is globat good
    Can anyone who has been with globat.com share their experinces with me....i would like to buy hosting space from globat as they are giving 10gb of webspace at throwaway price...but i just want to be sure before jumping into it..

I use them for one of my sites for the past 6 months.. It's been very slow a couple of times and I've contacted their tech support probably half a dozen times..

I'd say that three out of the 6 times I didn't get a response until my second attempt.. The other times they were slow to respond..
    [SIZE=1][URL=http://www.tastelessandtacky.com]Tasteless and Tacky Gear[/URL][/SIZE]

Internet Cowboy
    Search for their name here on ABW and draw your own conclusions.

thnx for your replies..i h0pe i get some more suggestion/feedback

HI id2k,

Globat's support is mediocre, you can read more about it webhostingtalk.

Network & infrastructure wise, they're solid. I'm in the cage next to Globat's at 1 Wilshire and they're rapidly expanding with good hardware.

Tuan

thnx TLE..

I've been out of the office this past week, otherwise I would have responded sooner. Most of the comments above are correct. Due to explosive growth we've had our share of support and network issues in the past, and we have learned from it. We have hired and trained more technicians and upgraded all of our hardware. Also, one important fact that people often forget or gets neglected by the "x-company sucks-posters"; usually the majority of a web hosting company's customer base is pretty happy or they would simply leave their hosts. Many of the posts you can read out on the Internet are written by people with mediocre to bad experiences. While these "problems" are VERY unfortunate (and, trust me, we do whatever we can to save a customer), they are virtually unavoidable. We cannot and will never be able to make everybody happy -period. However, the vast majority of our (and I would say most major web hosting company's) customers are very happy with what we do (otherwise we'd be out of business by now). Also, our latest (2005), independant(!) customer survey showed that 93% of our customer base (over 75,000) rated their experience with Globat.com between "very Good" to "Outstanding". That's not to say that there isn't room for improvement, but its not bad either and puts things in perspective.

This is from their user agreement

3.5 - If prior to the end of the agreed on Term, Customer cancels the Services for any reason, or Globat terminates the Agreement due to Customer's breach of the Globat User Agreement or Acceptable Usage Policy, Customer will be charged a US$150.00 Breach-Of-Contract fee per domain package and per hosting account as liquidated damages. Client also forfeits any prepaid service fees. At no time shall customer receive a refund of any prepaid service fees.

I have an account that needs to be renewed next week, and want to transfer it...but I'm STUCK with globat even though I need a better host for that account &@#$#^*@!

Lola, two questions: Why are you stuck and what are we not providing you with that you feel you need a better host?

Quote Originally Posted by id2k
    Can anyone who has been with globat.com share their experinces with me...
    Give me a couple days and I will share mine with you.

Geno

Firstly, I am unable to connect to publish my blogs on a globat site, because I use blogger. I am also limited in what I can use in .htaccess. I just feel that the improvements I need to make to some of my sites are impossible on globat. I have a few smaller sites I am not going to move though.

Oh ya, if you use their support chat, and after 45 minutes or so of waiting, and you have to go pee, DON'T beacause they won't wait for you if its your turn

Quote Originally Posted by lola
    ...I am also limited in what I can use in .htaccess.
    Working through the .htaccess issue with them now. Will report to y'all how this resolves for me...

Geno

I recently found that someone had somehow gotten into my site, and posted a phishing site. I called up globat.com, only to find that they deleted all the files on my account. AND they locked down my account, but told me to delete the file (I couldn't delete the file because they locked down my account). Finally they unlocked my account which is when I found out every site, all the data, everything was gone (globat.com erased everything). They then sent me an e-mail listing the file that was phising, and the IP address of the person that uploaded the file. Well I did a WHO-IS lookup on the IP address, it was a globat.com IP. Here's the IP if you don't believe me 216.193.201.53. Also here is an online conversation I've had with techsupport about a week ago.

Arvin: may I know the link where you encountered this issue?
    matt : http://cheatn. .com
    matt : in the admin section
    matt : uploading pictures for a photo gallery
    Arvin: may I know what particular link?
    matt : to go components - > ponygallery ML - > upload pics
    matt : put a jpg image in there
    matt : and try to upload it
    Arvin: I cant find any word named ponygallery in this page
    Arvin: http://cheatn. .com/administrator/index2.php
    matt : hover your mouse over "components"
    matt : its in that list called "pony gallery ML"
    matt : on the header drop down menu
    Arvin: w8 I'm using Mozilla
    Arvin: One moment please, while I check this for you.
    Arvin: it seems the page is loading fine in my end
    matt : lol
    matt : upload a jpeg image
    Arvin: I got this successful message
    Arvin: Cheat'n Thursdays / com_ponygallery / upload
    Arvin: Back
    Arvin: cpanel
    Arvin:
    Arvin: Upload completed. Choose next picture
    Arvin: it seems I have not encountered any error
    matt : did you upload a real jpg, or an image that had a different extension and renamed to jpg
    matt : i just tried it again, and recieved this error
    matt : Internal Server Error The server encountered an internal error or misconfiguration and was unable to complete your request. Please contact the server administrator, and inform them of the time the error occurred and anything you might have done that may have caused the error. More information about this error may be available in the server error log.
    matt : is there a way to view the server error logs
    Arvin: To enable error reporting, please create a file named prepend.php under httpdocs and place this content:
    Arvin: <?
    Arvin: error_reporting(E_ALL);
    Arvin: ini_set('display_errors', '1');
    Arvin: ?>
    Arvin: Did you have any other questions, I can assist you with?
    matt : i need to get this working
    Arvin: yes, please check if you have correctly set all the paths in the installation
    matt : it works for other types of image files
    Arvin: Below are some paths you may find useful:
    Arvin: Document Root:
    Arvin: /usr/local/psa/home/vhosts/YOURDOMAIN/httpdocs
    Arvin: Cgi-Bin Absolute Path:
    Arvin: /usr/local/psa/home/vhosts/YOURDOMAIN/cgi-bin
    Arvin: Perl: /usr/bin/perl
    matt : just not jpg
    Arvin: please verify this issue with your software source
    Arvin: unfortunately, we do not provide support for troubleshooting third party scripts and softwares
    matt : it works on other servers that have workign version of GD and GD2
    matt : it's not a problem with the code, it's a problem with GD and GD2
    matt : which you have installed on your servers, and I cannot modify or change
    Arvin: here are the details of the softwares installed on the servers
    Arvin: http://www.globat.com/miscellaneous/softver.htm
    Arvin: there are still no plans of updating the installed versions as of the moment
    Arvin: we are truly sorry for the inconvenience
    matt : so you're telling me you don't want my business?
    Arvin: nope, unfortunately we do not provide support for third party scripts and software
    matt : wow
    Arvin: please verify the error that you are experiencing with the source of the software
    matt : that is amazing
    matt : you just told me you don't want my business
    Arvin: Did you have any other questions, I can assist you with?
    matt : well I hope you know that this conversation will be plastered on every blog i can think of
    Arvin: I think its better that you ask this in the forums under the topic of the software that you are using
    Arvin: I think you have skipped a step in the installation that caused this issue
    matt : it's not a problem with the software, it's a problem with the GD and GD2 libraries
    matt : it works for every other image type
    matt : not jpg
    Arvin: unfortunately, I cannot tell you exactly since I am not aware of the software that you are using
    Arvin: we are truly sorry for the inconvenience
    matt : it's software on your server
    Arvin: nope we do not have installed all the GD library
    Arvin: checked this our
    Arvin: gd
    Arvin: GD Support enabled
    Arvin: GD Version bundled (2.0.28 compatible)
    Arvin: FreeType Support enabled
    Arvin: FreeType Linkage with freetype
    Arvin: T1Lib Support enabled
    Arvin: GIF Read Support enabled
    Arvin: GIF Create Support enabled
    Arvin: JPG Support enabled
    Arvin: PNG Support enabled
    Arvin: WBMP Support enabled
    Arvin: XBM Support enabled
    Arvin: see that...
    Arvin: "JPG Support enabled"
    matt : well it doesn't work
    Arvin: that means there are no problems in the servers
    matt : you just said "Arvin: nope we do have installed all the GD library"
    Arvin: its in the software
    matt : and then you list the fact that you do
    matt : you have no idea what you're talking about
    matt : is there a representitive of globat that I can have contact me?
    Arvin: I mean there are no problems on the server
    Arvin: that's why I said "nope"
    Arvin: because JPG Support is enabled
    matt : well I would recieve an error message in the code, if there was a problem with the code, not a 500 internal server error
    Arvin: the internal server error is caused by the software itself
    matt : because it's trying to use the gd or gd2 which is not working correctly
    Arvin: yes, however I have verified that the GD is compatible with 2.0.28

ABW Ambassador
    matt : well I would recieve an error message in the code, if there was a problem with the code, not a 500 internal server error
    No you wouldn't. The software certainly can cause it, or something else on your end can cause an internal server error.

Arvin: the internal server error is caused by the software itself
    He's absolutely right. Either that, or it's something with how you've set permissions, or it many times can be caused through something in .htaccess which is very common.

misconfiguration
    Right there is the clue - it can easily be with the way the script is configured, and mod_rewrite errors in particular can cause 500's

This has nothing to do with Globat. In fact, I can make a 500 internal server error message happen on any server I have hosting with. I've got plenty of practice with it, I've done it many times.

ABW Ambassador
    http://encodable.com/internal_server_error/

It is not Arvin's job to give you a personal tutoring crash course in Apache 101.

Obviousliy you didnt read the part where he says he doesn't want my business, or completely contradicts himself, or when he claims to have tested the webpage, but when I viewed it there was no test, or when he spells wait "w8". These are things a professional company should not do if they want business. I'm simply imforming people of the type of company globat.com is, and telling them to stay away.

Oh, and by they way, it was a problem with their GD2 library, and they needed to re-install it on the server I was hosted on.

OR THE PART WHERE GLOBAT HAS LOGGED INTO MY ACCOUNT AND POSTED PHISHING WEBPAGES, CAUSING PEOPLE TO SUE ME. What a fantastic company, I love how you didn't bother to address that part in your little rebuttle mr. globat.

Or the part where globat randomly bills your credit card for non-sense packages/upgrades you don't want.

Or the part where tech support calls you profanities on the phone and then hangs up on you.

Or the part where they pay people to flame your posts on the net.

18. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread