, for making the individual links LS far surpasses others when you can go right to the merchant site and grab specifically targeted products - it helps for conversions. I wish all merchants made it available, to some extent it makes up for the lower percentages because of tighter targeting capability.
    Last edited by webworker; August 31st, 2005 at 01:23 PM.

Newbie at tooting my own horn M_Diddy's Avatar
    Why do affiliates need more than one account.....is it like a Monday Tuesday Wednesday Thursday Friday Saturday LOOOOOVE kinda thing.......Holy roller skating boogie....showing my real age here.....Still love that bounce rock skate track....kinda rocks...

Anyway...everyone seems so Shady....will the real slim shady please stand up.

Not for nothing, you open a business, you get a bank account....you should get verified.......right????

I am going over to realdoll dot com to make me my very own Athena doll...I'll take pictures for ya.....Sup LipsMenAdore.......don't type much but the name speaks volumes...gives me them goose bumps everytime.

ABW Ambassador
    >>Why do affiliates need more than one account.....

I've got two accounts because I couldn't get into my account, there was a password problem and resetting didn't work. So the second was set up - then they just redid the first, so it's been a PITA switching between two.

BUT - one reason why have multiple accounts, for those who might be concerned over it for reasons such as cross-linking, is that in case of an "audit" by a search engine if it ever happens, it's way easy to spot sites owned by the same party if they have the same affiliate IDs - even with different c-blocks, nameservers, etc.

Newbie at tooting my own horn M_Diddy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by webworker
    >>
    BUT - one reason why have multiple accounts, for those who might be concerned over it for reasons such as cross-linking, is that in case of an "audit" by a search engine if it ever happens, it's way easy to spot sites owned by the same party if they have the same affiliate IDs - even with different c-blocks, nameservers, etc.
    You know I totally didnt think about that......very good point.

But I think if the S/E's were to go that far and sandbox (I am assuming that is what you are talking about) your properties for diff urls and same ID's....maybe they would sandbox you anyways.....if it got to that point as they would be aware that you were making money on natural listings?

You never know.....the last Google update was a lil weird to begin with, I dont know......but you never really know.

My biggest confusion right now is on picking my LS Athena doll for my office.

Diddy

ABW Ambassador LinkShare Moderator's Avatar
    webworker,
    I'd like to explore your concerns further especially as it relates to the channel drop down menu and your ability to add new merchants to any existing channel, which you should be able to do. I'll PM you so we can set up a time to talk by phone, if you're open to that. I want to ensure I have a clearer understanding of your concerns.
    Kelli

ABW Ambassador
    Sure, and just to be clear I didn't post to "rag on LS" but to clear up something that's a bit of a glitch. Probably even more confusing, but here's the first occurrence of an issue over this thing explaining about the different mechants on the 2 accounts - had to dig to find it

http://forum.abestweb.com/showthread.php?t=58534

14. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread