What should I use?
    I am currently working on a new site, and I want to have my navigation bar links be able to be updated, without having to go to each page and update it manually. What kind of language or script would I have to use to do this. I am good with HTML but that is about it. Any help would be appreciated.

search google for ssi Server Side Includes

php includes work too

--Brian
    Oregon Publishing: Web Development, Graphic Design, Domains & Marketing
    Deluxe Banners Bartender's Guide Cooking Jobs

Do your design in your favorite html editor, change the file extension of this .html page to .php. Then do the design of your menu in a new html file, change the file extension of this .html page to .php too. Now where you would have put the menu in your index.php, put this:

let's say that menu.php is the menu you want to include and is in the same directory of your index.php

<?php include ("menu.php"); ?>
    I don't know how you design your pages, but everytime you will want your menu, call the include code above for your menu.php to be included. Of course your server will have PHP!
    "Effective people are not problem-minded; they're opportunity minded. They feed opportunities and starve problems."

If you are running on Apache as the web server you don't need to change file types to be .php

You can get the Apache webserver to pick up php code in .htm files by adding the folloing code to your .htaccess file in your root directory

#-----------------------------------------------
    RemoveHandler .html .htm
    AddType application/x-httpd-php .php .htm .html
    #-----------------------------------------------

As always there is no such thing as a free lunch do so the price in this case the webserver has to do a bit more work so there is a slight performance hit.

Hope that helps

Les

Marketing Mistress Lectrickitty's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BigEmpire
    I am currently working on a new site, and I want to have my navigation bar links be able to be updated, without having to go to each page and update it manually.
    That's exactly what I've been trying to do for a long time now. I've read books on php, java, javascript, cgi, ssi, C+, etc. until I'm blue in the face. I've learned tons of useful stuff and wasted time learning tons of stuff I'll never use, but I still haven't figured out how to make a single links page that can be called with a code.

It's probably so simple that I can't see it. Kind of like can't see the forest for the trees, or is it can't see the trees for the forest... either way it's elusive to me.

It seems to me there should be a simple javascript code that would work, but I haven't figured it out yet. I found out how to do images using an external .js file, but it won't work with a navagation bar, or at least I haven't been able to make it work... yet.

I'm almost to the point of giving up and paying someone to write it for me.
    [color=blue]"Those who give up their freedom for a little security deserve neither freedom nor security" - Benjamin Franklin[/color]

Front Page Users
    For those that use Front Page, use the borders for universal top, bottom left nav or right.

Poops

Marketing Mistress Lectrickitty's Avatar
    WOO HOOO!!!

I just made it work!!!
    [color=blue]"Those who give up their freedom for a little security deserve neither freedom nor security" - Benjamin Franklin[/color]

As everyone said Server Side Includes are the way to go. Best option available for what you are trying to do. My knowledge is also limited to html but since I learned about SSI my biggest problem is solved. One simple line and there you are.

Only thing you need to make sure that you insert the required code in .htaccess and your web hosts supports SSI.
    <DT>[size=1][color=navy]"The best measure of a man's honesty isn't his income tax return.[/color][/size]<DT>[size=1][color=navy]It's the zero adjust on his bathroom scale." Arthur C. Clark[/color][/size]</DT>

Like the others say, SSI would be jsut what the doctor ordered..
    [SIZE=1][URL=http://www.tastelessandtacky.com]Tasteless and Tacky Gear[/URL][/SIZE]

I agree with sendmemybill's solution. I don't think SSI is a good solution because it's incompatible with PHP. The two aren't made to work together on the same document. Also, I believe more hosts support PHP than SSI. I consider SSI very old and outdated. If you don't expect to add any PHP in the future you can go with SSI, but be prepared to swap out your SSI if you ever decide to incorporate PHP.

- Scott
    Hatred stirs up strife, But love covers all transgressions.

Perl

somefile.cgi

#!/usr/bin/perl
    require "../common.pl";
    &printhead;
    print "some content here";
    &printfoot;

common.pl
    #!/usr/bin/perl

sub printhead {
    print qq[
    <html><head><title></title></head>
    <style>
    html {
    background-image: url("../../images/bg.jpg");
    }
    div.content {
    background-image: url("bgc.jpg");
    }
    </style>
    <body>
    <!-- Begin Nav -->
    some nav menu
    <!-- End Nav -->
    <div class=content>
    ];
    }

sub printfoot {
    print qq[
    <br><hr>
    <center><font=1>Copyright &copy 2005</font></center>
    </body>
    </html>
    ];
    }

Quote Originally Posted by Snib
    I agree with sendmemybill's solution. I don't think SSI is a good solution because it's incompatible with PHP. The two aren't made to work together on the same document. Also, I believe more hosts support PHP than SSI. I consider SSI very old and outdated. If you don't expect to add any PHP in the future you can go with SSI, but be prepared to swap out your SSI if you ever decide to incorporate PHP.

- Scott
    But if they change to PHP won't it hurt the page rankings when you change them from .html ??
    [SIZE=1][URL=http://www.tastelessandtacky.com]Tasteless and Tacky Gear[/URL][/SIZE]

Quote Originally Posted by hotspice
    But if they change to PHP won't it hurt the page rankings when you change them from .html ??
    .html can be parsed as PHP by modifying your Apache settings. Then a 302 redirect can be used in the .html document to redirect to the new .php document. At least that's how I'd do it. That way you're telling the search engines that the page has moved and you don't lose any of your old traffic or rankings.

Of course you can keep the .html extension and execute your PHP code within it, but I prefer the .php extension.

- Scott
    Hatred stirs up strife, But love covers all transgressions.

14. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread