Domain Addict / Formerly known as elbowcreek Thomas A. Rice's Avatar
    Color Printers Are Traceable?
    Just stumbled onto an interesting article from last year. Boy, could this technology be used to repress a society, or what? http://www.pcworld.com/news/article/0,aid,118664,00.asp
    Following everyone else is a GREAT way to become average.

So the lesson is ...

If you plan on using your printer to make counterfeit money don't send in the registration form?
    Continued Success,

Haiko
    The secret of success is constancy of purpose ~ Disraeli

Domain Addict / Formerly known as elbowcreek Thomas A. Rice's Avatar
    ( EC fills out the registration form ) Errr, lessee, I live in Indiana, and ummm, my name is HAIKO, hehe
    Following everyone else is a GREAT way to become average.

Most color laser printers are sold by office dealers or through internet or mail-order -- so tracking customers is pretty easy. I bought my Ricoh color laser printer from a local office-machine/copier dealer because he matched the best price I could find online (I bought the printer plus all the toner cartridges and other "consumables" I'd need for 100,000 pages -- since I knew that once the next printer model was released, the cost of my consumables would be jacked up -- and I was right, the toner-cartridge price nearly DOUBLED by the time I'd used up all my black cartridges).

I do recall hearing about this before, but I'd never thought to connect it with my laser printer. I agree that it should be disclosed prominently to purchasers, since it could seriously infringe free-speech rights if someone wanted to exercise their right to distribute anonymous leaflets. However, I'm not worried about it -- it doesn't seem to affect the print quality of my pages, and I certainly don't like the idea of untraceable counterfeit money being printed on relatively low-cost color laser printers.

FYI: Where do you find color laser printers? The number one buyers, according to my dealer, are real estate offices. Maybe they aren't referring to the booming real estate market when they say that a real estate license is a "license to print money." ;-)

5. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread