Implementation Example
    Hi,

I'm new to this datafeed thing, I would like to promote Buy.com. Is their someone here who can point me to an example of a buy.com datafeed website using Webmerge?

Thank you in advance.

Internet Cowboy
    That probably won't happen. Most affiliates keep their site quiet on the boards, but check out this tutorial. It is a great start.

Affiliate/AM Moonlighter dflsports's Avatar
    I highly doubt anyone is using buy.com feeds with webmerge. The feed is huge. You would have to take hours (many, many hours) to break up the feed to be usable.

Quote Originally Posted by dflsports
    I highly doubt anyone is using buy.com feeds with webmerge. The feed is huge. You would have to take hours (many, many hours) to break up the feed to be usable.
    What is the best way to use Buy.com's datafeed to make a datafeed site.

Thank you.

?????

No need to break up the feed due to its size. However, it will use lots of storage space on your server, once complete.

Fred

Quote Originally Posted by mdaisy
    What is the best way to use Buy.com's datafeed to make a datafeed site.

Thank you.
    That's a tall question, and not easy to answer. Can you be more specific?

Fred

Affiliate/AM Moonlighter dflsports's Avatar
    Fred,

In my experience with webmerge, large datafeeds are nearly impossible to run with webmerge. Could be my machine but I doubt it. You ever try to open a feed over 100 meg with webmerge and then run it with your template files? Times out every time. I do not have the Buy feed but I have to imagine that the feed has to be closer to the walmart or shopperschoice feeds and they each are over 200 megs when unzipped. Again this is just my experience with large feeds.

Quote Originally Posted by buy_online
    That's a tall question, and not easy to answer. Can you be more specific?

Fred
    What I really want is build a website using Buy.com's data feed. What is the best way to do it.

Thank you.

Fred,

In my experience with webmerge, large datafeeds are nearly impossible to run with webmerge. Could be my machine but I doubt it. You ever try to open a feed over 100 meg with webmerge and then run it with your template files? Times out every time. I do not have the Buy feed but I have to imagine that the feed has to be closer to the walmart or shopperschoice feeds and they each are over 200 megs when unzipped. Again this is just my experience with large feeds.
    I used to have difficulties on my old 350MHz/Win98 machine. That was also several iterations of WebMerge ago too. For the last year or so, I have been able to run larger feeds like buy.com (took a stab at Walmart too {long-story}), without problems on 2GHz/WIn2k. Took a heck of a long time to run (more than an hour), but it just kept on chugging along.

I am going to venture a guess about WM doing larger feeds on win95/98 and millenium as being a stretch though. Purely a limitation of those old windowz OS's (IMHO).

I said it before, and I'll say it again. If anyone thinks they can't afford a new OS (upgrade from win9x), they're wrong. I purchased win2k pro at overstock auctions for $ 26. last year. Those who upgrade will end up with a much more robust OS for bargain basement prices.

Quote Originally Posted by mdaisy
    What I really want is build a website using Buy.com's data feed. What is the best way to do it.
    Thank you.
    I can only speak in generalities, since your question is so general. Buy the tools suggested at my site or Frank's site (See links above). Or learn a programming/scripting language like PHP or perl and design and build your own site.

If you're not familiar with the tools suggested, you'll really need to get more educated (on those subjects) before you can go any further. Datafeeds are probably not for someone just starting out (you may not be, but I have to say that).

Fred

Internet Cowboy
    I run large feeds with WM with ease. You need a fairly fast machine with lots of RAM, but WM works great with large feeds.
    Mdaisy, take a look at this thread. You will find step by step instructions on how to make a great datafeed site using php. This is a very viable alternative to WM. Dirk has taken most of the learning curve away, but there is still some technical knowledge needed.
    Best of luck!

12. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread