Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Marketing Mistress Lectrickitty's Avatar
    So ya ever wanna just throw your hands up and walk away?
    I've been thinking about updating my sites for the past few days. I need to do some PR work to get the traffic moving, and clean out a few merchants, add some new content, etc.

I know I need to get it all done, but I just can't get motavated to do it. It's like I've totally lost interest in the sites and don't want to be bothered with them anymore.

Anybody else feel that way? I hope I get out of this slump soon or my sites will be so outdated I won't have any sales at all!
    [color=blue]"Those who give up their freedom for a little security deserve neither freedom nor security" - Benjamin Franklin[/color]

Lectrickitty, hang in there I've thought so many times this last few months about packing it all in. I'm looking for a job but I am keeping my sites.

You never know, google can just as easily start to send you thousands of visitors as it started sending you next to none.
    One day parasites and their ilk will be made illegal, I bet a few Lawyers will be pissed off when the day comes.
    Mr. Spitzer is fetching it nearer

YouTrek

There are definitely those days, weeks, and months. Whenever I get really frustrated, I sometimes tackle a new project that interests me. And if that starts to work, it remotivates me to go back to ones that used to work.

Also, sometimes reading the over inflated hype posted by some AM's gets me excited too...

BTW, love your sig, Gordon. It's amazing how our beloved NY Attorney General has made a name for himself in so many ways. He's running for governor this year too.

We've probably all been at some time. If you work on it often and just have a spell where you don't feel like working on it, then take a little break from it and do something you enjoy. If it's been a while and you still feel that way, then maybe do just a little bit each day so you feel good about getting something done and don't feel guilty for abandoning it. Find some small wins. If you feel this way for a long time, then it may be time to consider a change.
    Greg Rice Affiliate Program Management
    www.gocmc.com info(AT)gocmc.com | 330-259-1223

Join us! - MiNeeds.com | DiscountCandleShop/CheeseSupply | Feng Shui Plaza

I usually work on at least one site every day and I've loved doing it for several years. I built sites long before I learned about AM.

Maybe my vacation made me lazy. I need a vacation from my vacation. I was suppose to take off and go again for another week or two, but I changed my mind because I just want to set around and do nothing for awhile.
    [color=blue]"Those who give up their freedom for a little security deserve neither freedom nor security" - Benjamin Franklin[/color]

Web Ho - Design B!tch ~Michelle's Avatar
    You are not alone.

I have had a heck of a time getting motivated on working on my own sites lately. I have been doing the updates on sites that aren't mine, but I maintain, but when it comes time to do my own I really have to push myself!

I would rather curl up on my bed and watch TV or read a book lately.

I have had it happen before, and it does pass though.
    ~Michelle
    "All I ask is a chance to prove that money can't make me happy."
    "Work to become, not to acquire." -- Confucius

Thanks Michelle for the good words of encouragement. I think I'm having a pity party here all alone and need a good swift kick in the butt to get moving again.

I just bought some books on ebay and I'm anxious for them to get here so I can curl up and learn java, php, mysql and whatever else it was I bought... LOL

A bit of down time and I'll come back refreshed ready to hit the ground running.

I like that "Web Ho - Design B!tch" byline you carry. Is there a story that goes with it?

It can be a tough job, Lectrickitty, but stick at it. As others have suggested, take some time off and recharge your batteries if you can.

Good luck

Web Ho - Design B!tch ~Michelle's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Lectrickitty
    I like that "Web Ho - Design B!tch" byline you carry. Is there a story that goes with it?
    One of my clients (jokingly of course - or at least I hope..LOL) calls me that.

When we got to suggest tag lines here Haiko gave me that.
    ~Michelle
    "All I ask is a chance to prove that money can't make me happy."
    "Work to become, not to acquire." -- Confucius

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    I'm looking for a job~Gordon
    Oh no!! That's awful My sincere condolences! (not joking)

Lectrickitty: I've had that happen too. The last time, I decided that the only solution was to eradicate even more w*rk out of the system, so I simply wouldn't have to do much with all my sites!

Of course, the great paradox is that it takes upfront w*rk to avoid later w*rk. So I began a journey into learning enough PHP to automate things. Fortunately it didn't take a huge amount, for the level of PHP needed (not much).

It's a lot easier to motivate myself to run a 10-minute sequence that'll update 5 of the sites, than to do a 25-hour marathon for ONE site. Now the only problem left is motivating myself to get ALL my sites onto the system...

To be clear, the 5 sites are NOT just copies of each other. Some of them only use a portion of the data, and they've all got different lead-in spin, too. But the PHP code takes care of what to show, how to display it, etc. Losing the ongoing w*rk of "standard maintenance" is where I've seen the most benefits, so far.

It could actually be *totally* automated, but the amount of w*rk to learn the method for it, and then change over to, a system that'd be failsafe requires more motivation than I've been able to gin up. It's easy enough to just verify the presence of a new CJ feed (and make sure it isn't corrupt) manually, and then type in the few commands to get it into the database the way I want it.
    There is no knowledge that is not power. ~Hemingway

Hey I've had some pretty rough and disappointing stretches myself, esp. the fall of Inktomi and the infamous Florida update. Took a long time to recover, but with the nose to the grind, things eventually got much better. Even though income dropped by about 90%, the thought of getting a "job" never even crossed my mind.

I know I need to get it all done, but I just can't get motavated to do it.
    The prospect of having to plug in the alarm clock and chase a commuter train in the morning to do somebody else's grunt work for 8 hours in exchange for a tidbit of their revenue is all the motivation I need.

If what you're doing isn't working out, you've got nothing to lose by trying a different approach. The philosophy should be: "There's plenty of money to be made on the internet, I may as well get my share, with whatever reasonable method may be necessary."

Troll Killer and best Snooper!
    I decide when the pigs fly!
    LK, when I've felt like you feel now I force myself to work. I might go outside and sit in the sun for a couple of hours or pull weeds or do some other mindless thing while I think about what I can do to improve my sites, but then I make myself do the work. A lot of it is very boring and repetitive, I admit.

Take a break from the designing and the data uploading but while you're taking that break think, do research, think some more, look at your data and try to figure out why the things that work do work, and the things that aren't working don't. I know that where some of my older pages are concerned I've lost some perspective. I'm so used to looking at them that I don't seem to have any "aha!" moments any more. Ask someone who you respect to look at your sites and give you feedback. Are they easy to use and read, are there any surprises (generally bad), are they too cluttered, etc.

No shame in walking away if it's become too unpleasant for you to continue doing. Everybody needs a change of scenery once in a while and maybe you'll feel refreshed if you alter the view. Good luck with whichever decision you make.

When I get this way i just go over to yahoo latest buzz and get a new idea for an existing site. I feel there is no time for me to think about giving up.

Quote Originally Posted by Leader
    I decided that the only solution was to eradicate even more w*rk out of the system, so I simply wouldn't have to do much with all my sites!
    That's my goal also. I just bought about 5 books on ebay to help me learn java, php, mysql, and something else (CSS or CGI or something like that?) Hopefully I'll be able to automate much of my web w*rk.

Quote Originally Posted by Chocolate_Chicken
    "There's plenty of money to be made on the internet, I may as well get my share, with whatever reasonable method may be necessary."
    Excellent philosophy!!!

ABW Ambassador
    Maybe a Mercedes Benz test drive for some motivation or you can talk to my gf about work and learn about who's stabbing who in the back and the cost of gas.

you can talk to my gf about work and learn about who's stabbing who in the back and the cost of gas.
    Trust... Are you dating my wife?

One of my problems is my better sites were news oriented and I've got where I just hate the news. Also part of what I've done in the past is chatting and such and I've got where I just don't like people. :-) Since my father and I opened a new retail store I've really got to get over my bad mood.

But I swear if one more person pops their head in the door of our store to ask where a competitor is located I am going to go totally looney. I mean it is similar if these people have the gaul to go into a Dairy Queen and ask where the nearest McDonalds is located.

Anyways, Lectrickitty, I know what you mean. Except for certain things I can't do without I might consider joining a monastery.

Immediate motivation - updates you make now will be ready for the main shopping season, at no other time of the year will your $$ per hour reward be greater.

I know how you feel though, I've finally started to automate my updating process and it's wonderful to do it in a fraction of the porevious time (looooong way to go yet though).

Another thing is the "eating the elephant" syndrome. I started probably the most ambitious section yet on one of my sites earlier this year, did the basic structure and now need to fill it. I eventually started yesterday and found I'm enjoying it, I knew I would, but the size of the task just makes it so easy to not start.

I find having several sites on completely different topics helps as I don't get totally bored of everything at the same time.

Lectrickitty.. hang in there. As Haiko has it in his sig.. Secret of success is constancy of purpose.

cheers!
    -nishith

Lite On The Do, Heavy On The Nuts Donuts's Avatar
    The parasites stealing my ppc spend get me down frequently. I've seen my business erode significantly when they move into my merchants programs. It gets me down, and then so mad that I start imagining ways I could torture the bastards and then I turn the madness into motivation somehow. How they sleep at night is my question - riding on the backs of others - it totally pisses me off. And if I meet one more inexperienced merchant that claims to run a clean program but doesn't even understand who metrics direct is and what they do, my head will pop like a giant zit!

I do find hope in others - like your post here - we share a common bond in our struggle - and somehow that is reassuring in itself.

LK,

Not sure where you went on vacation, but when I get hung up, unmotivated, or whatever, I find it's mostly that I need some bright light (sunlight or bright indoor light) and most importantly, people contact. Time with the spouse and kids isn't really enough.

The best thing for me is to go to the mall.

1) It gets me out of the house and away from the desk and screen that are nagging about work I have to do.
    2) It gets me walking, blood pumping, brain working.
    3) There are lots of bright lights, especially in the jewelry counters of the big department stores.
    4) Sometimes I see marketing ideas in the "real world" that I can transfer to a site somewhere.
    5) There are people to talk to at the food court, or even just eavesdrop on a bit.
    6) I sometimes get inspired by something I want to give myself or a friend - and set a monetary goal of "growth income" from my sites that I will set as the trigger to get that reward.

A trip to the mall might not get me going on an all-nighter that same day, but it's usually enough to break the spell.
    Tom C.
    [URL=http://www.cafepress.com/simplesignshop]Simple Sign Shop[/URL]

Every day leave someone or something better than you found it.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Ward
    Immediate motivation - updates you make now will be ready for the main shopping season, at no other time of the year will your $$ per hour reward be greater.
    Unless the SEs decide what you are working on does not need to be indexed or they index in like 142,542 place....

Not to be a downer but Lets just say I can relate.

Thanks,
    Doug

Quote Originally Posted by Look4
    LK,

Not sure where you went on vacation, but when I get hung up, unmotivated, or whatever, I find it's mostly that I need some bright light (sunlight or bright indoor light) and most importantly, people contact. Time with the spouse and kids isn't really enough.

The best thing for me is to go to the mall.

1) It gets me out of the house and away from the desk and screen that are nagging about work I have to do.
    2) It gets me walking, blood pumping, brain working.
    3) There are lots of bright lights, especially in the jewelry counters of the big department stores.
    4) Sometimes I see marketing ideas in the "real world" that I can transfer to a site somewhere.
    5) There are people to talk to at the food court, or even just eavesdrop on a bit.
    6) I sometimes get inspired by something I want to give myself or a friend - and set a monetary goal of "growth income" from my sites that I will set as the trigger to get that reward.

A trip to the mall might not get me going on an all-nighter that same day, but it's usually enough to break the spell.
    Yeah, Malls are cool to get away from the computer. Also, antiquing is a good escape. Really good if you are into Ebay for when back at the computer.

Sure at least once a week, but then on my day job I'm an MT, so work 8-10 on computer for the job, take a break, get a couple of hours in on my sites before the kids come in. Deal with them. More computer work. Dinner. More computer work. So basically by the time I get off work Sat, I'm through. I take this really, really long nap (sometimes it gets so long either hubbie or kids get worried and check on me just to make sure I'm still breathing, of course). Sunday is iffy. Monday, I'm usually raring to go again. Of course, unless I'm really in a funk, then I might just look at my computer and groan.

LeDonna

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast