Tracking question - what would you do..
    I sent an email to merchant to ask a few questions about their program. Here is a portion of what I asked and the response I recieved back.

Some of my questions:

What is the current EPC (earnings per click) for your program?

What is the tracking method of the sales?

If it is by cookies, what is the length of the cookie?

Is there a full time Affiliate Manager?
    and their response:

To answer a few of your questions:

We track by actual sales not by click. It's 5% of each sale that is brought in by your site.

The sales are tracked by our shopping cart software and I cut checks every other month as needed.

I am the one who keeps track of the affiliates and no I don't do it full time but I do it as much as is needed.

As for the other questions I really don't have any idea since a more experienced person set up the cart initially and the affiliate programs. She would know the answers but is very busy right now and I'm having trouble contacting her to ask her these things. In general we are a small business and are very reputable and wouldn't want to do anything shady to tarnish our reputation.

I hope I've been some help. If I can get in touch with the webmaster
    this week I'll forward the rest of the anwers to you then.
    I had a few other questions for them - but the first ones about tracking confused/worried me. Are they implying that I have the customer just for that session??? Maybe I didnt phrase the questions clearly enough, but their answers really dont give me a comfortable feeling that they know what they are doing.

I would like to hear your opinions about this.

Thanks,

Kend

Internet Cowboy
    This is a merchant who doesn't get it. You are setting yourself up for failure by promoting them.

None of what he said has any flavor of fast talk or double-talk so far as I can see. He seems honest and open enough, but just isn't "down with the lingo".

I'd much rather deal with a guy like this than most of the showboaters we all know.

I'd write back to him and stress the importance of knowing the EPC figures and what the cookie duration is.

Most people are honest. I'd have implicit trust and faith in them until such a time that they may prove not to be trustworthy. Nothing ventured, nothing gained.

Unless they're the only one who can supply what you need and you have spare time on your hands to promote them, you may wish to avoid them. He doesn't understand what you're talking about and it's not his priority, apparently, to run the program "...I don't do it full time but I do it as much as is needed." Shouldn't the AM need to know these things?
    Greg Rice Affiliate Program Management
    www.gocmc.com info(AT)gocmc.com | 330-259-1223

Join us! - MiNeeds.com | DiscountCandleShop/CheeseSupply | Feng Shui Plaza

He stated that they are a small business. And that he is not the "webmaster". Just because they cannot or will not hire somebody full time to pat affiliates on the back means nothing in regard to their integrity. Their affiliate program is most likely a "built-in" option of their shopping cart software. Nothing wrong with that. Tracking sales and paying commissions is the crux of the biscuit.

I don't see anyone questioning their integrity. Joining an affiliate program is making an investment in the company. Affiliates invest their real estate, their money and invest their time. If you want to sell blue widgets on your site and you find 2 companies who offer them and have affiliate programs. Company A has an AM who actively works the program, knows what she's doing, understands the business, knows how the whole process works and, therefore, knows how to identify tracking issues and regularly looks for them. Company B thought it would be cool to have a program since they read it can increase sales, links to their site and get them more exposure. That can't, or won't, make the program a high priority, the person in charge does not understand how it works, why it works, why it doesn't work, doesn't understand any of the technical aspects of the program.

As an affiliate, I would likely choose Company A, given that the program's cookie/commissions etc. are equal and disregarding for consideration things like parasites, etc. Both companies could be totally honest and have no bad repuation at all. But, when you decide to choose a program, you decide where you will invest your time, money and resources. If you were investing money, like buying stock, into either of these companies' affiliate programs, would you invest in the company who treats it like a business and revenue generating operation or the company who does not appear to be too serious, doesn't have a grasp of what's going on and isn't dedicated to the program?

This is not about the company's integrity, it's about where you want to invest your time, resources and money. If you're only doing a hobby site and money isn't important, then which program isn't that important. If, however, you do this for a living or are serious about your merchant partners, you need to carefully choose who you work with. It all comes down to it's your time, money, and resources and you decide who you choose to partner with.
    Greg Rice Affiliate Program Management
    www.gocmc.com info(AT)gocmc.com | 330-259-1223

Join us! - MiNeeds.com | DiscountCandleShop/CheeseSupply | Feng Shui Plaza

I'm in total agreement with Greg on this one. I've dealt with many a client who didn't have a clue about affiliate marketing and frankly, that means they won't have a clue about support for their affiliate program.

I'll give you a perfect scenario...

If my affiliates contact me or another AM in our company about the possibility of a pixel issue due to transactions not showing up in reporting, it becomes a priority for us to get it checked out by tech and get back to that affiliate. Having a serious program and qualified staff allows us to find the problem, fix it and credit that affiliate for money they should have received but did not due to the tracking failure.

Now, imagine that same affiliate dealing with someone who can't get ahold of their webmaster for a week.

My affiliates depend on their payments, many as a full-time business, so being responsive is not an optional added-value to our business model, it is an essential part of our service.

This merchant may be hte nicest guy on the planet, as we all should strive to be, but if he can't offer me what I need, then he is not ready for mys business. Would you buy a boat from a mediocre boat store, even though it may sink because the store owner was a gem?
    Danay @ LunaSolMedia.com
    Global Perfomance Marketing. Global Niche Markets = Opportunity!
    HispanicYa!|MallFreebies

I dwell in possibility. ~Emily Dickinson

8. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread