It's hard to be a webmaster
    I'm adding sites to my directory when I encountered this line:

You agree not to create a hypertext link from any web site controlled by You or otherwise, to this Site without the express written permission

Sometimes it sucks to be a webmaster, How are we to put content on our website when even putting a link needs a written permission. I have already encountered 3 sites that state this. Do I really need to ask each and everyone for a link to their site or will I get into trouble by putting a link anyway?

Or is this just a policy of big corporations?

I wonder if those sites are listed in google?
    Now I wonder if google emailed them asking for permission?

More Cheesier Than Ever Cheesehead's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by UKJ

You agree not to create a hypertext link from any web site controlled by You or otherwise, to this Site without the express written permission

Sometimes it sucks to be a webmaster, How are we to put content on our website when even putting a link needs a written permission. I have already encountered 3 sites that state this. Do I really need to ask each and everyone for a link to their site or will I get into trouble by putting a link anyway?

Or is this just a policy of big corporations?
    Seems a bit silly! This would probably not hold up in any type of legal action. I'm sure the scraper sites, which is what they are probably trying to stop, would totally ignore this warning since they probably add info via some automated software.

Placing a link to someones site with an original description or limited amount of text (like title) from the site in a directory is the equivalent of mentioning the title of a book on your site. I suppose if the website name were a trademark, they might have a case.
    This World is Not My Home
    We're gonna go inside, we're gonna go outside, inside and outside. . . And then we're gonna go go go and we're not gonna stop til we get across that goalline! Quotes from the movie Rudy, 1993

I suppose that big sites with strong brand recognition don't need inbound links to get traffic, but my question is this.

What kind of an agreement are you signing simply to include them in a directory? I'm just wondering where the legal issue could be.

If you're not signing anything, I would say that the verbiage on their site that prohibits IBL's is suspect at best.

It's similar to someone asking you for directions on the street. "I'm sorry... I can't tell you where Starbucks is. They don't want me to."

Influencer Marketing GravityFed's Avatar
    blame the scraper's for this issue.. wouldnt see it otherwise.

Need permission to add their link to your site? The last time I checked the internet - the sharing of information electronically - was public domain. Excuse me. I will place any link I want on my site. If they don't like it.... so? and?
    [B][COLOR=Red]I look forward to Google's demise[/COLOR][/B]
    Look who is suing Google - [URL=http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=google+gets+sued]click here[/URL] and [URL=http://search.msn.com/results.aspx?q=google+gets+sued&FORM=MSNH&srch_type=0]here[/URL] and [URL=http://search.yahoo.com/search?p=google+gets+sued&fr=FP-tab-web-t&toggle=1&cop=&ei=UTF-8]here[/URL]

They probably just want to avoid being associated with websites that have negative content. Just imagine if the offical AlQueda website listed that they thought your site was cool. Probably not the kind of link trade you want.
    [font=verdana][b][size=3][color=red]Are you familiar with [URL]MaxBounty.com[/URL] yet?[/color][/b][/size][/font][font=verdana][b][size=1][color=black]
    Over 120 merchants with CPA/CPS programs seeking affiliates
    Over 4500 network publishers seeking programs to advertise
    Earn $100 per merchant and 5% per affiliate on the second tier [/b][/color][/size][/font]

ABW Ambassador
    Ignore it. Nothing they can do if you link to them.

Chet

Life is Supposed to be Fun! Rexanne's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by UKJ

How are you agreeing to this? Do the sites require you to click on this TOS before entering? Seems silly. Hell, I don't care who links to my sites. Bless their hearts, twisted or otherwise. :-) You're not adding a link to YOUR site on theirs so it shouldn't even be an issue. Link away, I'd say. I link to various sites all day and never had anyone ask me to remove their link.

Reminds me of a family member who was aghast that I would add a link on my site AS A FAVOR to a friend of hers without "asking." Like I was violating her friend's privacy. Her friend had a new site that was in my niche market. I happen to have a LOT of traffic and this could only benefit her friend but she saw it as a bad thing. Grrrrrrrrrrrr - Some people just don't get it. You'd thing a web master would.
    Peace,

Rexanne

Rexanne.com
    Loving Everyone's Child Creates Magic

Troll Killer and best Snooper!
    I decide when the pigs fly!
    I have a small niche directory. I once added a link to a relevant site in Germany and got an email from the owner...you're not going to believe this...who wanted me to PAY HER for linking to her site. How's that for confused?

Quote Originally Posted by Rhea
    I have a small niche directory. I once added a link to a relevant site in Germany and got an email from the owner...you're not going to believe this...who wanted me to PAY HER for linking to her site. How's that for confused?

OMG LOL! That's the best one yet.
    Peace,

Rexanne

Rexanne.com

Lite On The Do, Heavy On The Nuts Donuts's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Rexanne
    Hell, I don't care who links to my sites. Bless their hearts, twisted or otherwise. :-)
    Except that Google might punish you for it...

Quote Originally Posted by Donuts
    Except that Google might punish you for it...

Really? I did not know this could happen. This would explain this thread better.

Meanwhile, if someone is running a nice, clean site, it should be OK?
    Peace,

Rexanne

Rexanne.com

Lite On The Do, Heavy On The Nuts Donuts's Avatar
    Google says incoming links can't hurt you - so others here will tell you not to worry... and really, you shouldn't - the chances are small that you could be hurt in the Search Engine Results Pages / SERPs unless someone coordinated getting many bad links to you (cuz google says lots of links from bad neighborhoods is also bad). So don't go kicking a black hat seo champ in the chin just to test the "i can't be hurt by incoming links theory"...

Hi Thanks for the replies. Two of the sites I visited are stated on their terms of use...that you agree to blah blah once you use their site.

Another one I found is under a Legal Notice with a more strong wording:

"Any and all implementation of a hyper-link toward the present site shall be forbidden, and shall require the express, prior permission of...."

How elitist! well maybe they are pretty elite. It's hard to be an affiliate marketer. And now this...it's hard to be just a plain webmaster. I'm not even earning a commission on those links.

P.S. One of the above sites has an affiliate program

P.S. One of the above sites has an affiliate program
    Sooooooooo.... You can link to them only when they're paying for it?

While I still can see a reason behind their legal, it makes it a bit funnier when you consider them paying commission to people for linking to them otherwaise...

Lots of big companies that still don't "Get It" have these kinds of TOS. Most are remnents from 3 or 4 years ago as many large company marketing departments were still afraid of the Internet and how it worked, etc.

The terms are somewhat enforceable though. About 3 years ago there was a large firm with a really silly theme song that was posted on a number of sites, all of which linked to the actual company's site. That company had a TOS that prohibited unauthorized linking, and they took a nubmer of the sites to court when the sites ignored the C & D letters. The sites backed down immediately, usually replacing the link with a non-linking text of the company web site and a bunch of text explaining how stupid the company was.

I don't know how many of the firms still think this way, but I would not be surprised if there are a number of marketing departments in large firms that still think the Internet is a fad that will pass and all will return to print ads and television again soon.
    Tom C.
    [URL=http://www.cafepress.com/simplesignshop]Simple Sign Shop[/URL]

Every day leave someone or something better than you found it.

Quote Originally Posted by gmarcoccia
    blame the scraper's for this issue.. wouldnt see it otherwise.
    Hi All, what's a "scraper"? Please explain it for the ignorant?

Ditto Noth, I too can't believe that it can be against the law to tell someone how to get somewhere?

Hi All, what's a "scraper"?
    Hi Humblefish,

Scraping is like harvesting...as in collecting email addresses from a page or site, you could also scrape content, images, etc...a way of collecting information.
    You collect the data and either dump it into a database or use it in a program or just simply archive it.
    "The character of a man is known from his conversations."
    Menander (342 BC - 292 BC)

About a year ago, a mainstream blogger discovered a site with legal verbiage like what you found. That blogger did a rant about it and linked to it (of course) just to prove he could. Everyone in the world picked up on the piece and also linked to the site mentioned. Guess what happened? That stupid site was suddenly number one in every search engine in the world. I lost interest in the story before I found out if it was really Corporate Stupidity or the smartest marketing mind I've ever observed. Could be either.

Anybody want to link to my sites just to piss me off? I wouldn't sue you!

That site was suddenly number one in every search engine in the world.
    OK,, everyone link to me !!!
    Find us at shareasale.com 12% commission
    Shareasale Merchant 7191
    PLAZAN SKIN CARE As seen on TV . Used by Jennifer Lopez

Quote Originally Posted by hooligan
    Hi Humblefish,

Scraping is like harvesting...as in collecting email addresses from a page or site, you could also scrape content, images, etc...a way of collecting information.
    You collect the data and either dump it into a database or use it in a program or just simply archive it.
    Thanks Hooligan,

I thought it was these people that take and put the name, discription, and keywords of your site and several others on the bottom of theirs, sometimes with or without a link... I looks like they copy and paste the info from search engine results and then they get all your keywords and I get no traffic. What do you call that?

Well, thats a form of scraping also, in this case they scrape your meta information and reformat into themed listings for se rank.
    The internet is evolved into 3 groups...the content providers, the content thieves and the hybrids who steal content and reformat it to make it look less like out and out stealing.
    "The character of a man is known from his conversations."
    Menander (342 BC - 292 BC)

Thanks hooligan,

Sorry I'm getting back to you so late: I think you got lost in the shuffle.

So can anything be done about the people that do the form of scraping that I describe?... I'm pretty sure that that they are a big part of the reason that my site is down in the dumps when it comes to google... Last time I did a search for my site by name google put the scrapes up first?

25. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread