Unhappy Yahoo SE
    Sorry if this is a duplicate post or is in the wrong forum.

Last year I had a well performing site booted from Yahoo. Slowly but surely all my other sites are also being booted from not only Yahoo but Google as well.

I was considering paying yahoo for inclusion to their index and was reading some conditions on thier site....

The following is bullet point 3 which can be found here is what yahoo does not want.

http://searchmarketing.yahoo.com/srchsb/sse_gl.php

'Pages that have substantially the same content as other pages on the web, including affiliate content '

Seems that SEs really do not like affiliates. That kinda really leaves me torn as I am IT Pro and can understand why they want to eliminate duplicate content. With that said I learnded how to build datafeed driven sites so I obviously want to have my sites indexed to make some money.

Is anyone still successfully building and maintaining datafeed shopping sites? If so how? Is there a swithch to content based sites? IF so what are some good ways to make a content site generate income??

Thanks,
    Doug

More Cheesier Than Ever Cheesehead's Avatar
    I think yahoo does not really want the template-type affiliate sites that are carbon copies of each other.

I am shifting more toward content with google adsense contextual ads. It's a lot of work up front (like writing a book), but requires little maintenance. Start sharing your knowledge by providing free tutorials - the search engines love these types of sites.
    This World is Not My Home
    We're gonna go inside, we're gonna go outside, inside and outside. . . And then we're gonna go go go and we're not gonna stop til we get across that goalline! Quotes from the movie Rudy, 1993

No, they don't like affiliate content. One of my sites go booted too. But they seen to be following how Google processes listings. But they are 6 months behind. So I recommend waiting a while if you can.

It might be a ploy to get more money out of affiliates. I guess they figure we will freak out a pay to be listed by sandboxing us.
    Luke
    Have you promoted your brand name today?

More Cheesier Than Ever Cheesehead's Avatar
    I have done a little bit of PPC advertising with Yahoo. It seems like their spiders come running to my site where the ads are run. It's worth a shot, especially if your host is giving you $50 of free clicks. You start an ad on a site, run it for a while, then run an ad on another site for a while.
    This World is Not My Home
    We're gonna go inside, we're gonna go outside, inside and outside. . . And then we're gonna go go go and we're not gonna stop til we get across that goalline! Quotes from the movie Rudy, 1993

Blend, blend, blend. My best SERP'd sites on Yahoo are a solid mix of affiliate links with original content. Affiliates will make out if they are willing to do the work. My wife is ready to kill me (I work 9 to 5, then write pages at home til about 10PM), but she does appreciate the extra cash.

I guess my point is: There is no free ride in affiliate marketing. And this is a good thing.

Not a criticism of you, Doug. I'm just pointing out that the internet is a better place if it has value. And it would appear that the SE's see value as original content. Without launching the content vs. sales argument here, it can also be stated that quality sites that provide coupons and discounts certainly have value to the consumer. And I think the SE's should value that as well.

But even a quality coupon site takes maintenance and hard work to stand out from the rest.

6. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread