Direct Track?
    Hi Everyone,

This is probably not the right forum, but I thought I'd give this post a shot. Do any of you work with merchants who use Direct Track, and do you have any feedback you would like to share?

Thanks!
    Alyssa

DT stinks as a product oriented affiliate management program. It was built around the leads industry, and has not adapted well to products.

Do a search here and on other boards for Direct Track, and DT. Though some forums are already gone of merchants who use DT.

That said, if you are just interested in putting up text links and banners for your main tracking methods and don't need (why not???) stats on where your clicks are coming from or what they're buying, the tracking does work.

Hi Alyssa,

Are you a merchant who is looking for a platform to use, or an affiliate who is looking at a Direct Track merchant?

Until recently, YouCanSave.com (which was bought by Wonderfulbuys.com) used Direct Track as an affiliate and tracking system.

If you're looking at it from the merchant's side, I do have some comments - both good and bad - so PM me if you want details.

Paul

Hi Paul,

Yes, I am a merchant who is looking for advice from merchants who have used Direct Track. I also wanted to get some affiliate feedback to see if anyone has trouble using the interface or does not want to log into each merchant's site separately.

I'll PM you for info. Thanks!
    Alyssa

Paul, as it turns out I can't PM you, I don't have enough posts. You can email me at affiliates@cardscan.com if you don't mind.

Thanks!

No problem...

I can give you a brief Pros / Cons list from my experience, and will e-mail you so you can contact me with questions.

Pros:

- Unlimited Links... you can have as many text and banner links as you want (unlike CJ).
    - Decent tracking
    - o.k. reports
    - No CPA attached (a flat monthly fee, starting at $50, is all that's charged.

Cons:

- Not the friendliest interface
    - Adding new links can become quite tedious

But the biggest con, and one of the reasons we don't use them anymore, is that they don't monitor the affiliates in their system - at all. What you get is access to the software (similar to a Web analytics package), that's it. That software includes a certain number of clicks, and then you're billed for overages. They don't claim to monitor activity, unless you opt-into specific programs (which cost more).

If you are planning on using this with a very select few partners as a way of tracking their sales, that isn't an issue, and DT can work just fine for that.

But if you open the program up for general affiliates, you also open yourself up for a HUGE overage bill.

In CJ, if an affiliate starts sending you thousands of clicks a day it can lower your EPC and is usually a sign that something is up with the affiliate (forced clicks, for example). This can easily be addressed and investigated.

In DT, if an affiliate starts sending you thousands of clicks a day it can not only effect your overall campaign, but it can also result in you exceeding your click limit and - if you're not monitoring it closely - it can cost you.

Think of DT as a cell phone. If you trust the people you're lending it to, you should be fine. But if you simply leave it on the table for everyone and anyone to use, you're taking a big risk.

I'm not saying that the way DT has set it up is wrong... there are plenty of tracking and analytics programs that don't monitor who does what, they just report it. I just don't think the way DT has it set up is the best for an affiliate program.

To recap - as a tracking program, for specific partners, Direct Track works quite well and is relatively inexpensive.

If you're looking for a cost-effective affiliate platform in order to recruit and build an affiliate base... I would look at Share-A-Sale instead.

Hope that helps.

Paul

Wink
    I also agree the DT, just like any other tracking system has it's pros and cons.

It all depends on what you are looking for.

For us, DT has been good so far. They seem to be improving every week. They recently added a fraud meter tool, which will give you a feel for an affiliate who is attempting to join your program, and let you know if this person has had a history of fraud or potentially has some warning signs of someone who may be a fraud. This, I feel is a very important feature. Many merchant networks don't care who is promoting their offer, just as long as they are making money. All that is going to do is allow for affiliates with no association with your company, other then the fact that they are an affiliate, to basically blacklist your company/product. Which is never good. So I think as far as helping monitor your affiliates, with DT, it's primarily up to you, but their fraud meter has really become a valuable tool to help monitor and screen affiliates before they even promote.

Their system itself can be kind of a pain in the butt at times, constantly having to hit refresh. It gets kind of annoying. It goes slow at times.

I find their overall system fairly easy to use. Our account manager as been a great help to us and that is nice to have. Whenever we have a question or concern, they are typically quick to help.

Their set-up fees and monthly charges are also pretty fair for the services they offer. However, if you start to exceed you bandwidth and recieve an overwhelming amount of clicks, that can start to get pricy.

I know I just kind of jumped all over the place, but basically:

DirectTrack =

one more note on Direct Track that I found out after I had posted my last reply...

We have had a few problems lately with DT being really slow for us andconstantly having to refresh. Our contact at DT said that it shouldn't be like that and it might be something internally with our system. So...he is flying down here to San Diego, just to help us figure out why DT is going so slow for us. NOW THAT'S SERVICE!! I can guarantee you won't get that from most the other tracking systems out there.

ABW Ambassador
    I don't like them. I like the MYAP tho for merchants.

I work with DT as an AM and I find that the interface is relatively clean and easy to operate. For someone/a company that is focused on CPL/CPA, I think DT is a decent tracking system to use.

This thread is almost 2 and 1/2 years old.

Vietnam Veteran 1966-1970 USASA
    ABW Forum Rules - Advertise At ABW

Ahh my mistake, I came here after seeing another DT related thread and didn't check the dates.

13. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread