Lightbulb The latest google adsense tip in action
    All,

I thought I would experiment on the latest google adsense tip located at https://www.google.com/support/adsen...y?answer=23168 and try it out on http://www.dandslinx.com/google-adse...imization.html. Carefully read the text and see for yourself how this works.

Cool The next thing to look for
    All,

I forgot to mention the next thing to look for and I will POST it here is how the page itself indexes on the engines.....out!

Ahh you're talking about section targetting.

Tested it on one of my sites and... I recommend it.

It increased my ad's relevancy and got rid of the crappy ads that sometimes appear.
    Increased click-through rate by 17%. <- Just to clarify: If I were getting 20 click-throughs per 100 impressions, an increase of ~17% means I would now get about 24 clicks. Might not seem like much, but that depends on your market and value of click and traffic volume.)

But that's just one site, I guess it'd have different results for everyone but it does help.
    Only negative is if you try and section target to strict and end up getting no ads.

Thanks for the heads up on this. I'll schedule another 40 hours of work time to update my sites

What's interesting is that I was just thinking about this this morning, on how it would be cool to tell AdSense what to target on, primarily to eliminate competitive URLS without listing ALL of them in the banned area...

Thanks! I was wishing for something like that for some of my pages that get crappy ads. Google does a good job on most but there are a few that get really stupid ones. More work for donna....
    Affiliate Marketing - The hardest easy money I ever made.

ABW Ambassador
    Cool, really helps on forums where it wants to always show hosting ads. I am going to change phpbb to use the first post, see how that works.

Chet

That looks very useful. Thanks!!!

-- Mike
    A joy shared is a joy doubled.
    A burden shared is a burden lightened.

If you need to use "google target" then I feel your page is not properly optimized for a search engine in the first place. When you see google adsense not targeting your pages properly with the right ads its time to re adjust the content to get higher in the search engines in the first place. (this sounds like linkshare or cj spin terminolgy lol)

I am sure there is some pages that wacky ads have shown on but I have never had this happen to me.

NYfalcon: From your perspective, yo are correct. My point above was a little different. I'd like to target specific portions of my pages because they are RELATED, but not necessarily in a position where I'd be serving direct competitive ads. (Especially considering that new competition pops everyday, and there's no way I can ban all the URLs).

As an example, if the page I'm working on is about car starters for an example, but I have a specific paragraph about cars in general, I'd rather see google serve those ads than ads about car starters.

Unless of course you're writing a page specifically to serve AdSense, which you ain't supposed to do anyhow

Good point I was not thinking about "related" sometimes the related click through pays more.

You are correct there, too. On average, for the site I care about the most, it would take me about 15 AdSense clicks to equal 1 small sale, so I've been trying to find away to "pimp" AdSense, as you might say, without pushing VERY interested customers out the door.

The browsers can click whatever they want

Here's where you all jump in and tell me if I had a more compelling Call to Action, I wouldn't have to worry about it...

Good stuff thanks!

Talking Nice Tip
    Kewl Link and tip man!
    Will try it this afternoon

I was just thinking the other day about how many more clicks I would get if the ads were more relevant.

Thanks for this great tip.

Interesting.. what happens if you set it just to look at your <H1></H1> tags? Does that work, or do you need a bigger block for text?
    Innovative advertising with Slimeware Corporation and Telephore. Mail-order fuel with Petrol Direct.

Dynamoo, i've found that it generally needs a bigger block of content/text or else it displays crap or public service announcement ads.
    However, that doesn't seem to be the case if you're targetting those saturated markets (i.e. travel). It works for them (probably because there are so many different ads that any related keyword will find something)

ABW Ambassador
    If you need to use "google target" then I feel your page is not properly optimized for a search engine in the first place. When you see google adsense not targeting your pages properly with the right ads its time to re adjust the content to get higher in the search engines in the first place.
    nyfalcon, I'm afraid I can't agree with that. I've got a site without one single, solitary mention of the word "baby" on the whole, entire site. Right on the homepage today there are ads running for baby gifts - and baby sonograms.

adjust the content to get higher in the search engines in the first place
    If all it took to get rankings was on-page content, everyone wouldn't have to be out whoring after links. If only it were so, and that's all it took. But that's off topic, and one has little or nothng to do with the other. AS also looks at navigation within a site, though there's no evidence they use IBLs.

In addition, they sometimes pick up a topic from an entirely different page on a site and run totally wrong ads simply because of one link in the global navigation linking to the other page. I had to remove a page entirely from a site because due to that one single page there were off-topic ads running in the wierdest places that just plain looked dumb. You do NOT want hand painted, personalized baby piggy banks or breast pumps or diaper cakes on a page with mens gifts.
    Last edited by webworker; October 16th, 2005 at 02:35 AM.

After doing some reading on adsnse forums it seems that people are using targeting very well and it seems to work for them. I still stand by my statement and think it is a waste of time that I could be making more Quality content pages. I actually don't mind when I see baby stuff on my mens gift page as I think that women are the ones looking for the mens gift and will click on the baby stuff except maybe the sonograms. Maybe sonograms is 10 times the $$$ though so I don't mind it.

Maybe the reason for this is the advertiser themselves. I know if I ran a baby site I would focus on where the women surf. Just a theory but it probably would cost less than to compete with other top mens keywords.

I have a gift site that does ok and I don't go whoring for links, actually it is rare that I even take a link. You are right about navigation and I focus a lot on that. Even readjusting the content to put a link in to one of my higher paying adsense ad pages.

This is why I love forums we can agree do disagree my friend
    Vinny O'Hare - OPM - Contact Info email: vinny at teamloxly.com ~ 702-582-6742 Twitter

19. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread