Phishing or legit??
    Hi all!

Might be a phishing attempt but I am investigating it just in case. I recived the following in my email.

Wednesday, August 31, 2005 8:37 PM
    To: My email
    Subject: Fraud Attempts - Secure Your Account Now - MasterCard Secure

Dear MasterCard Customer ,

For the User Agreement, Section 9, we may immediately issue a warning, temporarily suspend, indefinitely suspend or terminate your membership and refuse to provide our services to you if we believe that your actions may cause financial loss or legal liability for you, our users or us. We may also take these actions if we are unable to verify or authenticate any information you provide to us.
    We recently noticed one or more attempts to buy products with your MasterCard Card. However, if you did not , please visit MasterCard web page as soon as possible to secure your service detailles.

This is one of many suspicious order attempts :

Order from :
    Order Number: 2000604522
    Item #: 2996804910
    Item : Samsung SPR4232 42" Flat Panel EDTV Plasma TV
    Price: $1,949.99
    Payment Method: MasterCard CREDIT CARD
    Date of Order Filed: Aug-28-05 11:49:48 PDT
    Nature of Order : Unknown/Suspicious
    Order Status : DO NOT HONOR (until further notice from the real card owner)

In the next 3 days, please visit the MasterCard web page to secure your account.

If you are not aware of this item being bought by you from , Please goto the link below and secure your account status:

Click here to secure your account (

If you received this notice and you are not the authorized service holder, please be aware that it is in violation of our policy to represent oneself as another MasterCard user. Such action may also be in violation of local, national, and/or international law. MasterCard is committed to assist law enforcement with any inquiries related to attempts to misappropriate personal information with the intent to commit fraud or theft. Information will be provided at the request of law enforcement agencies to ensure that perpetrators are prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law.

Thanks for your patience as we work together to protect your service.

Important informations from MasterCard:

You may activate now by entering your card number over our secure server. If your card issuer is participating in MasterCard SecureCode (most issuers are) youíll complete a brief activation process. Youíll verify your identity, create your MasterCard SecureCode password and youíre done.
    Once your card is activated, your card number will be recognized whenever you purchase at participating online stores. Youíll enter your password in the MasterCard SecureCode window, your identity will be verified, and the transaction will be completed. In stores that are not yet participating in MasterCard SecureCode, your MasterCard card will continue to work as usual.
    If you allready have MasterCard SecureCode activated you will need to folow this link to confirm your service:
    Click here to secure your account (

This site is directed at or made available to persons in the United States and MasterCard customers only. Products and services described, as well as associated fees, charges, interest rates, and balance requirements may differ among geographic locations. Not all products and services are offered at all locations.

Copyright © 2005 - MasterCard Corp.

I called MasterCard and they said it didnít come from them. I posted it here to see if maybe Amazon may have triggered it if it was flagged as suspicious. I did a search on the arcdll url but didnít get much info on it.

Just wondering if anyone knows if this is legit or another phishing email.

Rule of thumb: All emails that ask you verify credit card or other very personal information, like PayPal info., is a scam.

I got one a couple days ago claiming to be from eBay saying my account could be suspended if I didn't verify my information by clicking the link and entering my info. I sent an email to and attached the email.

You did the right thing, you called, which is more than I do. I send the email to the proper authority and then delete it.
    Greg Rice Affiliate Program Management info(AT) | 330-259-1223

Join us! - | DiscountCandleShop/CheeseSupply | Feng Shui Plaza

I thought so. Just that I never received one like this (from MasterCard) and it looked official (except for some spelling errors). I thought there might be a chance that amazonís processors might have triggered it.

The girl I talked to said it sounded legit (though they didnít send it from that office) and then tried to sell me some kind of purchase tracking of some kind.

Mansfield, TX
    Dear MasterCard Customer ,
    Definitely phishing. If it were from a legitimate company, they would use your name.
    Michael Coley
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

ABW Ambassador
    Registered through: Brinkster Communications Corporation
    Domain Name: ARCDLL.COM
    Created on: 29-Aug-05
    Expires on: 29-Aug-06
    Last Updated on: 29-Aug-05

Nuff said.

6. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread