Anybody -
    I just got an e-mail from someone that wants to order 200 hard drives through my site.

Now I have to send a return email of prices for these hard drives.

Do I just send an advertiser link and keep my fingers crossed or what.

My problem is how would I get commissions for this kind of sale?

And does anybody know of a merchant that could handle this kind of sale Honestly?

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    That sounds FISHY!!

Sorry, but it does. Provided you have a regular affiliate link on your site, this "potential buyer" should know that you're not the store.

Which brings the question, what's he doing contacting YOU instead of the merchant? Granted, it's nice if he goes through your link, but he could have done that in the first place but didn't.

If he's not trying to find a weak link (as in, someone not so equipped to spot a bad CC, for instance [not saying that you can't but he may be looking for such]), then he wants a Volume Discount.

Since you're not the merchant, you won't have the authority to make deals on the merchant's behalf. Although if there's a volume discount on the merchant site, definitely mention it!

If there IS a volume discount, I would make a page "just for him" with a direct link to that part of the merchant site and try to pitch him to order from that.

It's WAY too easy to lose part of the code in an email link (I get lots of emails that cut off the last half of the code!). Don't assume he gets HTML email--I know I end up looking at a batch of code and chopped links when I get an HTML mail (Jumpline's got a web mail system so I use that--it can be routed through another email program but what's the point when it'll work without doing?). While the site-based tracking has worked well for me, I do think email is iffy at best. Too iffy for a transaction of 200 hard drives!

Anyway, if the email link doesn't work he's liable to just type the main URL of the merchant into the browser and *poof* there goes your commissions. So I'd definitely suggest a web-based link for him to click so you have the best chance of seeing the commish.

Although I do have to say again, it sounds fishy. Only a store/merchant would want that many hard drives!! But a store/merchant would just buy them wholesale unless your merchant is REALLY (fat chance, although a lot of stores will claim it!) offering them at "below wholesale prices".

Sounds more likely that he wants to buy them on some stolen CC and then peddle them on a streetcorner or out of a backroom somewhere... leaving the merchant holding the bag when the card's reported stolen and you with el zippo!

Leader -
    Thanks for the reply.
    You are very wise, after reading the whole email, it is from Africa.
    More then likely someone with a bum cc.
    I sent them an email link anyways, I'll wait and see what happens, you just never know.

Thanks Again

QuietRiot,

I get them all the time for ink cartridges from Africa. I contacted one of my merchants and they told me they are all fraud that they get a ton of them each day. I thought I had a hefty comish coming.

5. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread