Double Charges on Paypal Debit Card This Weekend
    I know there are those of you who will immediately dismiss this thread as "off-topic" because it doesn't "directly" pertain to the Ebay affiliate program.

However:

1) Paypal is a part of Ebay so their behavior and policies should be taken into account whether you are deciding to become an Ebay affiliate or if you are already an Ebay affiliate but unsure about staying with the program

2) I know a lot of you in the CJ Ebay affiliate program are also Ebay buyers and sellers. This info could prove to be valuable to you.

So here goes...

On Friday I made a charge using my Paypal debit card at the local post office. That night I was charged a SECOND time for the exact same transaction, meaning, in-effect, I was double debited.

Saturday, I called the long distance # on the back of the debit card to inform them of the problem. They admitted to the obvious theft of my money and guaranteed the money would be restored to my account within 24 hours.

48 hours later.....still no money restored to my account. I called them and this time, after being on hold for forever (long distance remember), they finally said they would put the money back in my account. They refused to credit me for the money wasted on long distance calls to clean up their mistake of stealing from me.

The indication they gave me was, my request to have the money restored into my account just went into an endless queue of such requests. So this apparently happened to tons of people. And the only way to get your stolen money back is to call Paypal and point out their mistake.

There is every indication that those people who don't call Paypal will simply have the double-debited funds stolen from them by Paypal. This could involve thousands, even millions of transactions.

So if you're on the fence about the Ebay/CJ program, I hope this posting opens your eyes to the sordid way that Ebay does business. Lots of people on here knock CJ all the time but ignore the atrocious customer service, policies, and outright theft of Ebay/Paypal. The reality is, they are criminals of one sort or another, trying to steal every penny they can, rarely admitting their errors, and making people go through an endless series of hoops to correct the unforgivable errors of Ebay/Paypal.

So if you used your Paypal debit card to charge anything the least couple days, it's a good idea to double check your transaction history and make sure Ebay/Paypal are not helping themselves to some free cash. Their fingers have obviously been very itchy lately.

ABW Ambassador
    This isn't criminal fraud, you might want to change that title.

Fraud is what Paypal did to the something awful website.
    They put up a donate button for the katrina relif fund. They had the money go to their paypal and they were goign to match it up to a point and send it to the red cross.

they recieved 20k in 12 hours. Paypal froze their account requested shipping information for every product sold and has yet to refund 1 dollar to anyone who paid and instead has kept the money while they investigate.

I've changed the title to be more descriptive.

You should always check all of your credit cards, debit cards, and bank accounts for incorrect or duplicate charges.

I've never personally had problems with PayPal, but I've seen tons of complains from people who have. It seems that you have far less recourse with PayPal than with most credit/debit cards or banks.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

Probably just the holiday wekend, give Paypal another day or two to fix it.

Fred

15 years and counting
    They charged me twice for a purchase I did this week-end with my Paypal Debit Card.

Double-charging is something that can happen with any credit card... not just PayPal.

One other thing to watch for is "pending" and "completed" charges. One of the glitches with Debit Mastercards (such as PayPal) is that the authorization and the charge don't always link up.

Quite often, I've had a "pending" show up on my account, then a "completed" show up as a separate line entry (meaning the transaction has been finalized). The problem is that - until the Pending expires, something like 10 days later - the funds remain on hold.... so, for a while, there are two charges for the same transaction.

Eventually, the pending expires and the money goes back into the account. But it's a pain during the time when the pending is still pending.

I'm not sure why the post office would need to do such things, but it happens quite frequently for online and catalog orders, where the card is "checked" when the order is taken, then "processed" when the order is shipped. Unfortunately, it reads as two separate transactions, not two stages of one transaction.

I've heard - from others - that this happens with most Debit Mastercards, not just PayPal.

Paul

www.paypalsucks.com

read up

and seach for 'paypal' on google, see where the link ranks

Life is Supposed to be Fun! Rexanne's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Aviators
    www.paypalsucks.com

read up

and seach for 'paypal' on google, see where the link ranks

OMG! Scary stuff. I rely on PayPal for a lot of online transactions and use that handy debit card more than I use any other credit or debit card.

I've never had a problem but now I'll be paranoid and watch it like crazy. Last thing I needed was something else out of my control to stress over. ;-)
    Peace,

Rexanne

Rexanne.com
    Loving Everyone's Child Creates Magic

It's my understanding that since PayPal isn't a full-fledged bank, per se, that it doesn't have to live up to the same requirements as a normal bank. For instance, if you report issues with charges at a normal bank, the money is put back immediately until the investigative process concludes.

At PayPal, they just put a hold on it under their care until it's resolved, which means you don't have access to your money. Unless things have changed since eBay purchased them, that's the way it's handled. I only use PayPal to pay for eBay auctions, and when someone doesn't have a standard merchant account.

I never accept money through PayPal, because I've heard too many horror stories about them seizing money and ruining people because of it.

on wednesday(Aug 31) I went to the post office and asked for 30 bucks, a couple of days later I saw a double dip, I'm like: "wait a min, didn't they get it at the window?"

yeah, paypal put it back on Sep 4.

15 years and counting
    They charged me twice on Sep. 1, 2005, was reimbursed on Sep. 6, 2005.
    They did it again with an other transaction on Sep. 3, 2005, still waiting for my money and their excuses.
    Not professional at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy
    It's my understanding that since PayPal isn't a full-fledged bank, per se, that it doesn't have to live up to the same requirements as a normal bank. For instance, if you report issues with charges at a normal bank, the money is put back immediately until the investigative process concludes.

At PayPal, they just put a hold on it under their care until it's resolved, which means you don't have access to your money. Unless things have changed since eBay purchased them, that's the way it's handled. I only use PayPal to pay for eBay auctions, and when someone doesn't have a standard merchant account.

I never accept money through PayPal, because I've heard too many horror stories about them seizing money and ruining people because of it.
    Couldn't have put it better.

Fred

It should be noted that the PayPal CREDIT card is backed by Providian, so they do have to live up to the standards (if you choose to call them that) for that card.

However, the DEBIT card is a different animal, and although PayPal has been sent through the ringer several times on that card, it remains out there.

Just to clarify for those of who may have mentally wandered during this thread.

Also, the PayPal Buyer Line of Credit is backed by GE Capital, so I would assume that standards must be kept on that piece.

I haven't used the debit card, but Providian does a nice job on the Credit Card. Providian actually got smacked pretty good by the Feds several years ago, and have cleaned up nicely.
    Last edited by Noth; September 7th, 2005 at 08:23 PM. Reason: typo

15. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread