Life is Supposed to be Fun! Rexanne's Avatar
    desperate for a good host
    Hi All,

I've asked about this in various other posts but still don't have a handle on it and I'm now desperate to move hosting companies.

Can anyone tell me of a really good hosting company? I don't need dedicated servers, just a FAIR price, lots of bandwidth, top support and great stats. :-)

I would love to move to a host who is a member of ABW if there is one. TH Media seems to be gone. The url "thmedia.com" comes up as a search portal.

Can anyone make a recommendation? It would be greatly appreciated!
    Peace,

Rexanne

Rexanne.com
    Loving Everyone's Child Creates Magic

Rexanne,

It's http://www.thmedia.net not .com and Tom is a great guy and many users still use him. I can also recommend httpme.com (no aff link anywhwere) - I use them and have been nothing but impressed ... things did change with the buyout but they are still reliable .... I use them for redirects and other small site hosting.

Depending on what your actually looking for, you might also want to look to globat and touch base with their AM (Scott) and see what they can do for ya - membership does have it's benefits

ABW's three dedicated servers are hosted at rackspace, they do offer shared hosting but I can tell you it is "expensive" but well woth it, if your not a techie.
    Continued Success,

Haiko
    The secret of success is constancy of purpose ~ Disraeli

THANK YOU Haiko!
    Peace,

Rexanne

Rexanne.com

I'm with 1and1.com and they're very good. We searched for a very long time before my friend (sendmemybill) and I discovered them. They're great!

Try it, you can even become an affiliate ('m one but I won't display my link here, unless given express permission by Haiko).

I haven't had any problem with them in about 2 years.

Thanks Fred. I checked 1and1 out last year but there was a problem, probably I couldn't reach tech support which would freak me out. I need my hand held as I move over, at the very least. Just cannot deal with the idea that my site could go down even for a minute or that if there is a problem, I couldn't get immediate and good tech support. I will maintain my current host until the DNS transfer is solid, then drop them, to try to avoid any down time.
    Peace,

Rexanne

Rexanne.com

I never had a complete downtime. Few times the site was slow but it was for about 15 minutes and it comes back to normal.

As for not being able to reach the tech support, I never have had any problems with that. Questions answered in a few hours by email and I must say I never tried the phone support, so I don't know

Anyway, I'm quite satisfied but, maybe I jusst don't know anything

ABW Ambassador
    For hand holding, go for rackspace. Service wise, they are the best.

Price wise... be prepared to pay for such service. You get what you pay for.

Quote Originally Posted by womanht
    For hand holding, go for rackspace. Service wise, they are the best.

Price wise... be prepared to pay for such service. You get what you pay for.
    Thank you for your input Womanht. I have been paying an insane amount for extra traffic at my current host, averaging hundreds of dollars a month for 3 years. I suspect any fair and reasonable host would be better. I am very willing to pay for great tech support, which is why I've stayed with my current host. Their tech support is so good, the tech guy I talked to last month when I was going to move, talked me into staying BUT ... he made me an offer that the company is now refusing to honor so don't know how good that was. LOL

Thank you to everyone who has offered up hosting company names and information! Your input is greatly appreciated.
    Peace,

Rexanne

Rexanne.com

Quote Originally Posted by Rexanne
    I have been paying an insane amount for extra traffic at my current host, averaging hundreds of dollars a month for 3 years.
    How much bandwidth are you using? Most dedicated hosts provide anywhere from 1000 to 3000 GB of transfers per month, for anywhere from $100 per month and up. Overages can be high, so it's usually more beneficial to get multiple servers and share the load if you use more than that. Or, some also offer unlimited bandwidth. I think EV1Servers charges $300 and up for 10mbps and $2000 and up for 100mbps, both with unlimited bandwidth.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelColey
    How much bandwidth are you using? Most dedicated hosts provide anywhere from 1000 to 3000 GB of transfers per month, for anywhere from $100 per month and up. Overages can be high, so it's usually more beneficial to get multiple servers and share the load if you use more than that. Or, some also offer unlimited bandwidth. I think EV1Servers charges $300 and up for 10mbps and $2000 and up for 100mbps, both with unlimited bandwidth.
    Michael, I use 2 GIGS a month. I have no clue what mbps is. Totally not tech capable here. :-) I have not been using a dedicated server, didnt think I needed it.

My current hosting company has since offered a much better rate for traffic overages but they also made me an offer to refund hundreds of dollars from just the past three months, which they have now refused to honor.

I am more than happy to pay reasonable amounts for traffic and good tech support but can no longer stay with this hosting company that made an offer they now refuse to honor. It's shocking to do business with a company that will not honor their word. I was leaving them last month but they offered to refund hundreds of dollars if I stayed. Certainly, I would rather not move my site but now I feel I have no choice but to move on and not rely on a dishonest company.

Thank you for the information. I am learning. :-)
    Peace,

Rexanne

Rexanne.com

There's no way you should be paying hundreds of dollars per month in overage charges for 2GB of transfers. You can get a dedicated server from $100 per month that includes 1000GB or more in transfers. You can get virtual servers from $10 per domain per month that include unlimited transfers.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelColey
    There's no way you should be paying hundreds of dollars per month in overage charges for 2GB of transfers. You can get a dedicated server from $100 per month that includes 1000GB or more in transfers. You can get virtual servers from $10 per domain per month that include unlimited transfers.

I just started to realize this about 3 months ago. :-) Thank you very much for the detailed information. It helps to know the options.

Anyone thinking of hosting with XO Communications ... stay away! They are my current host and while their tech support is fantastic, I think the company is dishonest. Sad to feel I have to "out" them but it's my only reward (revenge? - LOL) for having been, what I feel, cheated. And yes, I did contact upper level support and management to save this situation but they did not respond. *sigh*
    Peace,

Rexanne

Rexanne.com

I've got to second that recommendation of Rackspace. We use them and if you don't want to deal with that aspect of things, the managed hosting that they offer is really a good deal. Obviously if you are looking to host a small site, then I don't think Rackspace would be a good fit.

Quote Originally Posted by seWEB
    I've got to second that recommendation of Rackspace. We use them and if you don't want to deal with that aspect of things, the managed hosting that they offer is really a good deal. Obviously if you are looking to host a small site, then I don't think Rackspace would be a good fit.
    Thank you for your input, seWEB. So far Rackspace sounds like a winner. My main site is about 250 pages and I am more than willing to pay for help to be there if/when I need it.
    Peace,

Rexanne

Rexanne.com

ABW Ambassador
    Rackspace does dedicated servers.

If you have just a few sites with 250 pages each, you might not need all that resource. A reseller host would be a better option, which is so much cheaper.

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    According to Haiko's post, RackSpace has expanded to offer shared hosting, too.
    There is no knowledge that is not power. ~Hemingway

Rexanne how many domains do you need to host?

If just 1 to 8 domains, affordablehost.com can more than meet your needs for $12 or less per month, or 20 domains with 30 gigs transfer for $17.

I've had a few accounts with them for about two years and have had no problems aside from one downtime incident that lasted about 10 minutes.

I second the recommendation for httpme. Check out their prices, I think you'll find they're way cheaper than what you've been paying.

I use them for most of my sites and have gotten good support and good reliability from them.

-- Mike
    A joy shared is a joy doubled.
    A burden shared is a burden lightened.

Thank you all for the great input!

I currently have 3 domains, one is my main site which is a traffic gobbler, the other 2 are inconsequential at this time.

AffordableHost: I signed up with them about 6 weeks ago but it was a big fiasco. No info on how to get started, took me lots of time and grrrrrrrrr to get a refund. Had to go through PayPal and complain before they refunded. They were just sold to a Canadian company and I'm sure that had something to do with it. Their tech support was non-existent at the time, too. Thank you CC for the reco, though. :-)

HTTPME: I read on ABW where they shut down sites without warning. Scary at best, although I have nothing to worry about as far as illegal stuff on my site.

I do not need dedicated servers. A good, reliable hosting company with shared servers is fine. I think RackSpace has shared servers.

Has anyone used or heard anything about Host Excellence? This is another one I'm considering but have no recommendations.
    Peace,

Rexanne

Rexanne.com

I've heard good things about easycgi but have not used them personally.. Maybe someone else here has??
    [SIZE=1][URL=http://www.tastelessandtacky.com]Tasteless and Tacky Gear[/URL][/SIZE]

ABW Ambassador
    If rackspace has shared hosting, why not click on a rackspace banner at abestweb, then order your hosting from rackspace.

They are great at handholding. Guiding newbies etc.
    And they know their stuff.

Just got done chattin with some of the rackspace live support..

According to him they have never done shared hosting and don't plan on ever doing it..

Just a FYI..
    [SIZE=1][URL=http://www.tastelessandtacky.com]Tasteless and Tacky Gear[/URL][/SIZE]

I use addaction.net ... very happy with them. They allowed me unlimited addons and unlimited databases when I asked (not included in the regular plan I was using). When something goes wrong, they are very fast about fixing it. Really very happy with them. I'm currently looking for a 2nd host only because I'd like to try hosting some sites with different hosts for linking purposes ... will keep my main site with addaction.net.

Thank you all again for the good input!
    Peace,

Rexanne

Rexanne.com

25. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread