Content for Directory type Sites
    I'm planning on building a directory type of site. Is it ok to just add all the sites that I want to my directory? Will this pose any problems? I have always wondered how other directory sites manage? Do they wait for someone to submit a URL before adding a site to the directory? If that is the case, then I won't be able to build a good directory and I'd be old and there might just be a few entries.

Life is Supposed to be Fun! Rexanne's Avatar
    UKJ - I would think that any web master would be happy to get a link on your (or any) site.
    Peace,

Rexanne

Rexanne.com
    Loving Everyone's Child Creates Magic

Question
    directory or link farm?

ABW Ambassador
    What Herb ԿԬ said
    Some people want any link.
    Others don't want links from low PR sites.
    Others want total control and get their links from a network of sites they own. They want to control the TEXT used to link.

Check out http://www.hyperseek.com

imho

If you do it right ....
    Quote Originally Posted by UKJ
    I'm planning on building a directory type of site. Is it ok to just add all the sites that I want to my directory? Will this pose any problems? I have always wondered how other directory sites manage? Do they wait for someone to submit a URL before adding a site to the directory? If that is the case, then I won't be able to build a good directory and I'd be old and there might just be a few entries.
    ...this is a really good way to add content to your site (or can be a stand alone way to build a site).

I use this method to add content to my sites. I have both zeus and arelis, pros and cons for both. This means I actively acquire my links (I don't worry about links back - for that I write articles and submit to article directories). The most important part is THEME, THEME, THEME. If your directory is not tightly themed, then it is spam since anybody can buy a bot and scrape links for content. I also go to the extra trouble to visit each site - trust me, you want to do this or you will end up with garbage.

And I don't mean just simply organized, I mean THEMED. Also, I don't build JUST a directory site. It started out that way but then I began adding articles and other content. That seemed to work best - a site with a variety of THEMED content.
    Blessed Be,
    White Wolf

Wink
    A lot of directories start off giving Anybody a link (as long as the directory gets a link back). Then after the directory gets a little google PR, they start playing games -i.e. charging for links, changing direct links to redirects, getting Selective? about who they link to...
    Directories like this have been springing up like weeds recently.

7. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread