Can Webmerge Do This?
    I have a number of datafeed-based affiliate sites and wanted to add some unique content onto each page to try and avoid content duplication penalities. If I define a table matrix of say 30 excel columns each containing 100 sentences, is it possible to have webmerge randomnly take one sentence from each of the 30 columns (in logical order) and add to a defined web template - making 30 sentences forming a unique article piece of content?

cheers,

John

Internet Cowboy
    My guess is no. I just did something similar to this. What I did is actually write paragraphs using different sentences, each in its own column. Column A might say "This widget is among the best that I have found." Column B might say "It is available in seven colors and four sizes, based on your need." Column C Might say "See the link below to order and take advantage of our free shipping offer."
    Then what I did was write each of these sentences four or five different ways, putting each similar sentence below the other one in the same column. Then paste them down your datafeed in a random order and do something like this on the page where the descreiption goes.
    [WM-Field: Text1 nolink]. [WM-Field: Text2 nolink]. [WM-Field: Text1 nolink].
    It prints my content just fine this way. Take care how you paste these down your columns and few or no pages will contain the same content.
    This took me some time to do, but once done it is done.
    My example above is a very simple one for demonstation purposes.
    I hope that helps!

Edited to say: Welcome to ABW

Quote Originally Posted by sapchild
    I have a number of datafeed-based affiliate sites and wanted to add some unique content onto each page to try and avoid content duplication penalities. If I define a table matrix of say 30 excel columns each containing 100 sentences, is it possible to have webmerge randomnly take one sentence from each of the 30 columns (in logical order) and add to a defined web template - making 30 sentences forming a unique article piece of content?

cheers,

John
    Yup, I think the short story is "not easily."

I am quite sure I won't be able to explain this easily, or so that anyone can understand it, but here goes.

One could make those random sentences, put them in the database (datafeed file). You would have to have a field name for each sentence you want to use. Here's the tricky part: have record number 1 with content (your sentence) in "field name 1," the next record would have content only in "field name 2," the next record would have content in "field name 3," and so on. Short story here, is that each record only has one of the fields with content.

The next step would be to have a WM tag in your template for each field name in the datafeed file, in other words all of the fields.

Now, when WM builds your files it will look at your template, and try to put data in each place where you have a WM tag (remember you put all of the field names in there). WebMerge should only write one of the tags though - remember you only have content in one field name for each record. The rest will be ignored by WebMerge when it writes the file. Theoretically, your end result will only show one sentence (the one for that record in the datafeed file).

<p>
    [WM Tag: sentence 1]
    [WM Tag: sentence 2]
    [WM Tag: sentence 3]
    [WM Tag: sentence 4]
    [WM Tag: sentence 5]
    [WM Tag: sentence 6]
    </p>

There are a number of snafus that could befall you however. The biggest being HTML formatting you might have to put in with each WM tag (depending on your page design). If all you have in the template for your sentences are the WM tags, then the worst you should get is whitespace for the tags WM doesn't use.

I can't explain this any better here, and probably have managed to confuse everyone - sorry.

Fred

Re:Can Webmerge do this?
    Thanks guys for the help and suggestions. I had one question though - is it possible to have Webmerge randomly select a sentence component with this conditional rule i.e. assuming we have 30 columns x 30 rows it has to select one random row from each of the 30 columns (in order) making a total of 30 components on each web page?

Thanks again,

John

Re:Can Webmerge do this?
    Just to clarify the above, if our columns are labelled from 1 to 30, I want Webmerge to randomnly select one component from column 1, then one from column 2 and so on up to column 30.

cheers,

John

6. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread