Goog questions
    Been out of touch for a bit and had a few questions about my ex-favorite search engine...anybody?

How strong is the relationship to Amzn? I've heard that Bezos owns a chunk...I wonder if that is part of the % Held by Insiders which is 59.44% or the % Held by Institutions which is 37.90% = 97.34% if my math is right. It makes me wonder why G has a link to Red Cross going through Amzn - also makes me wonder what their backroom deal is with the bigs like eBay, Amzn. I have asked the following question directly to them and get no answer; "are you earning revenue as an affiliate?"

How is this obscene amount of money going to these people?
    http://finance.yahoo.com/q/it?s=GOOG

Is all this valuation based on adsense/adwords? Surely can't be from the accuracy of their searches.
    "The character of a man is known from his conversations."
    Menander (342 BC - 292 BC)

Influencer Marketing GravityFed's Avatar
    many believe that it's Google's goal to become the ultimate affiliate.. not sure where I stand on that assumption, though.

On my personal sites I have seen traffic pick up over the last six months from MSN and Yahoo!, and based on the KWs I watch our SERPs there have not really changed. I have to hope that the market share is in fact shifting.

ABW Ambassador
    Apparently very close. Default Autolink goes to amazon and check out their home page:

http://www.google.com

Donate to the Hurricane Katrina relief effort.

Does it go straight to the Red Cross site? No, it goes to Amazon.

So they're bed buddies, good friends with benefits.

Google really should focus a bit more on the quality of its searches. I'm seeing gradual strengthening in MSN and Yahoo. I also keep hearing from people that Google is "hosed up" and they have to go elsewhere to find the sites they want.

And these comments are coming from non-affiliates, just your typical everyday Internet searcher. Not good for Google to allow this perception to grow.

Andy

Quote Originally Posted by hooligan
    I've heard that Bezos owns a chunk...I wonder if that is part of the % Held by Insiders which is 59.44% or the % Held by Institutions which is 37.90% = 97.34% if my math is right.
    Bezos doesn't work for Google, so he would only be considered an insider if he owned like 5% or more (which he doesn't).

I know the founders own a very large percent, but I can't find the specifics.

Also, I think there's some overlap between the 59% and the 38%, as any institutions that own 5% or more would be considered insiders.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

Well, I consider Bezos/Amzn synonymous, so in that scenario he could be one, both or neither. Also I'm not clear on whether unexcercised options constitute any kind of ownership.
    These folks have their own version of doing things.
    "The character of a man is known from his conversations."
    Menander (342 BC - 292 BC)

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    As for them becoming the ultimate affiliate, they'll have to do a heckuva lot better than their Froogle attempt if they want any chance! That thing doesn't send hit the first unless I click my own listings (for GoodBulbs). Then I get.....my own hit.

Unlike Google Main, it seems that Froogle hardly gets any traffic! Either that or gardeners are boycotting it!

Google really should focus a bit more on the quality of its searches. I'm seeing gradual strengthening in MSN and Yahoo. I also keep hearing from people that Google is "hosed up" and they have to go elsewhere to find the sites they want.
    They should rank more commercial sites up.

I'm not just saying that--I was looking in WordTracker last night, and I'm starting to see more people adding words to the end of their searches like "for sale," "online store," "order," "buy," etc. That means they are looking for stores, but aren't finding them with a simple search using just the keywords of what item they want.

When people aren't finding what they want without having to go back and add clarifications like that, Google is failing in that area.
    There is no knowledge that is not power. ~Hemingway

ABW Ambassador
    Google being hosed up and failing doesn't show up in actual usage stats.

"I'm starting to see more people adding words to the end of their searches like "for sale," "online store," "order," "buy," etc. That means they are looking for stores, but aren't finding them with a simple search using just the keywords of what item they want."

Maybe that's just more people learning how to search. Reminds me of someone asking for good auto affiliate programs. Auto what? insurance, quotes, parts, rentals, repair. I've always thought the problem was more on the user with not finding what they want and slowing they're learning how to search better. I've never had a problem finding what i want with any of them.

"Unlike Google Main, it seems that Froogle hardly gets any traffic! Either that or gardeners are boycotting it!"

Reminds me of when Froogle first came out and people were posting all that Affiliate Killer nonsense. The normal user goes to yahoo.com, msn.com, google.com, aol.com etc and type what they're looking for in the search box they see. Sometimes we forget how the majority of users actually search.

9. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread