How Can I Make a List of Authors Like This?
    On this web page there is a list of authors -http://www.bookauthors.com

If I wanted to do something similar such as a list of mystery authors, how do I begin?

The home page of bookauthors.com (one of my ae.pl example websites) contains a hand-coded list of authors. That's an actual index.html file on the hard drive of the server.

The "Books > Top Sellers" at the top is an SSI call to ae.pl to show top selling books. The "2005 Calendars > Top Sellers" at the bottom is an SSI call to ae.pl to show top selling 2005 calendars. So those two parts of the page are dynamic and do change. The rest of the page is static HTML.

If you're not aware of who some of the mystery authors are, do a google search for "mystery authors" and you'll probably find some authors or lists of authors.

Not every webpage has to be generated by ae.pl. You can create your own home page or category pages and link to AE searches or particular products. That's what I did at myCDshelf.com (another of my ae.pl example websites).

Yours truly,
    Cusimano.Com Corporation
    per: David Cusimano

Thanks. That is a big help. I just didn't know whether you were doing something special to pull this information or not. I will give it a try!

Dave,

Is it o.k. if we follow your format as a guide? This is exactly what I want to do to establish an author database.

Sure, as long as you don't copy it 100%

Yours truly,
    Cusimano.Com Corporation

Dave,

One other question - I know I have seen this many times but don't remember where - for the section that states "browse and mode" you have codes listed such as 70023 - where do I find these codes and what they stand for?

FAQ "How do I determine the browse number to use in type=browse&mode=NUMBER ?"

Yours truly,
    Cusimano.Com Corporation

One final question and I think I'm ready to go with this - on the section "more" browse (T) (for example) - This list is coming from Amazon.com - correct? So there is no way to add an author's name to this list - we would have to add the name to the first page. Is that right?

At my AE sample website bookauthors.com, everything other than the home page is generated dynamically by AE based on the data that Amazon.com provides. (As mentioned earlier, the two Top Sellers sections on the home page are also generated by AE).

The "T > more..." page is generated by type=browse&mode=70041 --- You can't add entries to browse index pages. (FYI, in latest AE beta you can delete entries by setting browse.delete.NUMBER = yes in ae.ini).

Yours truly,
    Cusimano.Com Corporation

10. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread